SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1086 transmission problem

Peter Dun HI,
I have a 1980 1086 with about 9,000 hours. Recently it has been "popping" out of 2nd gear in high range and locking up the transmission at the gear shift. I removed the floor panel and seat and looked at the linkage. The linkage is fine. I started to play with the gear shift and noticed that when it is put into reverse, the high/low range shaft moves and places it is low range. As a result, when it is taken out of reverse, the gear shift will not move over into the high/low range selection. I therefore removed the gear shift assembly and linkage. I found that when it is put into reverse, there is not resistance for the high/low range shaft, being that there are 3 shafts inside themselves. Has anyone ran into this problem, and what is the solution? Thanks for reading.

jim Common problem, you have to remove range trans cover. Couple different ways to go about that. One is to pull aux fuel tank and side cover also or else make a special tool to keep reverse shifter shaft in place when you remove cover. I prefer to remove tank as I feel I can do a more complete job. Your detent mechanism under the cover is worn out or broken.
terry glaze
I am in the process of removing range cover and have run into problem.
I can only raise cover about 1 inch and it feels like something is catching, and have a 3/4 tap under parking brake.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: