SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

IH 986 lift problems

brian I just replaced the "o" rings in the torque tube for the 3 point. Fun job btw. When I started the tractor the lift went about half way up and stayed there. If I try to raise it, it will go all the way up but never return to the down position when I move the control lever. What did I do wrong this time?
jim Nothing serious. You may have not got the draft control linkage back together correctly or way out of adjustment now. The spring loaded lever coming from above has to hook over that arm coming from down below off torsion bar tube. Then you need to do some adjustments . You have to adjust the draft sensing arm. You do that through the third arm plate in rear . There is a set screw in that lower link arm on the top end. It takes a allen wrench. You loosen lock nut, screw it in until hitch drops. Run engine, place position control lever in full lower but not past the offset , put draft control lever about two inch's from all the way back. May have to tie it there if it does not want to stay. Then with engine running you turn that set screw out until hitch starts to raise and it will go up as far as draft control will allow. Then you lock her down. Also, that link coming up should be as far to the right as you can get it where it bolts to torsion tube with u-bolt. Far as it will go without the upper part touching the housing.
brian Thanks Jim, that worked!!!
jim You are welcome, don't usually hear back if suggestions worked out or not.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: