SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

340 utility won't move

Herb The tractor acts like the clutch is slipping, but it's not. The tractor was running fine one day, the next day I thought the clutch had went out. It appears that the clutch is working fine. The tractor will barely move in 1st & 2nd gear, if you rev up the engine and wait eventually it will start to move. There is never a smell like a clutch slipping or anything else. Any Ideas? The tractor is a late 50's International 340 Ulility with heavy duty front endloader, gas engine with 5 speed transmission.
Hugh MacKay Herb: You left out one item, does it have TA?
Herb What is TA?
Hugh MacKay Herb: TA is a 2 speed power shift, gives you 2 speeds in each of the 5 standard shifts and reverse. On a 340 the lever to activate TA, if so equipped, will come up from chassis just left of dash. Being power shift you don't use clutch when shifting TA.

When TA fails, usually it will start slipping in the low range. Quite often they will work many years in high range.

If your 340 has that option, come back and let us know. It makes a difference in possible advice given.

Herb No my 340 does not have the TA. There is no lever to the left of the dash.
Hugh MacKay Herb: If the tractor doesn't have TA, then the only part in the drive line that can act as you describe is the clutch.

Could you describe the linkage between clutch pedal and tractor housing? Just had another thought. Does the clutch pedal linkage operate one or two shafts that go through chassis?

Maurice Henning my 340 leaks fluid around clutch pedal how do i fix this

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: