Charging Light on 3600 won't go out

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Charging Light on 3600 won't go out

Dean in Indiana I have had the altenator checked out and replace the regulator (all the goop had melted out of the old one) and the light will start out bright, then go dim as I increase the rpms but it will never go completely out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Mac How the charging light works is when you switch on the key you send power to one side of the lamp,the other side of the lamp has a light wire that goes to the alternator to make earth,the earth is made through the alternator brushes,when you start the engine the alternator starts proudcing power the earth is broken and the light will go out,if any part of the wire is touching ground between the lamp and alternator the lamp would remain on,with the engine stopped take off the light wire from the alternator and switch on the key,the lamp should not light,if it does it is grounding somewhere,if it does not light it would point to a fault in the alternator,what I have said above only applies to an alternator with a built in regulator
Mac

Dean in Indiana Thanks for the detailed information Mac, but I have an external regulator.
rs Here's one we learned the hard way. Those tractors come with either a 51 amp or 32 amp alternator. If you put a 32 amp on a tractor that came with a 51 amp then the light will not go out unless it is reving high rpm's.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: