SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

68 ford 4000 diesel selecto speed advise ?

rick hi, i just bought a 68 4000 w/select-o-speed. the original owner says it still works good but "whines" at higher rpms.i have heard you can swap this trans to a manual and have found a deal on the whole set up,but now someone told me you'd have to change the rear end too. is that true? if so,why? how good/bad is the select speed trans?is it repairable by average mechanics with the correct tools/books?i'm an ase certified master auto tech so i'm guessing i could do it? am i over reacting ? are they worth fixing ?or replacing ?.......Thanks !!!
grf va SOS trans are way too expensive to fix if/when they go down. if you have the opportunity to change to manual, do it. you don't have to chage the rear but you do have to change the coupling too the rear. make sure it comes with the manual trans.
Shaun Wallace the ratio is different and length of pinion is different too.
rick if i use the coupling from the manual trans will i be able to use the pinion from the select o speed rear end? is that what compensates for the difference or do you have to change the rear end too? some say yes,some say no. how much difference would the ratio make ? i'm going to use it for brush hog and front loader work.does anyone know what goes wrong with the select-o-speed and are parts still available?i really want to convert it to manual but am afraid of getting it apart and realizing that i have to buy a rear end too. that would suck !please feel free to go in to great detail( i love to learn!).thank you to everyone for your help ! there's no substitute for experience....Rick

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: