Ford 4000 Running problems

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford 4000 Running problems

Matt Greazel
TomG : I have a ford 4000 1961 that was running but wanted it to run better.

----------------------------------------------

Just off-hand, I'd guess that the carb float is sticking. It runs the fuel out of the bowl, then stops. Fuel slowly enters the bowl, which allows the engine to run for a few seconds at a time. Wait a longer time, and the bowl refills. In terms of spark, remove one plug wire and insert a long screw. Hold screw end near the block, crank and look for the spark. However, it's not a conclusive test, because a weak spark will sometimes fire in open air but not under compression.

Matt Greazel What can I do to prevent the float from sticking?

TomG : What can I do to prevent the float from sticking?

-------------------------------------------

A comment on another board about fuel line restrictions is another possibility.

I imagine the carb rebuild instructions described procedures for installing the float valve and adjusting the float level. The floats I've seen are on light metal arms that can become bent and allow the float to contact the bowl sides. A float that rubs on the bowl sides could remain up after the fuel level decreases, which may kepp the valve partially shut off.

I have to speak about carbs in general since I've never seen this one. However, I'd remove carb top, which should expose the bowl and float, and I'd inspect the float for any obvious problem. Then, the fuel shut-off valve can be turned off, and the fuel can be drawn out of the bowl with a suction device (a large vet syringe maybe). The float should lower smoothly. The fuel valve can be turned, and the float should rise smoothly. The float arms can be bent if the float rubs on the bowl sides, and the float level adjustment repeated. If the bowl takes a long time to re-fill, there may be a line restriction or the float vale isn't working properly.

Matt Greazel I ended up adjusting the float needle and also changing the igition wires. The tractor runs for the first time in 2 years. and it runs pretty darn good. finally i could mow the back 40, it was gettin really tall.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: