1720 fuel filter

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1720 fuel filter

Les Gar How do I change the fuel filter? Does the plastic cup just spin off? Are any special tools needed? Do I have to bleed the system after changing the filter? My manual doesn't say exactly how to make this change. thanks.
Buddy Steiner This is the way I do It:
Just changed mine today.(On this site looking for a Backhoe and front end loader for my 1720.) Filter is available at NAPA. Just tell them it is for a Ford 1720 tractor or take your old one with you.
The plastic bowl is retained by the ridged aluminum ring right above the plastic bowl. I usually have to remove mine (Ring) with channel locks but only hand/finger tighten with the new filter. There is a O-ring on the plastic bowl so be carefuf and don't lose it.Sometimes it stays inside the Aluminum housing. I have replaced my filter every year for the past 20 years and still am using the same O-ring. Clean your plastic bowl, insert new filter (round hole in filter goes up), and hand tightened the alum bowl retainer. Turn your fuel valve on and loosen the retainer until the fuel bowl fills up and fuel runs out the top edge.(This will remove most of the air. Immediately hand/finger tighten the retainer and the fuel should stop leaking. If still dripping slightly tighten with your channel lock pliers. There is a bolt all by itself (I think it is 13 or 14MM) located on top of the injecter pump where the fuel line from the filter goes in. This is the Bleeder Bolt. Loosen that bolt until fuel comes out. Tighten Bolt and start engine. I usually loosen the bleeder bolt with engine running to ensure all air is out. All should be OK. Hope this helps...Buddy. Note: Retainer Ring and Bleeder bolt loosen CCW and tighten CW.

tony tara i have changed filter and done bleeder process now the motor starts and runs. the problem is it will not accselerate at all it will only idel.
it is a 1999 ford 1720 with only 485 hours.
anyone had a similar problem if so has it been fixed and what was the problem?

D.Wolfe you have two places to bleed off. the first one is going into the injectors. the other one in the bleeder valve down by the chassis. I had the same problem wit it just ideling untill I bleed the other one. follow you hose lines you'll find them.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: