Ether/ starter fluid

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Farm Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Ether/ starter fluid

Daniel I have a Ford 660, and I want to try spraying ether into the air intake to help start the tractor on cold days.
1. Is this an okay way to start the tractor?

2. Are there any concerns?

Thanks,
Daniel

thingy You can use either if you have to,,,lightly,,,very lightly,,,,but it is not recommended,,,,,,,these desil motors are designed to use desil,,,not gas,,or either,,so,,,,on the other hand,,we used to spray it pretty often into cats and bigger backhoe type equipment,on cold mornings to start and to my knowledge,,never hurt anything,,,but,,,,they didn't belong to me either,,,,,glow plugs,,blockheaters,,etc,,,is where the latest thinking is,,maybe,,,,,but,,,if I absaultly had to start my tractor in sub 0 weather,,either would be my first thoughtthingy
dave If it were me I would spray the starting fluid into the air cleaner intake so that it would be more uniformly sipersed and less likely to cause problems.
STD Bob I would not use ether on a diesel (potential damage). I recommend using WD-40. Works great and won't hurt the engine.
Joe mann does it effect the tractor if you bump the ether button when you are shutting the tractor off after running it all day and it is hot?
Jon I use to work at 4-State-Trucks in the salvage garage. We use to run the diesel engines on either non stop for 30 to 45 seconds at a time and if we couldn't get the engine to turn over after that it was because the ether locked up the engine (Some call it "ether-lock") We would just wait for the engine to cool down and we could get it started again. We usually just used it to get the engine warm when we were testing it. That is after we pulled it out of the truck. As far as I know it won't hurt the engine. We never had bad luck with it.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Farm Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: