Super MD and other diesels question...

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Super MD and other diesels question...

Ernest DeWitt I was wondering if anyone knew where to find a list of all the Farmall Diesel Powered farm tractors such as the Super MD, MD, etc?
Which is the best of the diesels?
Which is the best of all the Farmall Farm Tractors?
Where can I find the HP/torque specs etc?
Also, what kind of implements can be used with each of these tractors?
I am new to old tractors but very interested.
Thanks for your help.
Ernest De Witt

Hugh MacKay Ernest: I've looked at your question several times, had hoped someone else would tackle it. You see, answering your questions and covering the subject well would involve writing a book.

There have been hundreds of Farmall model tractors with various options, some geared to specific work, some not. Each series contained about 10 basic models, each designed to do specific work and do it well.

The very first diesel in an IH tractor was the WD40 back in the mid 1930s and up until 1958 all IH diesels were gas start. Other companies at that time were using pup engines to start diesels. Then in the 60s came glow plugs and other heating devices. They were followed by direct start, direct injection diesels. I never had any experience with gas start or pup start diesels. All this changed over the years as folks wanted a diesel they could be heading to the field with 25 seconds after getting on tractor. I've had most of the later diesels, they all had their good points and bad points.

To sum this all up the best advice I could give is you come back, tell us precisely what you wish to do with a tractor, then we will advise from there. I've owned 16 Farmalls, 2 Case, 1 Cockshutt and one Deere in my lifetime, had as many as 9 of them at one time on the farm, the smallest being a Super A and the largest being a 1066. They were all bought new or close to new and sized to specfic work. We didn't pull a 20' disk or cultivator with the Super A and we didn't bale hay or cultivate the garden with the 1066.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: