SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

IH 300 utility tractor steering difficulty

O.C. mangold I have an IH 300 utility tractor with diffulity in steering. All joints have been greased. There is a loader with a dirt bucket but that should not make it so difficult to steer.
jim First off, they are not a easy steering tractor ever. That being said, the spindles have a ball type thrust bearing on lower end that will fail, spindles themselves get all rusted into knee,and the gear box itself many be worn, check for good lube in box.
rich4 Do you have a counter weight on the rear, that would help steering a lot. (maybe 600-800 lbs) Also with weight on loader bucket just steer slowly to where you are want to go, in other words, don't force turning with a heavy load on the front. And as said before, they wear out easily and very few replacement parts.
John A Been down your road. Mine had a loader on it that I sold off. I fought the steering problem, and it was better with a plow raised so the front tires hardly touched the ground. Sold the tractor, the new owner was more particular, he had the entire steering box rebuilt or replaced and that fixed the problem. He said it cost him to rebuild the box. You should be able to find someone to rebuild the steering box for you. I always liked the tractor, but it had a weak TA and I needed a lighter tractor, so selling it worked for me.
GARRY I HAVE A INTERNATIONAL 300 UTILITY WITH POWER STEERING, I NEED TO REBUILD THE STEERING BOX. WHERE CAN I GET ALL THE PARTS AND HOW MUCH WOULD IT COST ME FOR THE PARTS. THANKS

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: