International 240 Utility

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

International 240 Utility

Everett Rothfuss Can someone tell me how to get the Release Sleeve Guide, Part # 43-546-D) out of the clutch housing.
Also, I'm looking for a (Exaust pipe adaptor Part# 372-403-R1 ).

Everett Rothfuss : Can someone tell me how to get the Release Sleeve Guide, Part # 43-546-D) out of the clutch housing.
**Never mind, piece of Pie / cake whatever..
** However I am still looking for a (Exhaust pipe adaptor Part # 372-403-R1 ). For an International 240.

Everett Rothfuss Well my International 240 Utility is back together. Everything went quite well. The new clutch is in, along with a new ring gear. I have some good tips for replacing the ring gear if anyone is interested. Getting the two half’s of the tractor back together was a little fun for one person, but I did it.
One of the things that I have spent some of my time on was, I replaced the generator 6V a few months past. Well when you have everything apart you can see things better. Well the generator pulley was out of line with the fan pulley. That could have started my water pump problems.
The other thing. Just a word of caution. Some radiator repair shops suck. I spent $81.94 getting the radiator worked on by (Hitek Automotive Longmont) (Don't ever go there). When I went to put the Radiator in, I looked in the bottom radiator hose hole and some of the cores were still plugged. I took the radiator to a different shop and had it boiled out again, well $300 later I now have a new core. It appears; when the radiator was cleaned properly it had bigger problems. I would rather pay the price and have it done correctly the first time. Getting the radiator out of a 240 Utility with a front-end loader on it is a Major Pain. I also cleaned out the gas tank; it had a major amount of crud in it, including a piece of cardboard so large I had to fold in half to get it out of the tank.
Well every thing is connected, loader pump, radiator, new water pump, hoses and wires, new temp gage, new oil pressure gage and a new 6V coil that I had to make a bracket to mount, and a tune up. Tomorrow I get to see if it will run, God I hope it runs, with no hydraulic or antifreeze leaks.

Everett Rothfuss Well, everything went great. I put in 5 gallons of gas, and 3 gallons of antifreeze. Pulled the choke and hit the starter. WOW what a sweet sound. She fired right off and sounded great, a little louder, because this little 240 now has a straight pipe for an exhaust that goes straight up. International 240 Utility tractors have an exhaust that makes a curve just out of the exhaust manifold and goes straight down past the back of the generator and over the front of the carburetor. Not only does the location of the original exhaust make working on the generator of carburetor a pain, every time you are connecting something to the 3 point you are breathing exhaust. Well enough of that. While I still had the engine cover, hood and grill off I checked the timing, it was just 3 marks short of being on the "A" and it is supposed to be DTC. Sure made it run different when the timing is set properly. The new radiator, thermostat and heat gage work great too. It warmed up to 180 degrees, the thermostat opened up and she cooled off to 170. I did notice the oil pressure drop off when the temperature gets up to 170/180-degree range. Also, before I worked on everything, at an idle I had a low RPM miss, now that miss is gone. Anyway I had a great Sunday. No oil leaks Hydraulic or engine, and no antifreeze leaks. Now I need a hood off of a 240 International or cut a hole in the one I have to get the exhaust up through. Next is a little steering work and new brakes.
Everett Rothfuss Ok, I ordered a new oil pump. I am going to work on the front end any way, so taking the pan off will be 30 minutes.
Some Idiot welded the battery carrier onto the loader mount right by the right break. I'm going to cut that dam battery carrier off and move the sucker. That will be easier than taking the loader off to put the new brakes on. I put two braces on the exhaust pipe so it won't break the bolt tabs off of the manifold.

Everett Well putting new brakes on my little 240 was a piece of Pie too. It didn't need brakes at all but they sure needed cleaned out. So I put new brakes on while I was in there. Boy does the adjustment method suck.
Everett Ok, I'm posting all of these messages and no comments! Someone chine in and tell me what to do. I have a Zenith carburetor on my little 240 Utility and it runs to rich. I've got the float adjusted as low as possible. Now I am going to see what jets it has in it. Does anyone know what size of jets it is supposed to have? I have considered using a BFH on it and getting another one from a junkyard. Just for the record I got all of the other stuff done and overall it runs fantastic. But the black smoke drives me nuts fowls the plugs to quick and turns the oil black as coal.
Marty : Ok, I'm posting all of these messages and no comments! Someone chine in and tell me what to do. I have a Zenith carburetor on my little 240 Utility and it runs to rich. I've got the float adjusted as low as possible. Now I am going to see what jets it has in it. Does anyone know what size of jets it is supposed to have? I have considered using a BFH on it and getting another one from a junkyard. Just for the record I got all of the other stuff done and overall it runs fantastic. But the black smoke drives me nuts fowls the plugs to quick and turns the oil black as coal.

Hi just looking around for info on 240 international. Ive located one and it seems to be in good shape and I was wonndering if anyone new what one was worth.

Marty : Ok, I'm posting all of these messages and no comments! Someone chine in and tell me what to do. I have a Zenith carburetor on my little 240 Utility and it runs to rich. I've got the float adjusted as low as possible. Now I am going to see what jets it has in it. Does anyone know what size of jets it is supposed to have? I have considered using a BFH on it and getting another one from a junkyard. Just for the record I got all of the other stuff done and overall it runs fantastic. But the black smoke drives me nuts fowls the plugs to quick and turns the oil black as coal.

Hi just looking around for info on 240 international. Ive located one and it seems to be in good shape and I was wonndering if anyone new what one was worth. Also on the black smoke Iam not sure if its the same or not but Ive got a 92 gmc pickup that fouled plugs in one or two starts it was my fault i used ngk plugs that cost $1.60 instead of the $4.60 plugs both were supose to be the same but aparently not. thanks and good luck.

Billy McCarver I have a Zenith carburetor on my little 240 Utility and it runs to rich. I've got the float adjusted as low as possible. Now I am going to see what jets it has in it. Does anyone know what size of jets it is supposed to have? The black smoke drives me nuts fowls the plugs to quick and turns the oil black as coal.

Hi. Most tractor carbs have an idle mix needle valve somewhere around the throttle butterfly and a much larger one that is usually called Load Mix that is on the float bowl casting and reaches to the bottom of the carb. This one sets the fuel-air mix when the engine is at run speed (above idle). I can't tell you for sure as I'm not home to look at mine but I do remember it being similar to the marvel-Schleber carbs used on fords, fergusons and others. Adjustment is similar to the idle mix but at speed. I don't know what the minimum open turns is but on the marvel mystery carbs, it was 1 1/2 turns for lean and about 4 turns for rich (to-30 tractor). I'll check the forum again this weekend when I get home and will be able to get the scoop from my manuals on my 240. Hope this helps. Billy

George L Caballero I would like to join this group how do I go about it. I just bought a 240U. where is the serial number and how do I find out what year it was made. also having problems with the governor.: Can someone tell me how to get the Release Sleeve Guide, Part # 43-546-D) out of the clutch housing.
: Also, I'm looking for a (Exaust pipe adaptor Part# 372-403-R1 ).

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: