SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

IH 404 coolant leak

maze02
IH 404 coolant leak

Hi There,

I'm helping some friends repair a leak and would appreciate any input on this. Coolant is leaking from two places on the engine engine/transmission body as shown on the photo. I can try to seal both leaks with silicone but I'll like to know for sure if coolant is not going to the wrong place. Can someone please advise if where the coolant is leaking from is not a place for oil. I'm not familiar with this so please excuse my ignorance. Ill really appreciate any response.

Thanks.

maze02
Re: IH 404 coolant leak

Can someone please let me know if coolant should be or not be present in the cavity shown on the photo? I just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong or something that can potentially damage the motor when I seal the leak with a silicone made gasket.

Thanks.

ponymare That appears to be the torque housing, there might be a freeze plug behind the flywheel on the back of the block that's rusted out, or a freeze crack.
jim There IS a core plug in the back of the block, behind flywheel. Have to split tractor to repair. Should not be any coolant in that housing.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: