SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

706 PTO looses power

Don My Farmall 706 PTO work until I put a load on it. The manual sais I can increase the pressure by adding shims on the control valve stem. I am unable to extract the stem from the top to put the shims in. Do I need to remove the rear houseing to gain access?
MGS There is a connection block at the top of the spool. The pressure is adjusted by threading the block up or down. I don't remember any shims...

The chances are, if it has just started slipping, that the clutch pack is worn out.

jim The shims mentioned in service manual are used to adjust the partial engagement stage, don't worry about them, like MGS said, operating pressure is adjusted by turning threaded spool stem and if it is slipping it probably worn out clutch pack.
Don Thanks! I am confident I can pull the PTO unit. How difficult is it to R&R the clutch pack? Am I wrong to assume I can leave the hydraulics alone if I am getting pressure?
MGS Don,
You need a few special tools to pull the pack apart and a pressure gauge to set the pressure properly.

There is a REALLY big spring in there so the proper tools and dis-assembly procedure are important. You should probably get a manual for this.

The pump is probably ok; you could check the pressure before you pull the unit.

Shar Patnoe Have a 300 or 350 utility- is static timing good enough or do you have to use a light too?
andy What kind of fluids do yoou use in rear end gear boxes

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: