Ford 2000 hydraulics for wood splitter

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford 2000 hydraulics for wood splitter

Tony I want to build a long splitter and hook it to my hydraulic system on my Ford 2000. Is the pump on the tractor strong enough for this use? I have a single spool remote control valve without dentents under the seat which I think would be used for in and out hoses. Would I also need a seperate valve or could I just use this one to control the log splitter piston? It dosen't look to complicated but I would like to do it right the first time. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this, Tony
TomG : I want to build a long splitter and hook it to my hydraulic system on my Ford 2000. Is the pump on the tractor strong enough for this use?

------------------------------------------------

I don't know the pump GPM rating, but some people who run splitters from tractor hydraulics aren't too happy with the cycle times. Splitter hydraulic cylinders tend to be large-diameter and long stroke. It might be a good idea to estimate the volume of oil required to make a complete cycle and compare that with the pump rating.

I believe that specialty control valves for splitters are available and listed in places like the Northern Tool catalogue. A splitter could be run from an ordinary control valve for a rear outlet or a loader circuit could be used. However, such a setup wouldn't be very safe.

If a valve without power beyond is used, it should be the last valve before the sump. Standard plumbing for many auxiliary hydraulic systems on hydraulic manifold blocks put the return line back in to the high pressure line that goes to the 3ph. I believe such a setup may damage the splitter valve if it is operated when the 3ph may be inadvertently in lift position.

Tony : : I want to build a long splitter and hook it to my hydraulic system on my Ford 2000. Is the pump on the tractor strong enough for this use?

: ------------------------------------------------

: I don't know the pump GPM rating, but some people who run splitters from tractor hydraulics aren't too happy with the cycle times. Splitter hydraulic cylinders tend to be large-diameter and long stroke. It might be a good idea to estimate the volume of oil required to make a complete cycle and compare that with the pump rating.

: I believe that specialty control valves for splitters are available and listed in places like the Northern Tool catalogue. A splitter could be run from an ordinary control valve for a rear outlet or a loader circuit could be used. However, such a setup wouldn't be very safe.

: If a valve without power beyond is used, it should be the last valve before the sump. Standard plumbing for many auxiliary hydraulic systems on hydraulic manifold blocks put the return line back in to the high pressure line that goes to the 3ph. I believe such a setup may damage the splitter valve if it is operated when the 3ph may be inadvertently in lift position.

Tom, The pump on the tractor is rated at 4 GPM. I was going to use a 24inch long cylinder with a 4 inch bore. I don't know what that would equate to in volume but I would think it would be under 2 gallons. If this were the case would it take 30 seconds to cycle? Also, you said running the splitter from the control valve for the rear outlet would not be safe. Would placing the specialty control valve (with a detent and power beyond)in line between the splitter and the ordinary control valve solve this problem? Thank you for anwsering my post, you have been a big help, Tony

TomG
STEFANO BUFALINI : : : I want to build a long splitter and hook it to my hydraulic system on my Ford 2000. Is the pump on the tractor strong enough for this use?

: : ------------------------------------------------

: : I don't know the pump GPM rating, but some people who run splitters from tractor hydraulics aren't too happy with the cycle times. Splitter hydraulic cylinders tend to be large-diameter and long stroke. It might be a good idea to estimate the volume of oil required to make a complete cycle and compare that with the pump rating.

: : I believe that specialty control valves for splitters are available and listed in places like the Northern Tool catalogue. A splitter could be run from an ordinary control valve for a rear outlet or a loader circuit could be used. However, such a setup wouldn't be very safe.

: : If a valve without power beyond is used, it should be the last valve before the sump. Standard plumbing for many auxiliary hydraulic systems on hydraulic manifold blocks put the return line back in to the high pressure line that goes to the 3ph. I believe such a setup may damage the splitter valve if it is operated when the 3ph may be inadvertently in lift position.

: Tom, The pump on the tractor is rated at 4 GPM. I was going to use a 24inch long cylinder with a 4 inch bore. I don't know what that would equate to in volume but I would think it would be under 2 gallons. If this were the case would it take 30 seconds to cycle? Also, you said running the splitter from the control valve for the rear outlet would not be safe. Would placing the specialty control valve (with a detent and power beyond)in line between the splitter and the ordinary control valve solve this problem? Thank you for anwsering my post, you have been a big help, Tony

tom
I am building a large wood splitter and a bit confused as how to run the hydralic lines? Anyone w/any info?

Tom

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: