SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

amp gauge/charging system

bill baker My amp gauge is broken on my Farmall M. It's converted to 12 volt. It's not charging , and before I take off the alternator ,could it(amp gauge)be the reason ? I'm going to get a new one anyway. Thanx for any help
Cyrush It could be,!

Amp gauges are usually used on generator systems and on alternator systems a battery voltage gauge is preferred!!

Butch If the circuit inside the ammeter fails and is open it would be a reason for not charging.

Butch The ammeter will operate ok with the alternator but I do agree with using a voltmeter.

If the right person reads this post he will put of a fight about that statement I just made.
He has done it before.

Search Ammeter vs. Voltmeter and read the post by Auto-Meter Tech Tips and make up your own mind.

I'm going to stay out of this one now and just read posts. LOL

tomboy Have you actually tested the alternator to see if its working or not? Its easy, start the engine, then at mid throttle place the blade of a screw driver to the round metal plug at the rear of the alt, if you get a good magnetic pull, its working.
gerald white hi. there is a unit for ((clipping on)) to charging circuits and costs 20 no wiring needed, these are 0-30 amp and 0-75 amp. these are very usefull for quick tests and don't need to be polarized and are small enough to put in your pocket. you can get these from sealey tools. gerald

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: