International B414

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

International B414

carl diedrich I have a 1963 gasoline powered B414 tractor that is in excellent running and physical condition, however, the tractor is incredibley hard to steer and takes a lot of stength to turn the steering wheel. I have found that the more weight I put on the rear of the tractor the easier it is to turn the wheel. What could be the cause of this problem,I recently had the tractor at my locat IH dealership who identified the problem being with what they called flat bearings which are located in the sleeve assembly that supports the wheel axle and tire. This has not fixed the problem, is there a better way to loosen or make the steering easier?
Hugh MacKay Carl: You have me curious, basically the dealer told you the flat bearing between spindle and front axle housing was the problem. You add weight to back of tractor and this helps. What happens if you jack both front wheels clear of ground? It might be a good idea to jack each side individually, see if you can tell if one side is worse than the other. If this cures it I'd suggest to the dealer, he must have installed the wrong flat bearing. If that helps, I'd be curious the hear the dealers explaination.

I'm not familiar with that flat bearing, however these tractors usually steer rather easy unless you have a loader, and even then they are not excessively hard to steer.

carl diedrich Thanks for the quick response,when i jack the front end off the ground the steering flows very nice, it seems that when I lower the weight back onto the front end the steering becomes very stiff, i will try your suggestion of one side at a time.If there is no difference, any suggestions as to what i might do? Dealership responded that B414's were hard to steer tractors anyway, this sounds alittle tainted,I cannot believe IH would build a tractor that it took both hands to turn the wheel.

Hugh MacKay Carl: Tainted is right, I've driven a few of these tractors, and found them very much like a Super A to steer. I've loaded manure with one and it wasn't as hard to steer as my dad's 300 with loader.

I must admit I've never had one apart, but I expect there must be some type of thrust bearing between spindle and spindle housing. Have you seen this apart? I'm just wondering if for some reason the two weight bearing surfaces have become rough, rusted or pited, and this may be creating your problem.

Having said that, I wondering if you couldn't dismantle this and have a machine shop plane the weigh bearing surfaces, then install a top grade thrust bearing the machinest could or would recomend. It's got to be that, you've jacked the front end, you know it's not in the steering box.

Where are you located? Do you know a machinest. Do a bit of checking. A lot of areas have retired machinests with some equipment in the back yard, that like the chalange of something like this. We have one here, and he's fixed a lot of "thought to be impossible fixes" for folks and they work well.

carl diedrich Thanks again for good advice, i will pursue your ideas and wil let you know how this turns out, i,m located in sounthern maryland in the county of Charles about 20 miles south of washington DC.I will also look for a schematic showing the frontend to see if it lays out the parts you describe.

Jerry Horner Carl, I have a B414 that I had that trouble with and it took me awhile to figure out. In the steering sector gearbox it was dry and gummed up. After I took this apart, cleaned it up and put 80 weight oil in it, it steered like a new car. The plug to check this gear box is hid underneath the fuel tank. After I took the fuel tank and dash off I could see what I never was able to see before.
MIKE BURGOYNE HEY GUYS, JUST WANTED TO DROP YOU A LINE, TO LET YOU KNOW I'M HAVING THE SAME SYMTOMS, WITH MY B414 DIESL, I'LL TRY WHAT YOU'VE SUGGETED, PLEASE SEND ME AN E-MAIL IF YOU DISCOVER ANTTHING ELSE!! I'LL TAKE THE ADVISE, AND TRY TO REPAIR MINE!! THANKS AGAIN MIKE B. (IDAHO)
Morrell Sipe I also have a B414. Not sure of the year. I am in the process of rebuilding it. It did run good and steered very easy with a loader on it. Looking for a new/used grill anybody have a source.
Yves Trabac Hello all, I own a B414 in North East of France and use it for hydraulic machine to split fire wood and sawing as well, very good machine in deed. Thx to Jerry for the idea of filling with oil the steering box as I have the same prob of very hard steering...
But I have another question : My front wheels are terribly wobbly, any idea about origine of the problem ?
Thank you
Yves

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: