SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1715 new holland how to prime hydraulics?

Justin Have a '93 ford new holland 1715. all of a sudden the 3-point hitch quit working. We changed the hydraulic oil, filter and replaced the pump seals. We are still getting no lift and no hydraulic flow. Does anyone know how to prime this pump? Or if there is a clearance for the cogs in the hydraulic pump and the casing? and if so what are they? Thanks this has been quite frustrating, any comments will be greatly appreciated!
Big_T Is your hydraulic reservoir low on fluid?? On my tractor, the rear differential reservoir is also the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Your's may be a quite different setup. Do you know where your hydraulic reservoir is?? If not, trace the hydraulic suction line (the larger pipe is the suction line) from the pump back to the source of hydraulic fluid.

I don't know if any of this applies to your tractor, but on older Fords, there is a fluid level check port (small square-headed pipe plug) behind your right heel as you are sitting on the tractor. Not to be confused with the transmission fluid level check plug by your right toe as you are sitting on the tractor. You may have to hunker down to see the rear end check plug. The fill cap is usually located behind the seat on top of the rear differential. The drain plug is under the rear differential. On my 3600, the drain plug is under the drawbar. I have to disconnect the drawbar and slide it back to access the drain plug.

Use Ford 134D or equivalent Universal Tractor Fluid (UTF). You can get the equivalent UTF at Tractor Supply, Wal-Mart, or at an auto parts store in 5 gallon buckets. Your hydraulic section holds 6.1 gallons, so you will need two buckets to refill if you choose to change fluid.

Your pump suction may be leaking/sucking air causing the pump to lose prime. To check for this, put some silicone sealer around the suction line connections at the pump and the reservoir. Also look for leaks along the suction line - may have a very fine crack. Suction connections normally have o-ring seals. (The suction is the larger pipe to the pump).

If you have a rubber hose in your suction line, this can be a likely source of an air leak.

Justin Thanks for the detailed reply. Checked the pump and know it's good, so now i know its definitely pulling air. going to get some o-rings and sealant and clean it up. Thanks again

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: