SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Farmall c foaming hydraulic oil

Bert Torstenson The hydraulic oil in my Farmall C is foaming, the color of the oil is tan. What would cause the oil to foam, I am sure it loses power with air in the oil. Any suggestions, could the pump be doing this?
John M Drain it and run 30wt Non detergent oil in it. Wasnt made for hydraulic oil or Hytran, just run straight 30wt ND in it. The tan is from the air bubbles.
Hugh MacKay Bert: Your hydraulic oil is probably contaminated with water. Screen probably needs serviceing. Read what I told Rob with SA above.

Contrary to what John is telling you, the recomendation since 1957 for touch control hydraulic systems, is CaseIH Hytran. Two of my tractors with touch control systems have been using Hytran only since 1957. Both have their original pumps and touch control kits. The reason for Hytran, it keeps any water in the oil in suspencion. Hadn't been developed when your tractor was built, but it is better hydraulic oil.

John M Dont recall there being a Farmall C made in 1957 Hugh. His tractor was made to run straight 30wt ND oil in it, not Hytran. I know about the update notice, and all.
Hugh MacKay John: I never suggested a Farmall C was ever manufactured in 1957. About 1957 Hytran came on the market and IH recomended it to replace hydraulic oils in all touch control systems as well as larger tractors with live pumps. This has nothing to do with design of the Farmall C, but rather development of a new and better hydraulic oil.

I'll go one step further, regular motor oil in his touch control system may be the foaming problem. I was on the farm with my dad through the 1950s. We had to switch the H belly pump with 31 loader to mineral oil to stop the foaming problem. Even before the days of Hytran, here in Canada we were using an IH product called touch control hydraulic oil, in those touch control systems. Our experience, motor oils always foamed in hydraulic systems.

John M Then you werent using ND oil. I agree with you Hytrn is better for his system. BUT....Lets assume he does have some water in there, and the color is not a lot of air bubbles,Why spend the money for Hytran, or its equivilant, to basially flush the system, which again, if its water in there and no air, would simply contaminate the HYtran? Me personally, I dont see what was wrong with ND oil. I saw a copy of the "service bulletin" that advised IH service personael to change to either the touch control fluid, or the Hytran, cant rcall exactly what it said, but the spec for his C is still 30wt ND oil, and in cooler climates 10wt ND. This is for the hydraulics, not the engine, which is pretty much the same specs.
rich4 John M, Why are you insistent in recommending an outdated oil. The Hytrans oils are about equivalent to an SAE 20-30 SAE oil in viscosity and have much better longevity properties in the hydraulic system.
rich4 John M, Why are you insistent in recommending an outdated oil. The Hytrans oils are about equivalent to an SAE 20-30 SAE oil in viscosity and have much better longevity properties in the hydraulic system.
John M FINE! Use Hytran in your system Bert. Happy now guys! Geezz!
MARK JUST FOOD FOR THOUGHT THE 30 WEIGHT OIL WOULD BE BETTER. FARMALL NEVER DID MASTER THE HYDRO PUMPS UNTIL LATER. THIN HYDRAULIC OIL WILL WIND UP SOMEWHERE ELSE LIKE THE CRANK CASE. IF THIS HAPPENED RATHRE MIS HAP WITH OIL NOT HYDRAULIC, ALSO SEALS WERNT THE BEST.
Elmer Dear John: Thank you!

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: