Farmall 460 brakes finally working

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Farmall 460 brakes finally working

doug (Digger460) The brakes on my 460 did not work at all. I looked at the old brake disks and I thought they were fine, still plenty thick 3/8" to 7/16" thick. After trying everything to get them to work I broke down and bought a new set which measure 1/2" thick. $50.00 on Ebay. That finally did the trick. Stops on a dime now. Hard to believe that an eighth of an inch can make that much difference.
jim glad to hear you got them brakes working, if you examine how the actuator works inside, you will see that as you press the brake pedal it pulls the two outer pivot points closer together as it expands the actuator due to balls rolling up the ramps and the more the lining wears the closer together the pivot points get and it is the same as having a shorter lever, less pressure against the braking surface on the disc. Later model tractors like 656 used shims under the brake drum cover so you could take out shims as linings wore and that way get a lot more wear out of the discs before you had to replace them. It was often difficult to convince the customer his discs were worn out when they were worn so little but results speak for themselves. I find that on the 460, and all models with that diameter disc, and no shims, 7/16 is a minimum for good working brake.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: