505 international

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

505 international

carter I see a 505 int. advertised for sealed tenders I don't know any thing about them It is gas driven looks good in picture any help would be appreciated Carter in Canada
Hugh MacKay carter: Must be 504, IH never built a 505. If 504 it could be gas or dieel. The diesels were excellent tractors, with a D-188 engine, which is just exactly 4 cylinders of the fanous 6 cylinder D-282. Probably two of the better engines IH ever built.

The gassers were the first time IH ever put out a tractor other than the Cub, as a non sleeved engine. It is a C-153, achived by boring out the smaller C-113, C-123 and C-153 used in A, SA, 100, 200, 404, 340, etc. IH bored this engine to the point they could no longer use sleeves, a poor feature in itself. Then to try and get 45 hp, it just taxed the little engine too far. By 2007, most of them have reached the point they can no longer be rebuilt.

There are options if you can buy it at the right price. Find a diesel, however they are not plentiful. The other option is find a C-169 or C-175 from a 300 or 350, larger block with more steel in it, sleeved engine, just a better all around engine than the C-153.

I had one of each 300 and 504. 300 had been bought new by my dad in 1955, and by the time I bought the 504 with 1,500 hours on it and already a new engine rebuild, the 300 was at 12,000 hours and on it's 3 rd set of pistons and sleeves. The 504 came with a farm, and my intention was sell my old 300, and keep the 504. 504 was at IH dealers, being rebuilt when I bought the farm. The vendor wanted to operate the 504 a couple of days, as he had never been happy with the tractor since new, main reason it was being rebuilt. After his 3 day in the seat on a 9' haybine, he advised me I best keep my old 300 and sell the 504. He said the was no point in two of us making the same mistake. He had traded a 300 on the 504 when he bought it.

Before I made my decission, I tried plowing one day using a 3x16 plow first behind the 45 hp 504, then behind the 35 hp 300. The 300 out performed the 504, pulling the plow one gear faster. I plowed 35 minutes with 504 and finished the day with 300. I traded that 504 off to IH dealer, and I'll bet 6 different people bought it in the next ten years, and most of that ten years was spent in used tractor lots. That one was not an exception, they were all that way.

carter edgar Thanks for your information very helpful. As it turns out I lost the bid on the tractor I guess just as well I bid 1000 sealed lost to 1600 Still looking for an older tractor with 3 point hitch and live power take off Any suggestions I'm a cheap Scotchman thanks carter

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ International Farmall Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: