plow problem farmall c

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

plow problem farmall c

donaldg I just bought a farmall c with the double plows mounted on the tractor. I cannot get the left plow to dig in the ground. The guy I bought the c from said he had plowed with it last year and he doesn't know what is wrong. I've tried all the adjustments I can think of. The right plow has a broken mouldboard. Can anyone help with the plow issue and can anyone tell me where I can get replacement plow parts?
Hugh MacKay Donald: The broken moldboard will be causing you some grief, but I suggest the plow points may be them bigger problem from your description.

With your plow setting on a flat floor, do the tips of the points look like sled runners? If they look like sled runners, they will most certainly act like it, and will ride the plow right out of the ground.

I may be able to advise tou where to get parts. Send an e mail letting me know where you live.

Hugh MacKay Donald: The broken moldboard will be causing you some grief, but I suggest the plow points may be them bigger problem from your description.

With your plow setting on a flat floor, do the tips of the points look like sled runners? If they look like sled runners, they will most certainly act like it, and will ride the plow right out of the ground.

I may be able to advise tou where to get parts. Send an e mail letting me know where you live.

donaldg Thanks for the reply. I am fairly new to this so the plow issue has me puzzled.

I live in northern New Mexico so I hope you can direct me to where I can get replacement plow parts. I would like to completely refurbish the plows and find a moldboard for the right plow.

Will new plow tips solve my problem? The plow right now just slides along the ground. Just out of curiosity I moved the position of the plow up to the next set of bolt holes and it dug in but I'm not sure if that's the correct method or not.

STU KINNE I have plowed many acres w/ a Farmall C w/ single bottom 2 way plows on our old hill farm in VT. We used to bend the arms that go from the rockshaft down to the front of the plows that set the pitch of the bottoms. When they were bent the plows would not go in the ground. We were always straightening them, cause we hit a lot of solid rocks. Finally started carrying dynamite in the tool box to blow out the big ones
RWWebb I'm haveing ahard time finding a moldboard 4this plow , the # on the moldboard is cpa 6009 , and a tag with BAG -14,, I'd like to find where to buy one, Ty rww
MRusan Look at the blue rockshaft arms at the front of the plow for the connecting rods from the hydraulics to the plows. (The rockshaft arms are the ones that stay with the tractor if you take the plows off.) These connecting rods need to be fairly straight. Only a slight curve at the top of these rods (near the rockshaft ends). Just use a good crowbar while the sulky plows are installed to carefully bend them straight using the tractor as a fulcrum. (A good heavy 6' crowbar will do nicely.) Make sure the heavy steel frame holding the plows at the back is also straight and untwisted. (It's also originally blue paint and carries the plows behind the operator.)
Also, might need new plow points if this doesn't square you up.

Good place to look for goodies is EBay or sniff around on Google. A lot of older tractor guys are selling their stuff as they retire.
Dad and I are looking for new solid points (New England potatoes (rocks) need solid points)for 16" bottoms for our sulky (2-way) plow on our C (original owner since '50), so let us know if you find a good source. The IH casting# is on the back side of the point.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: