SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ford 3000 smoke coming from safety starter switch.

Stanley Hayes Tractor wouldn't start. Replaced the safety starter switch. Tractor started up three times. Went to start it the forth time and smoke came out safety switch wire hole and tractor didn't start.Replaced wires and switch. Started up and worked it for an hour. Went to restart it. Did the same thing.What's wrong?
sixbales Howdy Stanley,

Greetings from the SSB Ford/New Holland tractor forum.

Is your transmission fluid level above the "full" level putting the safety switch and/or connector in oil? Is your transmission fluid "milky" looking due to water in the oil?

I'm wondering if your starter is pulling excessive current for some reason (Possibly a winding shorted to ground?)? I think an auto parts store can test your starter for excessive current draw.

Maybe your engine is binding up? Have you been having engine problems lately? Have you run the engine low on oil?

Stanley Hayes Thanks for the advice.
Bruce did you ever find out what the problem was? I am having a similar issue.
stanley hayes No i haven't. Have you? Changed transmission fluid to proper level. Still smokes. Bypassed the safety switch and started it but that is not safe. The tractor runs great that'S my only problem.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: