three bottom plow

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Farm Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

three bottom plow

mike pawlek How much horsepower in a 2 wheel drive tractor is required to pull a 3 pt hitch mounted 3 bottom plow?
MF Poor Depends. 3 X12", 3X16"? How deep are you plowing? What sort of ground? (clay? Sand?)

Around here, general rule of thumb, 50 (+) HP for three bottom plows. (And that's an absolute minimum,)

mike pawlek 3 x 16 in sandy soil
MF Poor You MIGHT get by with as little as 45, but I'd say more like 50 and up. (Where I'm from, 3X16"s need a minimum of 60 HP. And that's just barely enough)
Marty D. Thanks folks,
I was about to pull out the wallet for something that I couldn't use. My 2120 is 42hp, and I was told around here it takes 15hp/bottom and that my tractor would handle 3. I'll opt for a two bottom. -Marty

Rich In the old days a one bottom plow needed about 12Hp , so a 24hp tractor was a 2 bottom plow tractor. The old ford N series was a tribute to that. And a 36-40hp tracter could pull a 3 bottom plow. Weight of the tractor is a factor. 3000-4000 lbs is needed to full a 3 bottom plow. It depends on how fast you want to go, Now days it takes more horsepower to go fast 6 mph or more. In the old days we went 3+ miles an hour. That is why the discrepancy in the horsepower figures. It also depends on the size of your farm , small or large and need for speed. I hope this can be of help.
Fred Will a 50HP CaseIH 595 4WD have any trouble pulling a 3 bottom in clay compared to a 595 2WD?
Jerry Saunders
 three bottom plow

i have two Oliver plows three 16 inch bottoms
on both one is trip and the other has a cylinder
to lift it . my question is can i take one bottom off and what is needed to do this i believe the last one is the one i take off and what do i do with the the third wheel on the back both are trailer type

jerry 70 hp should work in any soil i have a three bottom
plow on a 3020 john deere and works good i had to put some weights on front for the clay

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Farm Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.