SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Intermittent 3-point Failure

Tom I did a search on the board and did not find an answer to this one:
Tractor in question: IH 254
I have been experiencing an intermittent 3-point hitch failure. One day it would work fine, the next it would not. On the days that it worked, it did not have any drift. On the days that it did not work, it would not raise at all.

The transmission fluid was very milky. I drained the fluid, removed the transmission cover installed a replacement boot on the shifter (the original was missing). Replaced the cover and refilled the fluid.

The problem went away for a short time. I was running a brush hog with the hitch up just enough to take the pressure off of the front roller. When I went to lower the hitch the brush hog hit with a thud and then no-go.

Now my questions:
Do I flush the transmission? If yes, what do I flush it with (diesel, hydraulic fluid, other)?
Do I pull the cylinder?
Do I look for another problem?

Your assistance is appreciated.

karl Sounds like you are headed in the right direction. I don't know that I would flush with anything but new clean hydraulic fluid. Some systems are fluid specific and using something other than recommended may ruin the seals.I know my IHs call for a hytran oil that is specific to International. Is there a filter to change? If there was water in the system you may just have a valve sticking that will work itself loose in time. Good luck

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: