SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1966 Ford 3000 runs rough

Geno My Ford 3000 has consistently been running rough when it idles fast...it's ok at low idle and it starts right up. Gave it a complete tune-up (wires, plugs, points, rotor, air filter, cleaned the sediment bowl). Spark seems ok. Then replaced the carb with a new Zenith and added a new fuel shut-off valve. New coil also. Same problem. With new gas, still runs lousy at high idle....with dry gas, same thing. I don't know what else to do! Can anyone please help? Not much use as it is now... Thanks!
ponymare You didn't mention changing the dist cap, check and make sure the tab on the rotor is touching the carbon plug in the center of the cap. It might be worn down or broken, also check the timing.
Geno I did change the rotor, cap and points but I did not check the timing. I'll figure out how to do that and give it a go Thanks.
JT If you have a dwell meter, hook it up and look at your dwell reading. If it is jumping around, the dist. shaft bushings are worn allowing the point gap the change. If you dont have a dwell meter, remove dist. cap and check for play in shaft.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: