SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

IH 656 D-282 starting fluid damage?

Steve Minor Will a squirt of starting fluid damage my IH 656, D-282 diesel? Sometimes that's the only way to get the old girl started.

Steve

Hugh MacKay Steve: NEVER use starting fluid on a glow plug tractor if your using the glow plugs. You can get explosions severe enough to bend rods. If the glow plugs don't start it, add a circulating block heater.

It could also be the injection system needs some rebuilding.

Steve Minor Thanks Hugh....that's just the advice I was looking for.
jim Just have to add a little to what Hugh said. At least one intake valve is open part way at all times on a multiple cyl engine, there fore , if you spray starting fluid in when glow plug is on, you are exposing that red hot glow plug to this fluid, the entire intake manifold and air cleaner can explode on you. Extremely dangerous.
Steve Minor Thanks to all replies....I'll admit I've done it a time or two in frustration but I'll make sure not to do it again. It really sounds dangerous.

Steve

Hugh MacKay Jim: You post reminded me of something I had happen with a Detroit diesel in a Timberjack forestry skidder. I was quite used to 4 cycle diesels. I hired a guy to skid some big trees for me. He suggested I make a run while he ate his lunch. Trying to go gentle at half throttle I stalled it, kicked over and fired up backwards, I hit the foot throttle hard. Well, well, well that old Detroit blew that oil bath breather to bits, sprayed oil all over me and the operators platform. He sitting back eating his lunch and laughing his gut out at me. He said, "there is only one way to go slow with a Detroit, low gear and full throttle." He had the parts in his pickup to put the breather back together, guess I wasn't the first guy.
goodric1 I have owned a IH 150 crawler loader with a 282 diesel for 10 years now and have always used starting fluid to get it going. because that what the dealer that sold it to me told me to do. I only spray when the starter is engaged and she always starts right up. I have had no trouble. I dont use or glow the glow plugs because starting fluid works better.

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: