SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

H won't start

Ken My 51 H won't start. After setting 4/5 hours it starts for about 4/5 seconds and dies, won't even offer to fire after that. Cranks over good with new batt and cables. Has always started good prior, summer or winter, it is now 25/30 degrees and damp, 85% humidity. It is always parked inside. Doesn't seem to matter if I choke it or not, throttle closed or open, same result. Has new points, condensor, dist cap, wires, and plugs last summer, but i don't use this tractor for anything other than show's and etc. it does get a lot of starts and stops with no real work hours.
Any help appreciated
Ken
ke01020@iowatelecom.net

John M Bad coil or condensor....
Ken Thanks John, I will start with a new coil, it has not been replaced, is very old. Probably original, I've had this H since 1960.

Ken

texczech
check the spark output of the coil, to see if it is indeed a spark problem.

pete if it has a ballast resister,you might ck that,also ck to see if the dist is turning. you can do that easy.pop the cap off,put it in gear,rock the tractor back and fourth.dont loose dist setting this way.
Ken Thanks to John and all others who helped with this tractor. I put on a new coil, it started right up.

Ken

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: