SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

555D Backhoe PS pump

Danadj The steering works good until hot and the loader bucket is full. I know there is a bypass valve that can be shimmed if the pressure is not holding. I just wanted to see if anyone here has gone down this path or if there is something more I should do first. BTW, I have replaced the filter inside the reservoir.
sixbales You need a service/shop manual for your tractor. Or perhaps you can get your local CNH dealership to make a copy of pages pertinent to servicing the PS pump. SSB, sponsor of this forum has manuals. Also keep an eye on ebay for manuals.

First thing to check is the pump output pressure. Install a "tee" fitting into the pressure line of your PS pump to mount a pressure gauge. You need to determine the relief pressure setting of the pump (dealer should be able to provide) to size the gauge. My GUESS is a 2000 psi gauge. With the engine running at 1000 rpm, turn the steering wheel full right or left up against the stop and read the gauge. Don't hold it up against the stop too long, to prevent possible pump damage. Then let it warm up well and re-check the pressure with fluid hot.

I guess I would expect some pressure loss with hot fluid, but I don't know how much.

What fluid are you using in your PS system?

If your pressure is low, the manual will guide you
regarding shim thickness to add for a given pressure increase. Don't exceed specified pump pressure setting or you risk blowing seals elsewhere in the system.

Good luck.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: