Ford 3000 Steering Box overhaul

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford 3000 Steering Box overhaul

Kevin Hi

My steering box has about 3/4 of a turn slack. I have adjusted the box, but still have the slack. I now think the problem is with the recirulating balls on the steering shaft.
Can any one tell me if I can remove the box and steering shaft without removing the fuel tank and body covers.
Also what oil / grease does the steering box take????

Any ideas / help would be great.

Kevin

Baba best overhaul is with unit removed from tractor.adustment screw for each sector shaft and shim pack between steering column and housing to remove play.nhd oil m-2c53-a (80-90 gear oil)
Robert Griffey (Timberstone Farm) Hello Kevin, It may be possible to work on the steering without the instrument panel housing and gas tank removed, but I removed them. Have not removed the whole steering unit from the tractor, but agree that it might make it easier to access and adjust the gears in there. Agree that cleaning out the old gear oil and replacing it with new clean 90# grease would be a good improvement. The problem with slack in the middle of the steering travel is inherent with the type of wear that the design of the steering column "worm & dog" endure when they engage the pitman gear of the first steering half shaft arm. There is great force and wear right in the middle of the steering play and this creates the slack. I tried adjusting (with the adjusting screws and lock nuts on the sides) the slack in the middle of the steering travel but it made the rest of the steering arc bind. So, I took out the two steering half shafts (the first has 2 gear sectors and the second has only 1 gear sector) and cleaned them. Found that the problem was excessive wear in the middle of the travel of both gears for the half shafts. I tried to find a machine shop that could grind down or mill the gear teeth clean and smooth, but none so far will touch them. I priced the shafts at the dealer and each one is more than $400.00 These are not available used or aftermarket. What I plan on trying is to very lightly grind the gear teeth while keeping the same wedge and section shape of each of the teeth. This could be hard because it is very tough metal. All this is very time consuming. Wish us both luck.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: