Ford 801 that will not stay running

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford 801 that will not stay running

John I have an 801 with a very strange habbit of shutting off. I have repalced most electrical components including the battery, and generator. I have swapped out most remaining parts with another 801... and the problem continues to occur. With a meter I have checked the continueity of wiring and found no problems. But yet the last time I had the trator running, it quit in the middle of a field, and I have been unable to get it running ever since. Anyone have an suggestions, or know who would have the solution? I live in NY.
Al Willistein Hi John, I found a common problem is a sticking
carborator float. You can get a rebuild kit easily
through Ford antique tractor website and possibly
your local tractor supply store.

montana_charlie I bought an 871 twelve years ago which started easy and ran great, but it would sometimes die unexpectedly.

When that happened, it would not restart.

Each time, I went through the routine of checking everything electrical, and everything always checked good...and then it would start right up.

It finally dawned on me that in order to check points, I always removed the distributor cap...and eventually put it back on.

After I bought a new distributor cap, it never happened again.

james l bell John, your tractor has a gravet flow fuel from the fuel tank. the hole in the fuel tank and the fuel line is very small. (the hole) make sure the line is tapering all the way down to the carburator. you might have to reroute your fuel line to get enought fuel to your carberator. i had this problem with my 801. the outlet hole in your fuel tank is very small and easy tocloug up. check it carefully and make sure when you undo line the fuel line at carb. that your fuel runs freely. i am taking for granted that you are getting fire to your plugs.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: