4000 PTO Question/Problem

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

4000 PTO Question/Problem

Danner I recently purchased a '69 gas 4000 with SOS. Great low time tractor, but the PTO will spin when not engaged. With a mower attached, it takes a few moments to spool up, but it will reach full rpm although not engaged. If I put the mower in tall grass while disengaged, it will slow to a stop. When engaged, it runs as it should. Any ideas on what needs to be corrected to keep the PTO from running when not engaged?

Thanks,

Bill Danner

Peter UK hey Danner this is a wild shot in the dark but if it has a live pto it could well be that the pto clutch worn out or has started to slip.
dont hold me to it though. Peter UK

James If I remember correctly there is an internal brake on that PTO drum since it's controlled by hydraulics.
Bob I just purchased a gas Ford 4000and it has an SOS transmission. What is this? I am not familiar with the term SOS. I've always owned John Dere. Bob
James Select-O-Speed a semi automatic transmission.
NLB-Mo. The 4000 SOS has a 10 speed power shift transmission with independent pto. It can be engaged at any time. Over time the pto brake will wear enough to allow the shaft to continue running. It will not be under power, but is an aggravation. Will cost a few dollars if you fix it.
Newell-Mo The 4000 SOS has a 10 speed power shift transmission with independent pto. It can be engaged at any time. Over time the pto brake will wear enough to allow the shaft to continue running. It will not be under power, but is an aggravation. Will cost a few dollars to fix.
Bill Danner Thanks...that's what I thought; more money to spend.

I appreciate your informative reply.

Bill Danner/Eastern Kansas

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: