6610 Diesel Engine Noise / Loss of Power

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

6610 Diesel Engine Noise / Loss of Power

David L. Laigle I have a late 80's Ford farm tractor, a 6610 series 2, 4 cylinder, about 70 horsepower. Bought about 10 years ago from mowing contractor going out of business. Hours unknown, but probably less than 5000, Has been good tractor, used only a few hours every other weekend. Have done the oil changes, and fuel filter changes, but not much else. Worrisome symptoms now: Starts easily when cold, but now seems harder for starter to crank when hot. When mowing, with 6 ft. rotary cutter, after about 20 minutes of hard mowing, when engine reaches max operating temp. the engine suddenly loses a few rpm, and power, and engine noise jumps higher, with loud clatter/knocking- it sounds as if engine wants to come apart. I am guessing that one cylinder has begun misfire-ing,and 3 others are picking up the load, but that is just my first guess. It does keep on running, and does not overheat, but sounds are disturbing and must be serious. I have never serviced the injectors, and never have checked valve lash, but engine idles smoothly, hot or cold. I will start with the valves, and set tappet clearances, then service injectors and test compression pressures, but it would seem that engine would not idle so perfect if any of those 3 things needed attention. Any suggestions as to what else it might be, and how to perform any other tests? Thanks in advance for any help.

Craig Fuller I have exactly the same problem, did you figure out what was wrong? Noise is a real worry thought the old girl was going to blow up.
michael higgins hi there I have got a similar problem with a 1983 ford 6610 when mowing with a 5ft 6in mower the power just dies away to nothing have changed filters and flushed both bottom and top tanks. think I can hear a noise top end (or is it my imagination) and am thinking valve or diesel knock my problem want to do the tappets first before I pull the injectors only I dont know the tappet clearances for the inlet and exhaust can you help

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Ford Tractors & New Holland Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: