SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

points/spark

Henry
points/spark

1955 300 series changed to 12 volt years ago
I replaced points and condenser , have voltage into ballast resistor, to the coil, when I check at the connection for points and condenser voltage drops to almost nothing. turning engine over voltage jumps to 12 volts when points are open but there is no spark. Isn't there suppose to be spark when point gap opens? Is this a bad condenser?

scott mcintosh Did you replace the igniton coil.Scott
henry eugene teter no, i'm getting like 4 or 5 volts after resistor going into dist. when it turns over the volts go up and down 12 down to 5 but like i said no spark at points.
henry eugene teter no, i'm getting like 4 or 5 volts after resistor going into dist. when it turns over the volts go up and down 12 down to 5 but like i said no spark at points.
Peter We have the same tractor and solved lots of problems, and made it start instantly, by switching to electronic ignition.
rich4 Try a new 12 volt coil and the right resister first. These tractors started just fine with 6 volts years ago, when converting to 12 volts , maybe not all parts were changed properly.
rich4 Could also be a bad condensor, they are sometimes bad even when new, make sure it is the correct one though.
John M If he uses a 12 volt coil, he wont need the resistor. I have every tractor I won, except for one mag equipped tractor, on 12 volt and dont have a resistor on any of them, and use a regualr 12 volt coil. My oldest conversion has been running on the same points for nearly 12 years now, and the previous set for aboutthe same length of time. Granted these only see about 30 - 40 hours a year.
Ron do you have a mag I had that problem on a mag check the wire from coil to points it has to be in right postion or it will short out

Ron do you have a mag I had that problem on a mag check the wire from coil to points it has to be in right postion or it will short out

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: