SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

brakes & rear axel seals

vic my brake bands are soaked with oil . how do I replace the seals?
Ed What model Ford do you have??
vic 1975 3400 diesel
Ed
Re: brakes & rear axle seals

New Holland parts diagram of rear axle components

Ed With previous post, I tried to send you a Ford diagram of the rear axle assembly, but it didn't upload. You can access this diagram at Messick's Farm Equipment, or on the New Holland Online Parts Store.

You need a shop manual before getting into this project. SSB, sponsor of this site has manuals. Tractor Supply stores have them as well, and ebay usually has a good supply. Cost varies, but normally $35 (max) should cover an I&T shop manual.

To have oil soaking the brake shoes, there are two seals leaking: 1) the Inner oil seal for axle, and 2) The outer bearing grease seal. The outer seal retains the bearing grease. The outer bearing is packed with grease, but it’s probably been flushed out by the oil.

To remove either axle assembly, support the rear of the tractor, disconnect the brake linkage, remove wheel/tire, and brake drum. Unbolt the axle bearing retainer from the axle housing, and remove the axle shaft, retainer, bearing assembly, and brake camshaft from the axle housing as a unit. Take care not to lose or damage the shims between the bearing retainer and axle housing.

The axle shaft inner oil seal can now be replaced. Pry out the old seal and drive in a new seal (lip facing in).

To replace the outer bearing grease seal, you will need to build or borrow (if they’ll loan it to you) a couple of special tools from your CNH dealer. First tool is a long socket wrench to remove/replace the big nut that holds the bearing retainer on. The second tool is a long bearing puller (about 30" long) to pull the retainer off. You will also need a press to put the bearing back on. Recommend that you have you CNH dealer do this work. To save some money, you can is remove the axles from the housings and take the brake shoes off. Take the axles with the backing plates to your CNH dealer.

The procedure for doing this work is pretty well explained in a shop manual.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: