SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

B414 Engine question BC144?

John Grenzenbach I have owned my B414 gas tractor for about ten years. Earlier this year a sleeve o-ring let loose and wiped out a piston. Looking for reasonable BC144 parts was along process. I finally found a used piston. When I went to match it up, it was smaller and had 4 rings. I cleaned off the top my my old piston, 5 rings, the part # 3044486-R3, came back for a BD154 engine. My sleeves and pistons are for a diesel, but my engine is gas. Was this a swap done for more power? I thought that the compression for a diesel piston would have been too high. Up until the sleeve let loose the tractor ran well with plenty of power. Any thoughts? Now I need to send back my new parts for the diesel sleeves and rings. John
John Grenzenbach found block casting number BC144 6945, head #3043606-R2 V11
Hugh MacKay John: I don't know much technical about those British tractors, as to number of rings etc.

What I do know is very few were ever produced as gas engine tractors, world wide. Across Europe, Africa and Australia 99% were diesel. IH only produced the gas engine to satisfy North American customers. Probably less than 1% were ever gassers and now, no one wants to supply parts for the gasser. There are supplies but, becoming short.

rich4 It does seem odd but is possible you have a diesel block/piston engine and a low compression gas head on your gas model to drop the compression ratio to the correct levels. It would have good power. And you may have a good stout engine, but with the oring out you would question that. Good luck.
john grenznbach I checked the case/ih parts book they both use the same o-ring.The block is stamped BC144. I think that the sleeve wall must be thicker on the 144.
Hugh MacKay John: you are probably correct in assuming all those British blocks were same bore and use thicker sleeves in the lower cubic inch early engines. IH did a lot of this going all the way back to 1939. The Farmall A was bored large enough in 1939 for 3-1/8" sleeves, however that sleeve was never used in that series of engine until 1951 in the Super C. Up until that time it had always been 3" bore and 113 cubic inches. 3-1/8" increased it to 123 cubic inches. The same was done with H, SH, 300, etc. and M, SM, 400, etc.

If you think about engineering evolution, probably they felt the thiner sleeve needed more testing before putting it on the market. Those old boys didn't enjoy some of the technology we have today.

Dan I am rebuilding a carb. on a BC144 engine, carb. in a British Zenith VN, I need the proceedure for the float setting.

Thanks Dan

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: