Farmall Cub Radiator Overflow Tub

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Farmall Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Farmall Cub Radiator Overflow Tub

Gary I have a 1949 Farmall Cub that continually leaks radiator coolant out the overflow tube when running. The more coolant you ad the more it leaks. If running for about 1 hour it will leak about 1/2 radiator. I have replaced the radiator cap with a new #7 cap. Someone told me it could the the head gasket causing the motor to push the coolant up and out the overflow. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Ed S : I have a 1949 Farmall Cub that continually leaks radiator coolant out the overflow tube when running. The more coolant you ad the more it leaks. If running for about 1 hour it will leak about 1/2 radiator. I have replaced the radiator cap with a new #7 cap. Someone told me it could the the head gasket causing the motor to push the coolant up and out the overflow. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Gary sounds like you have a blown head gasket ,or a crack in the head it self .When the engine warms-up the crack or the gasket expands causing the compression to force the antifreeze out of the overflow tube.

:

Billy J. : : I have a 1949 Farmall Cub that continually leaks radiator coolant out the overflow tube when running. The more coolant you ad the more it leaks. If running for about 1 hour it will leak about 1/2 radiator. I have replaced the radiator cap with a new #7 cap. Someone told me it could the the head gasket causing the motor to push the coolant up and out the overflow. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

:
: Gary sounds like you have a blown head gasket ,or a crack in the head it self .When the engine warms-up the crack or the gasket expands causing the compression to force the antifreeze out of the overflow tube.

: : Gary, Your head gasket and head is probably all ok. The cub has a convection cooling system that seeks its own level (the upper hose). This system is based on the principle that heat rises and cool falls. Try letting it go until it stops running out the tube and see that it will find it's level and stay there. I believe that you will find that it will cover the core tubes and will not drop any further. This is what I discovered after fretting over the same issue.

Ryan Nurrenbern : I have a 1949 Farmall Cub that continually leaks radiator coolant out the overflow tube when running. The more coolant you ad the more it leaks. If running for about 1 hour it will leak about 1/2 radiator. I have replaced the radiator cap with a new #7 cap. Someone told me it could the the head gasket causing the motor to push the coolant up and out the overflow. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

: Try setting your timeing on the distributor sounds as if you are overheating and the coolant is boiling out the top.

Matt : I have a 1949 Farmall Cub that continually leaks radiator coolant out the overflow tube when running. The more coolant you ad the more it leaks. If running for about 1 hour it will leak about 1/2 radiator. I have replaced the radiator cap with a new #7 cap. Someone told me it could the the head gasket causing the motor to push the coolant up and out the overflow. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

:

I had a similiar problem a few years back. Turned out I had the wrong cap. A dealer had sold me a cap with a shorter stem. The rubber seal & spring portion was not long enough to seat properly in the radiator. Measure the depth of the radiator neck and make sure you cap is long enough to seat properly.

mike : I have a 1949 Farmall Cub that continually leaks radiator coolant out the overflow tube when running. The more coolant you ad the more it leaks. If running for about 1 hour it will leak about 1/2 radiator. I have replaced the radiator cap with a new #7 cap. Someone told me it could the the head gasket causing the motor to push the coolant up and out the overflow. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

:Your cub is fine. I went through the same thing with my first cub. My neighbor, a long time farmall collector, told me the coolant level should be below the siphon tube or it will spit out the overflow tube. He was right.My coolant level now runs at the bottom of the inlet tube and I can run the tractor all day and never get hot. The only problem is checking the coolant level as it is out of sight. I either add a little until it can just be seen, or take something that can reach around the tube and see if it comes back wet. Hope this helps.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Farmall Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

Name:
Email: