three bottom plow

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Farm Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

three bottom plow

mike pawlek How much horsepower in a 2 wheel drive tractor is required to pull a 3 pt hitch mounted 3 bottom plow?
MF Poor Depends. 3 X12", 3X16"? How deep are you plowing? What sort of ground? (clay? Sand?)

Around here, general rule of thumb, 50 (+) HP for three bottom plows. (And that's an absolute minimum,)

mike pawlek 3 x 16 in sandy soil
MF Poor You MIGHT get by with as little as 45, but I'd say more like 50 and up. (Where I'm from, 3X16"s need a minimum of 60 HP. And that's just barely enough)
Marty D. Thanks folks,
I was about to pull out the wallet for something that I couldn't use. My 2120 is 42hp, and I was told around here it takes 15hp/bottom and that my tractor would handle 3. I'll opt for a two bottom. -Marty

Rich In the old days a one bottom plow needed about 12Hp , so a 24hp tractor was a 2 bottom plow tractor. The old ford N series was a tribute to that. And a 36-40hp tracter could pull a 3 bottom plow. Weight of the tractor is a factor. 3000-4000 lbs is needed to full a 3 bottom plow. It depends on how fast you want to go, Now days it takes more horsepower to go fast 6 mph or more. In the old days we went 3+ miles an hour. That is why the discrepancy in the horsepower figures. It also depends on the size of your farm , small or large and need for speed. I hope this can be of help.
Fred Will a 50HP CaseIH 595 4WD have any trouble pulling a 3 bottom in clay soil.....as compared to a 595 2WD?
Jerry Saunders
 three bottom plow

i have two Oliver plows three 16 inch bottoms
on both one is trip and the other has a cylinder
to lift it . my question is can i take one bottom off and what is needed to do this i believe the last one is the one i take off and what do i do with the the third wheel on the back both are trailer type

jerry 70 hp should work in any soil i have a three bottom
plow on a 3020 john deere and works good i had to put some weights on front for the clay

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Farm Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: