Ford 601 Workmaster

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

Ford 601 Workmaster

Bock C My husband and I know basically very little about farm
tractors except that we need one. We have 7.5 acres to
mow, a garden to plow and a one/tenth mile stone drive-
way to plow when it snows. We have been looking at a
601 Workmaster. Can anyone help with specifics of what's
good and bad, what to look and listen for?

Thank you,
C. Bock

Charles Hanna I'm new to this board but have been lurking for awhile.

I've been using a "borrowed" Jubilee for a couple
of years now for dragging dirt with a box scrape,
lifting things with a boom, moving dirt with a bucket,
and pulling things with a chain. The 601 is an
improved model of what I am using and this size tractor
is well balanced and handles nicely. I'm convinced
that mowing with a tractor, unless its flat and wide
open is crazy, if you have uneven terrain and trees
you will eventually want a zero turn radius mower,
but the 601 with a bushhog, or finish mower or both will
suffice for a long time to come. Unless the garden
is an acre or more, plowing or tilling with it will
also be overkill. But for a "gentleman farmer" or
"small land baron" you probably will be quite happy.

P.S. If you buy it go to the New Holland dealer and
spend the $20 to get a spin on oil filter kit, best
investment I made on my friend's Jubilee.

Just my two cents worth.

Charles

MHetler : My husband and I know basically very little about farm
: tractors except that we need one. We have 7.5 acres to
: mow, a garden to plow and a one/tenth mile stone drive-
: way to plow when it snows. We have been looking at a
: 601 Workmaster. Can anyone help with specifics of what's
: good and bad, what to look and listen for?

: Thank you,
: C. Bock
A 601 ford workmaster will do what you want easily. It is about 32 horsepower. It can pull a 2 bottom plow, power a 5 ft rotovator, pull a 5 ft disc, and a small drag. For a one acre garden it will make short work of it. For plowing snow it will work just fine. The tractor has a three point hitch powered by a hydraulic system that is independent of the power take off. This means that you can pick up a rear implement without having the pto in gear and running. On ford tractors prior to the 600 and 800 series--8N and 9N-- the pto has to be running to pick up the three point hitch. This can pose a challenge. Depending on how much snow you get, it will work O.K. to push snow. We used a 641 ford to plow snow with a rear blade-for 30 years- until I put a plow on my pickup. The tractor was fine but the farmstead got too big and I like the warmth of my truck cab.
For mowing, It has plenty of power for a brush chopper or a finish mower. We run a bush hog with ours to mow 14 acres of grapes and it does the job just fine. Depends what type of cut you want-- lawn or field.
For comparable prices look at fastline.com. You can enter the tractor model and size and they will give you some choices. Some other models of Fords are comparable. 2000, 3000, 4000, 861, 801 are some of the model numbers in this tractor size range. What to look for when buying one? No oil leaks is a plus, working brakes, smooth running engine, no blue smoke from the exhaust on acceleration or at all -- black smoke may mean the carburator is too rich--blue smoke means it is burning oil. Functioning hydraulics, good tires, just look at overall condition. If it looks like it has been beat up it probably has, but don't be fooled by fresh paint either. New paint does not mean new tractor. Good luck!!!

Walter Dillard I am trying to find the HP of the early 60's Ford 601 Workmaster , and also if it has live pto ? Can any one help ?
DANNY KOVAR i just bought a early 60's ford 601 workmaster and might be interested in selling it for the right price, i live in northwest ohio, email me if your interested!
Mickey Mouse I own a 641 ford workmaster for about 10 years,I use it every year to mow around our place and cultivate the garden this year it does not want to crank so I decided to replace the plugs,wires ,points distributor cap,I have purchased the parts and the distributor cap has the no 1 labeled,My question is the number one cylinder at the front of the tractor or the rear,I have the original manual and it does not have a listing,any help would be appreciated.E mail to above e mail,Thanks Mickey Mouse
don barts : My husband and I know basically very little about farm

Leon DeBusk : My husband and I know basically very little about farm

Have owned a 641 Workmaster for 20 years. Use it for everything;..... except stump pulling. It is NOT a high torque tractor. It is geared rather high. Made for farmers that want to plow FAST. I only use first gear for everything except travel.Do not misunderstand; it will lug down at low RPMs and turn the wheels standing still. Rebuilt engine about 10 years ago. Ford tractor had a super complete engine kit. At that time it was 500 bucks for everything and then some. Yes including replacement sleves. Cylinder head comes in 7:1 and 6:1 compression models. Even cut grass with mowing deck.It IS VERY similar to Golden Jubilee. Worked on a friends' GJ and the only difference I could tell was the fenders. Not much change in 11 years. Gas tank rusted (internal)badly and was a constant pain. Gas tank sealer was worth every penny. Use of fuel stabilizer for storage is recommended. Conversion to 12 volt is relatively easy and also recommended. Starter will accept the 12 volt influx. Alternator from 75 Chevy pickup was my choice. A Street Rod basic wiring book from Peterson will show how to rewire.Same plugs. Same points. Change coil and condenser. Need ballast resistor also.I realize it may not be the exact same tractor but I hope this is usefull.

Bert Croft : My husband and I know basically very little about farm

I own a 601 workmaster and I couldn't be more pleased with the tractor. I plow and plant a one acre garden with it 2 times every year..I think you'll find that it is all the tractor you'll ever need.

David Robertson : My husband and I know basically very little about farm

:my tractor will start and will run as long as you hold the switch in the start position. could it be the switch?
Thanks David

Charles We have an old Ford Workmaster 601 tractor in our barn. It looks like it could use a paint job - and I don't know if it runs, but I'm curious to know what they are worth.
Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Charles
MarshallFarm@live.com

: My husband and I know basically very little about farm

Charles irwin : My husband and I know basically very little about farm

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: