Cub Cadet vs. John Deere

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Compact Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Cub Cadet vs. John Deere

Henry I was looking at the reliability ratings (based on readers experiences) in the May 2004 issue of Consumer Reports and John Deere faired much better than Cub. However, these ratings were based on 1999- 2003.
I understand MTD acquired Cub two years ago.
1) Is John Deere really that much more reliable than Cub Cadet?
2) Since Cub is now under new ownership, any positive or negative affect on the quality of manufacture?

Bill Rodgers Cub Cadet has been owned by MTD since 1981. What models are you comparing? Compacts or lawn tractors? It makes a difference. They're both pretty well built but you'll find unhappy owners of both brands. Consider that Consumers Reports is rating all problems/praises of the whole tractor and some of the components aren't manufactured by Cub or Deere. Problems with Cub electric PTO clutches a few years ago were attributed to them when the real problem was with the clutch manufacturer. Compare models at your local dealer (not Lowes or Home Depot) and buy from the dealer who can take care of you best. Service will ultimately be more important than color, tradition or name.
Henry Thanks Bill,
I was considering the Cub Cadet LT1018 w/Kohler Engine- although I understand this model is also available with B&S Engine.
The comparable JD Model is the L110 although I understand it will be replaced by a model with more HP this spring.
My lot is only between half and three-quarters of an acre so I don't think I need anything bigger.
I understand the value of good service and both dealers could take care of me.
However, I don't have a trailer and if I have to have someone pick up the mower everytime it needs service it could get expensive.

EASY I think John Deere makes a better product than the Cub Cadet. However, I decided to buy another Cub Cadet because my local Cub Cadet dealer will let me use a machine if my Cub Cadet needs repair or service. The local Deere dealer doesn't provide that service.
Dad If you buy a John Deere you won't have to worry about borrowing another when yours breaks. The deere won't break as often as a Cub Cadet.
TROY Why buy from a dealer and not from Home Depot or Lowes?
Patrick(John Deere Market Manager-Ohio) 1) The 100 series John Deere at Home Depot are EXACTLY the same as 100 series at your dealer.
2) Your local Home Depot will have a relationship with the nearest dealer and the dealer will service your tractor purchased at Home Depot.
3) John Deere has many advantages over the competition. Durability, ergonomics, dealer support and cut quality. Cub is mimicking John Deere, John Deere has been doing this 100 series for a few years now. If you want more details I can provide them for you.

NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE.

Chip It doesn't matter who makes the components, it is up to cub or whoever to back these parts. I have a Cub compact and cub blames mitsubishi. Well I can't call mitsu as cub will not let other mitsu dealers buy parts.
chip I have a cub compact tractor, Cub blames the problems on mitsubishi. But I can't buy parts from mitsu as cub has tied these parts up.
Tony Williams The John Deere at HD are not any better than the Cub. The cub has a Kohler motor the JD a B & S.
Ask the the John Deere dealer. The ones the LT models at Home depot are not even built by John Deere in Wisconsin. This is not like you are buying a machine that is built by the manufacturer. All the parts for the most parts are made by someone else.

Ken Doesn't JD use almost exclusively B&S engines.

My last mower blew the B&S motor. Therefore I'm trying to stay away from them.

CC uses the Kohler motor in many of it's bigger models. Isn't this a much better motor? It certainly cost more.

ken

Patrick 1)Kohler is more expensive because they make a fraction of the number of engines that B & S makes.
2) 2006 100 series JD uses John Deere Engines powered by B&S. THis means they are B&S engines but John Deere had B&S make them to JD specifications. G4 crankshaft, superfinished etc. They are nicer.

Russ Schooley Ok, so I'm nearing the closing of home which resides on a 1.5 acre lot ... seems time for a lawn tractor. So, I've been shopping and perusing the internet for options, opinions and advice. I've narrowed my choices down to either John Deere or Cub Cadet. I'm looking for a mower with 25+ HP and 48" or larger deck. For John Deere I'm entertaining many options - C155, C190, X300, X304 or X320. For Cub Cadet I'm entertaining only 1 option and that being the GT 1554. What I've noticed is a few more convenience options on the Cub. The Cub comes with the Kohler engine vs. the JD B&S in the C155 and C190's. The cub has seat arm rests, adjustable tie rod ends and a deck wash system which is not available on the JD's. Plus, the Cub GT 1554 is a 'garden tractor'; whereas, the JD c155 and c190's are 'lawn tractors'. Plus the Cub comes with a larger fuel tank capacity. But, in comparing the Cub SLT 1550 to the JD c155 side by side at Home Depot this evening, I noticed that the JD seems to be built a bit heftier. I just wish HD would have had both a c190 and a GT 1554 in stock for a more direct comparison, but that was not the case. I also noticed that the air filter was easier to access on the Kohler engine vs. the B&S. But, the filter system on the B&S seemed to be a better design, IMHO. The Cub also has hatchback struts to assist in lifting the engine hood, which is a nice touch over the JD. But, the JD seemed to be a bit stouter in the tie rods and front end arms which attach to the front wheels. Also, the drive pulleys for the deck seemed to be visibly of a bit higher quality on the c155 than the SLT 1550. But, the belts on the cub were thicker than those on the JD. Then the JD comes with a single axle mount rear wheel; whereas, the Cub has a 4 lug mount rear wheel. And, IMHO, the Cub has a more comfortable steering wheel. The Cub also comes standard with a front bumper, which is an additional accessory to purchase for the JD c155 or c190. The Cub GT 1554 also comes with what they call a 'heavy duty' hydrostatic transmission since it is a 'garden tractor', rather than a 'lawn tractor'. And, the JD c190 is rated at 25HP; whereas, the Cub GT 1554 is rated at 27HP - both come with 54" decks and are equivalently priced at $2999. As for parts, Tractor Supply claims they stock all wear parts for the Cub Cadets; Similarly, I'm sure JD dealers stock any parts I may need for the JD's, regardless of where I purchase the unit. Now I can go to JD and get an X series 300, 304 or 320, spend a bit more money and get a better machine, but is it worth the extra money, smaller engine and smaller mowing deck? Plus, Home Depot or Lowe's will provide me, as a new home owner, with a 10% discount on a one time purchase up to $10,000 (which will easily cover my new lawn/garden tractor and accessories I desire) as well as giving me 12 mos same as cash on the purchase. JD on the other hand doesn't seem to have any similar offer - I'll pay retail on the X series JD and any accessories. But, in the end, what I really want is a reliable lawn tractor which will go for 10 years or more without any major repairs or headaches. So, I'm posting here to get the opinions of some of you who may already own or have experience with either the Cub Cadet GT 1554, one or more of the JD models I've mentioned, both, or simply have some valueable insight to guide me in my purchase decision. Regardless, it seems like a "LOT" of money to spend on a mower, so I want to make sure I don't regret my purchase. Also, Lowe's and Home Depot have a '30 day Trial Period' during which, at any time, I may return the lawn tractor for a full refund if I am dissatisfied for any reason, provided I keep the original purchase receipt. Thanks in advance for your advice and opinions.
wallyman it's funny, but i came to this board with the same questions you have. but, i have owned a jd lx178 (38" deck)for 15 years. it is absolutely the best machine i have ever owned. i cannot say anything bad about my jd. that being the case, i am now looking for a larger deck. but since i am now in my mid 50's, i am not so much interested in getting another 15 years out of a lawn mower. the jd 100 series at home depot, lowes, and dealers is an "economy" line produced to compete with the superstores models in a lower price range. the difference is considerable in material quality. the cub cadet line is similar with the 1000 & 1500 models comparable to the jd 100 series. the cc 2000 and up utilize a drive shaft motor to transmission instead of a belt. all in all, i'm leaning towards a jd x304 or 320. I can always leave it to my wife since the grass won't stop growing when i die.
Russ Schooley Thanks Wallyman! That's the conclusion I came to after a couple weeks of intensive research and shopping. I ended up finding a dealer with a couple '05 JD LX-280s in stock. They were marked down $1,000 each. I purchased one with a 48" deck. I've only driven it around a little bit, but just love it! It was close between this JD and an '05 Cub Cadet 2186. I ended up paying a $750 premium to get the JD, but the bottom line was that my research came up with some negative feedback on the Cub Cadet, but I could uncover no negative feedback on the JD. And, having raced motorcycles for years, I have *NO* tolerance for mechanical failures ... so, I figured the extra money for a more reliable machine is money well spent in my case. After my intensive shopping, I also personally believe that the JD is a more robust, higher quality machine. But, the Cub's do come with a few additional features that the JD's don't have ... shaft drive (vs. belt drive on the JD), deck wash system, seat w/ arm rests, padded steering wheel and gas struts on the engine hood. And, yes, you're right that the Home Depot, Lowe's and Sears machines are definitely sub-par to the implement dealer quality JD and Cub Cadets ... no comparison!! Junk comes in all colors and brands ... but if you want a quality lawn tractor, you'll go to an official implement dealer. Biggest surprise for me was that the junk quality tractors don't even come with front wheel bearings ... instead they only have metal *bushings* ... and check out the steering mechanism ... junk! An easy test on this topic is simply the ease of turn the steering wheel when the machine is at a standstill in the showroom ... My JD LX280 won that test hands down! :)
kevin I am considering the purchase of a new Lawn Tractor. In the Cub Cadet Line - Model 1042-A Kohler 19 HP Engine W/ 42' Cut. The John Deere Line- ModelCX 304- Kawasaki 17 HP Engine W/ 38' Cut. I've Test Drove both models and impressed with both. I do like the option that cub offers that JD doesn't, the deck wash system. The cub is $ 1200.00 cheaper, but I don't want to make an expensive mistake. Your comments concerning this matter are welcomed. THANKS in advance.
Brian JD is using a Kawasaki engine in their X series and Kohler in their lower end machines.
Ron Don't know much about the Cub Cadet, except that the name has been around for a while. My neighbor has one, and has experienced PTO clutch problems, but don't know of any other issues he's had with it. I purchased a new 2005 LX 280 last August, based on consumer satisfaction, with a 54 inch deck. I discussed all the JD series with the dealer, as I mow pretty much all of 5-acres, except for the "footprint" where my house and shop sits, a garden, and a few scattered trees and shrubs. I wanted something that would do the job without wearing me out. The LX and GX series tractors rated at 18-hp are all Kawasaki engines. I assume folks are thinking they are B&S engines, because their outword physical v-twin configuration looks very similar at first glance. But if you take the hood off to service the air cleaner, you will be staring at the Kawasaki logo. They also used some Kohler engines in the upper-end higher hp GX models. Only the L-series(which is the same L-series both at the dealer and retail outlets per the dealer, and upon examination) use B&S engines. I asked the dealer why the lower-end L-series is rated at higher hp. The response was that the Kohler and Kawasaki engines are made to JD specs, while the L-series uses pretty much whatever B&S mass produces for the market. How do I like the LX-280? I'd buy it all over again. Yeah, it's rated for 3-acres, but it doesn't know it. It has worked flawlessly, plenty of power to pull the hills and mow a 54" cut over 5-acres in 4 to 4-1/2 hours. When the grass gets away from me, it doesn't seem to matter. It starts on the first turn, and runs very quite and smooth. The 48 & 54 inch decks have deck leveling wheels that will pivot 90 degrees, then pull the belt release lever and disconnect the deck. When you drop the deck to the floor, it just rolls nicely as a unit out from under the tractor. I flip it up against my work bench and can easily remove the blades for sharpening. Just a very high quality unit all around. Oh, and the dealer said with regular scheduled maintenance, and designed use, the tractor should last 20-25 years without any major issues. Well...now, I'm in my late fifties, so this might be interesting trying to cash in on that claim.
Russ Schooley Thanks for your feedback Ron! That was exactly the decision I made. I purchased an '05 LX280 w/ 48" deck and mulch kit. I've been very pleased with it so far. And, I've even purchased JD attachments to go along with it. What JD makes, as far as the attachments are concerned, seem to be of much higher quality than what HD or Lowe's has to offer. So, I've spent the extra money and gotten the authentic JD attachments as well. I did an extensive amount of shopping and research prior to my purchase and am confident that I made the right choice. IMHO, as far as the LX280 is concerned, it's more than just green paint. I just love this machine! :)

Randy I have a 9 year old JD LX176 and it still runs like a deere. Zero problems during that time but I have the hots for the JD X304, 4 wheel steering would be so cool. But the model is so new that there are few reviews and no feedback on this unit. The JD rep told me the X300 was the very bottom of the "real" John Deere line. Anything below that was not a real John Deere with B&S and Kohler engines. Its another market altogether. My neighboor had low end JD and it only lasted a few years while my LX176 is going strong going on 10 years old.
wallyman be careful of the JD X Series. I looked to replace a 15 year old LX178 38" deck solely to get a wider cut. Last year the LX280 48" sold for about $4600. This year the replacement model for the 280 is the X320. This unit sells for $3899 or $3999. Why such a reduction in price? John Deere won't tell you the truth...the materials used are not as good. Ask them about the battery: 2005 model = 775 cca's, 2006= 175 cca's. just look at all those JD's at home depot and lowe's. I don't know about the othe residential or commericial models, but I would do my homework before I spent any money on the X line. John Deere must be spinning in his grave.
kevin I asked for some feedback on the john deere lawn tractor vs. cub cadet. I heard back from the john deere line but little from the cub cadet. The cub cadet model I'm looking at is the 1042.
this model has a 19 hp Kohler Engine, a 42' deck with dual blades, and An dech wash, that rinses out from under the deck when your finished mowing, an option that John Deere does not offer. The mulch kit is included in the cadet, but is extra in the john deere. Come on, surely there are some Cub Cadet owners, There is approximately, a $ 1400.00 - $ 1600.00 difference

kevin I asked for some feedback on the john deere lawn tractor vs. cub cadet. I heard back from the john deere line but little from the cub cadet. The cub cadet model I'm looking at is the 1042.
this model has a 19 hp Kohler Engine, a 42' deck with dual blades, and An dech wash, that rinses out from under the deck when your finished mowing, an option that John Deere does not offer. The mulch kit is included in the cadet, but is extra in the john deere. Come on, surely there are some Cub Cadet owners, There is approximately, a $ 1400.00 - $ 1600.00 difference

ChrisH I owned a Cub Cadet 2415 for 12 years. Just purchased a JD X304. What I've noticed is the Cub was much "smoother" in the noise and vibration it creates, probably due to the shaft drive. The JD makes a bunch of racket from the deck. However, I've had electrical probems with the Cub for as long as I can remember.
The JD is a Kawasaki v-twin OHV. Pretty nice. The Cub has an Onan single OHV.
Both cub and JD are sold by the big box home centers. So far, I love the JD, especially the 4WS. We'll see how much more maintenance it requires. There's a pretty big jump from the JD 100 series to the X300. Frame gauge is thicker, better engines. The 100 series was made to compete with the Troy-bilts and Craftsman type mowers. The JD dealer said that the HP for the 100 series is at the flywheel, the X series at the wheel, since the listed HP is a substantial drop from the 100 to the X series. Hope this helps.

Russ Schooley One Deere dealer told me that the real Deere's now begin in the X500 series. The X300's are not completely comparable with the LX280 they're replacing. That was one of the many reasons I purchased a left over '05 LX280 over a new X320 or X324. Quality and bang for the buck was definitely in the '05 LX280. I've got no regrets, as the Deere has been marvelous. And, upon close inspection, the Deere's are simply built better than the comparable Cub Cadet products.
Russ Schooley Thanks for the follow-up Henry! I purchased a leftover '05 LX280 and am very satisfied. I liked the idea of the shaft drive on the Cub Cadet as well, but the rest of the package didn't seem to stack up to the Deere. A quick test I used is simply to turn the steering wheel on both machines while they are sitting motionless. Also, try to adjust the seat on the Cub and then do the same on the Deere. Those are 2 noticeable areas of better equipment on the Deere. I paid a $700 premium to acquire the Deere over a comparable Cub Cadet ... but, I don't regret it for a minute. As for the JD and Cubs you find at the "box stores", I don't believe they're much different or better than the machines they're built to compete against. The fact that they have bushings in the front wheels rather than bearings was the final straw for me that sent me shopping at the New Holland/Cub Cadet and Deere dealers for my purchase. After my intensive research, shopping and eye inspections, I determined that you just don't really get a quality lawn tractor for under $4,000. And, when you factor the price over the life of the machine, I think you still come out ahead by spending a bit more money up front. But, only time will tell if that's true. It was a bit hard justifying buying one real JD for the same price I could purchase 2 Sears Craftsman units ... but I wanted quality and durability ... so I bought the green paint. So far I'm glad I spent the extra money and purchased the Deere.
ron i just purchased a new cub cadet lt1042 this morning. I absolutely love it. I have been shopping and comparing for several months now and believe CC is the best buy. Now i will retire my old john deere 112. It has given me many years of good service, but to replace it with another JD wasn't feasable due to the high price of green paint. My new CC doesn't have as sturdy frame work as my deere, but no new machines do. If anyone is interested, my deere is for sale.
kevin rose Thanks for the feedback and comments. I had tried to purchase a cub cadet from my local dealer. But the dealer would not return my phone calls, and when I called the dealership, I was put on hold forever. I then began to think if this is the service I get before the sale - how about after the sale. I wound up buying my first choice, John Deere Model X300. I paid a little more for the green paint, but I believe it was money well spent. J.D. service was great.
Bernie I just purchased the John Deere X304, Kawasaki 17 hp 4ws 42in mulch deck. Love the machine, runs quite. Mulch deck works excellent if you look close at the wire layout under the hood everything is neat,tied down easy to find. I know these are small things but if you just look at the wheels every mower will look the same. I think the john deere is a better machine. X300 and up, also look under the hood there is like a full frame to hold steering wheel componets the cheaper models are very weak in that area. 5 years down the road that makes a big difference.
Bob Bumgardner I went with the GT 1554. So far no problems and I love the 54" deck. Machine runs and sounds good. I have a TSC on my way home so its easy to stop by and get new filters etc.
Darreld I too just bought a JD X300 with a 42" cut. This is by far exceeding my expectations. I had a very old JD riding lawnmower( a 91 model) which just kept running. So the decision to but JD was short tracked. I compared this model to the new Toro LX series 500, bigger cut but very cheaply made interms of framing, gaurding for belts( but motor is a KOHLER!!), and general workmanship low. The extra few hundred dollars for the JD will pay off since the Kawi's 17hp engine is rated for an easy 1000 hrs of use, total life is an easy 1200 hrs I was told.
chez i have to chime in here. I just purchased a LT1045 Cub cadet. i looked very hard at both this model and the JD 125. To me there was no comparison. you are overpaying for the JD 125. The cub was a much better bargain. with the 1045 you get a 46" deck with mulcher, NOT on the JD, you get the high back seat, deck washer and a kohler motor instead of the BS Intek. I have been very happy with it so far. It cuts nice, in fact the first time i cut my lawn it was over 9" high (on vacation for a week) and the cubby cut right thru it. It goes up hills just fine etc..

it's hard to beat the price of the 1042 or 1045. (basically the same except for the deck size). The JD 125 just didn't seem anything like a real deere and i refuse to pay over $100 more for less features just cuz it says JD on the side.

Patrick Yep..Cubs are nice. They don't have the fully robotically welded frame, smooth deck undersized, same comfort or quality engine. The Kohler Courage is not the Command. It uses mechanical lifters just like the Briggs. Not what the Kohler was when it was a Command using hydraulic lifters. Add in G4 crankshaft and superfinishing the Briggs for JD is the best engine in the Yard Tractor industry. COnsumer Reports rated the 125 as the NUMBER 1 in mass channel (JD X300 series was number 1 overall). This is an unbiased opinion. Consumer digest also gave a Deere 100 series tractor it's highest rating. So in review, better frame, better engine, better cut quality..no brainer. Cubs are nice and you may love it, they just aren't a Deere.
Joe I drove a Cub CC2542 yesterday. Runs nice. Shaft drive is smooth. But I don't really like the Kohler.

I expect to drive a JD X304 this week. I'm leaning toward the JD. But I expect to plow snow, and I am trying to figure out if AWS is better or worse for plowing snow.

Brad Kevin, I have the 1042 and have had no problems as of yet. I now have 55 hours on it. I traded a troy built(the worst mower IMO)for it. The troy was 22 horses B@S and the 19 horse cub I cannt tell the difference.The Cub cuts great,rides great and is very easy to change the oil etc. I can not speak for its durrability but I have had no problems. The engine being on the front of the tractor does make it a little light on the rear wheels but it does the job. I also use synthetic oil in everything and if it is better for your car probablly better for your tractor also.
dg I have an old 1330 Hydrostatic Cub cadet with a 38" deck and a 12.5 Kohler Command motor. I mow about 2 acres at least once a week with it. Trouble free little machine. I love my Cub But have thought about a newer tractor with a bigger deck. I also looked at HD and Lowes offerings in the Cub Cadet and JD line. I didn't like the rear transaxle mount to the frame setup on the low end JD's. It looked like an after thought mounting system and some shelving brackets from isle 5. I was afraid it would bend. The cubs are in my opinion a little better. But both have relativly cheap engines compared to the Command and that shy's me away. I have been really looking closely and Dollar for dollar, I think you buy more features, quality, and performance with a cub cadet. If you really want to spend the money on an upper end John Deere (x300, x500, x700), you own it to yourself and your life savings to check out a 2500 or 3000 series Cub from a Cub dealer. You will be impressed. I have also used Kubota diesel tractors at my dad's and would consider one of those, but dealer support for Kubota blows in my area. Looks like I'm going to buy a Cub.
Randy Looked at the CC 2542 and its an awesome mower for sure. But it only has 2.25 gallon fuel tank and looks like it would be awkward to backup with the deck going. The JD X304 got top pick by consumer union reports, they especially like the 4ws. My wife likes it better too and since she does most of the mowing I guess I'll stay with JD. Thanks, Randy
Andre Deschenes Need some advice on my purchase of a JD X320 or the JD 500. I was surprised to learn that the transmission on the X320 is the same as that on the 155C. It's the K58. Also, the transmission on the 190C seems to be even better (K62). This is why I hesitate to buy the X320 but cannot really afford to go to the X500. Ok I can but it will mean making sacrifices elsewhere. I would love your input on this. Thanks!
wallyman I learned that JD went to the cheap with their news lines, and this includes the X300 series. JD's reliable quality mowers/tractors start with the 500.
Joe Sorry...but I don't think I can help. I chose the X304 over the X300 becuase of the tranny difference (X300 = K46, and X304 = K58). For me, the K58 does the job well.

Greg I'm glad I found this post because I too am trying to decide on which to buy. I have been to HD and Lowes and to my neighborhood lawnmower shop. The latter recommends the X300 for my 1/2 acre. It is an over kill I'm sure but he did show me the JD 100 series offered at HD and the chassis is much lighter. I did make this observation though, my wallet will be much lighter if I go with the X300.
farmernudi Went with the JD X300 after LONG, MAJOR debate over switching to Cub Cadet. JD is "just better" and all my research always ends up pointing that direction. Then, it was just deciding which JD to get, another long process...lol...so hard to choose and find resources to properly help you make the decision, ya know!
John B I have an 20005 Cub Cadet LT1042. I have had two failures to date. The first was the clutch @ 50 hours and today @ 125 hours the steering has failed. In Southwest Florida the Cub Cadet warranty support is awful. I bought my Cub Cadet LT1042 from my local Tractor Supply but any warranty service is over 50 miles away. Fortunately I have a Dodge Ram 1500 and I can haul it myself.
I loved my Cub Cadet Tractor at first but I am starting to wonder and worry about Cub Cadet quality. Is the Cub LT 1042 a poorly designed machine??

Patrick I wouldn't go so far as to trash the competition and call it poorly designed but...
If you look at the surface Cub appears to be better since they have bigger decks and meaningless extra HP. The deck wash system has been looked at by our engineers but too much water corrodes the deck. If you want to keep the durability of the unit you cant have that. In theory it is a good idea it just isnt good enough for JD. Cub appeals to those that don't dig deep enough. Deere has more durability, better cut, and MUCH better dealer support. Just look at this years CR magazine. Look at the brand repair history. Deere is number 1, CUb is number 4. (behind Craftsman...ouch)

Patrick You made the right choice. Best tractor out there is the JD X series.
Patrick I nominate that for the most ridiculous comment of the year. JD doesn't ever "go the cheap" on tractors. We pay for fully welded frames, engines to OUR specs, not the engine manufacturers, and we have the best support. X300 is the top rated tractor by CR. The competition pays for 2 extra horse and 2" of deck size. No brainer.
Patrick ...and you gotta love the 4 wheel steering!
John B I used the term "poorly designed" because after some 20+ years as an engineer at an auto company, that is the term we use when something fails in such a short time. I am actually a Cub Cadet owner and this is my true opinion so far into this ownership experience. I expected a machine to last at least ten years or longer and sell at my curb for a couple hundred bucks when I replaced it.
I replaced a smaller Toro Garden tractor (32 inch deck) and I wish I hadn't - The Toro is still in service. I will most likely have to borrow my neighbor's JD to cut my lawn during the 7 to 10 days it takes to get my CC back from warranty repairs.
As a note to CC owners needing warranty work use the search engine from the CC website but enter a few local zip codes. I used my zip code and a service center located 50+ miles from me was my only choice. I entered a zip code just south of me and a list of six appeared. Even their website has a few glitches. Hahahaa!!!

John B Maybe I should keep my Cockshutt!!! Hahahaa!!
Laurie H We have owned a Cub Cadet series 1000 for a little over a year now that was bought brand new by our local Lowes. We have someone cut our yard two times a month and the other two we cut ourselves. So needless to say we have very little hours put on it. Since we've owned it we have already gone to get the gas pedal fixed because it stuck and stayed at a certain speed unless you slammed to gas or reverse down. We've also have had a new clutch put on it ($375.00) about a month and a half ago. I used it once since it has been fixed and now it doesn't work again. The same problem continues to happen. The PTO clutch won't release itself therefore, I can't cut my grass. Does anyone else have this problem with this series and if yes what should we do?
John B I've had the clutch replaced on my Cub LT1042 once last year at @ 40 hours of use. Now it is in for warranty repairs again @ 124 hours for steering and transmission overheating problems. Other than these instances I love my machine.
I had to borrow a neighbor's John Deere L111 this morning to cut my lawn. It gave me a great opportunity to compare the two machines. The John Deere lacks many items that I take for granted on my Cub. I don't like the John Deere L111 two foot operations (I am disabled - my left foot has paralysis), the button hold down for reverse cutting, the mechanical PTO engagement, two anti-scalp wheels on the deck vs. the Cub's four, the gas tank filler location and small capacity, the Brigg's engine vs. a Kohler and so on. I know that these two machines are in the same price category. Also I don't doubt if MTD makes the two machines, so we are really talking about MTD models not a Cub versus a John Deere.
I hope that the service outlet puts on a new clutch that is the proper engineering change level and you get many years of service to come.
In closing I do wish that I bout a service policy that was offered from Tractor Supply when I bought my Cub LT1042 in May 2005. It seemed like a lot of extra $$'s to lay out on a new tractor that was of such high quality and features when it was being touted by the sales staff.

farmernudi I've read too many PTO clutch problems with Cubs to mention actually.

Glad i stuck with Deere. My new X300 is WAY better than my last JD LT155 even.

Dad's was/is even older than my LT155 was at trade-in, and his is still running and has not had to take it in for any problems regularly for the longest time-knock on wood.

jwwayy I have read all the posts and it seems like almost eveyone here is on the JD payroll. JD this JD that
holy smokes. I have 2.5 acres of wet uneven ground to mow. I travel a lot for work so sometimes it is two weeks before I have a chance to cut it. I own a Cub lt 1045 it blasts through this heavy grass with ease. Ok mtd builds em. Mercedes builds dodge and jeep. This site seems more of a JD fan site than true comparison between two similar LT's. The deckwash system works great. Is someone going to tell me now how it is not good to rinse the deck?
if so should i stop washing the dirt and bugs off my car too? how about covering my house with a tarp when it rains?

Randy I'm glad you enjoy your Cub but find it amusing that we JD advocates are seen to be the JD "fan club." More interestingly I found a couple of your comments rather broad like Jeep being made by MB.
And I followed your post right up to the tarp over the house???? ;-) Sorry, you lost me.
Like I said in an earlier post I have an LX176 that is almost 10yr old and runs perfectly and has never had anything done to it other than reg maint. I honestly believe it will go another 10yr with proper care. But that JD 4WS is killing me. They offered me 1k sight unseen for my LX.
This thread is labeled wrong...CC vs JD
Both are fine machines.

farmernudi Cub Cadets are fine in my opinion...debated seriously about switching over to CC but then stuck with JD X300.

Have some family members that did try cubs...they like them mostly. They've had Minimal to few problems. Lots of other famly members have always owned Deere with little to no problems tho. No reason to change.

Personally just like JD better...something about them i just like better, can't put my finger on it really...ease of use is great, durability...i dunno....don't think people on here consider selves on JD payroll tho...everyone has their opinion on tractors just like anything else.

One thing I have noticed, is the people that own cubs, come over and try my deere and REALLY like it when they're on it and don't want to get off....lol...seriously.

John B. Great Post! I feel the same way. Unfortunately I have been without my CC LT 1042 for over 2 weeks due to a transmission and steering unit failure. Fortunately my neighbor has a JD L111 that he lets me borrow. This has given me the opportunity to evaluate the JD's. I find that the JD has many shortcomings. These range from a poor cut from the 42 inch deck (has two anti scalp wheels only @ front CC has four) my CC has 5 cut heights the JD only has four, in order to cut in reverse on the JD you have to push a button each time you wish to do so (the CC has a ignition key system that you set and go), the accelerator pedal on the JD is a two foot placement position item not a convenient one foot system like the CC. There are more minor items like the hour meter without amperage reading etc… but I don’t want to be petty.
However, I am upset about my CC LT1042 record of breakdowns. Last year it was the PTO clutch this year it is the steering and a new transmission is needed all at 123 hours of use. It has been in the shop for over 17 days and the transmission is still on order or in transit. Being rainy season in Florida my lawn needs to be cut every 5 – 6 days. It is not fun to have to borrow the neighbor’s machine any longer. I wonder if there is a “lemon Law” regarding a lawn tractor similar to what new cars warranties offer.

Larry Reading all of this, I find myself extremely lucky. I don't have to think about it :)

I was recently given a CubCadet 1864 by a family member. It was bought new in 1995, used for 2 years/134 hours, and then put into climate controlled storage for 6-7 years.

Kohler Command V-Twin OHV 18HP. Heavy Duty 48" deck with outriggers. Power Steering. Power lift. etc... It was $5200 new in '95.

All I had to do was rebuild the carburetor (7 years does bad things to gas) and grease it. Runs like a champ.

Now, I've compared this tractor to several at HD, Lowes, Sears, etc... It's an ENTIRELY different animal.

Much heavier frame. In fact everything on it just looks far more industrial than what I saw at these stores. Hell, the thing weighs almost 1000 pounds!

From what I'm hearing, they don't build em' like this any more. At least not in the typical consumers price range.

Brad B. As others mentioned before I also am trying to decide between a CC1042 single cylinder Kohler or a JD125 twin cylinder B&S. I noticed the CC has more options for cheaper that JD don't offer. I have also heard and was conformed by both dealers that the CC tends to have more clutch and pto problems. If anyone can convince me on eiter of the two tractors please let me know. Thanks
John B. I am the owner of a CC LT 1042. It is in for "service" at this time for a transmission problem. CC insists that if a transmission develops a warranty concern the complete assembly is to be replaced. I feel that is a good policy, however it has been three weeks since I took it in for service on that item and a steering gear failure. On the positive side, I've been using my neighbors JD L11 (a B&S twin cyl. 20 HP) 42" cut the price point is what I believe to be the same as my CC LT 1042 @ $1600.
I still believe that I made the right choice in purchasing a CC. There are many more features and down right ease of use items along with a superior mulch cut (with more cutting heights). I have outlined the feature differences in my past postings.
My LT 1042 was purchased in May 2005, so it is an early production run. It is quite probable that the bugs and glitches have been eradicated by now. Also don't forget about the three-year warranty.
Happy mowing
John

farmernudi that is the thing i hear from friends, on forums, boards, etc...that people with Cubs have them "in service" a lot. BUT...they still seem to like them. So i dunno.

I'm glad i got a new Deere, and stayed with Deere...that's just me. I've got nothing agaisnt Cubs tho. For me it was try a cub or stick with Deere and I had no "bad reason or history" to change really. They've been good to our family.

thomas sweeney i have a 6 yr. old CC #2140 with the Onan 14hp single.....it has performed very well,however,i have noticed an oil leak from,i think the split block behind the PTO asssembly. i REALLY would like another with shaft drive ,as this has been TOTALLY trouble free,i'm concerned that a belt drive system,even with "Kevlar" belts will fail when i can least afford it!!! THAT IS MY CHIEF CONCERN...belt vs. shaft.....CC makes garden tractors with either drive option for the SAME PRICE...$2999.00....so,am i making "much ado about nothing"??? i REALLY want a garden tractor designation for the larger tires etc...i only mow .68 acres (fully) and i have rough terrain,and hills which really test my nerves at times...but i CANNOT afford to 'fritter" away valuable resouces at this time..i'm 57yo,would really like a Kohler command twin (with hydraulic lifters!)simply for the smoothness....any ideas???....thanks, tom ;-/
thomas sweeney ....whoopsies!!!...i forgot to check the box,also is it the Kohler command twin that has hydraulic lifters???? i was looking at the CC 2542

...........thanks....tom (again!)

Patrick Yes...the Command had hyraulic. The Courage, just like Briggs, has mechanical. The Engines are really not separated by anything anymore...the John Deere by Briggs, however, has been superfinished and given the G4 crankshaft as requested by JD to meet JD specs.
Rich in NJ I own a Wheel Horse 14HP single cylinder kohler lawn tractor - bought new in 1983. Nothing ever replaced except spark plug & blades. The engine has approx 2600 hours on it. I mow 3 acres of grass per week- and it runs great but I want a new tractor. Since Wheel Horse is gone - what do I need to buy that will last as long and is as well made as this old Wheelhorse??? I will not buy from Home Depot or Lowes. I've ruled out Cub because of some of the stories here - so thinking on a Deere. Can you fellows help me with this - I want simple, strong and durable. Thanks!
Rich - New Jersey

farmernudi I'd go with an X300 series JD, personally,...but, you will get ten million diff. opinions wherever you go and ask...so it boils down to what YOU can afford and what YOU like personally..lol..you can get a lemon with any brand, that's the truth of it when it's all said and done.
Dan In Harcourt I purchased a new CC lt1042 from a local dealer. At 10 hours the electric PTO went out. At the dealers now. Reading all this makes me wonder if I bought the right machine.

Walt in Texas I bought the X300 to replace my old 160 that's 20 years old with at least 2000 hrs on it. It doesn't smoke, it starts right up and all it's had done is new belts once, one spark plug, one pully bearing, 5 sets of blades, two tire changes and a filter. Never been in the shop. I bought the X300 so I would pay it off before I retire and while JD still uses the kawasaki engine like I have in the 160.
Things like 2 more HP, lifts for the hood (don't want to strain ourselves Ha), deck washer to ruin the bearings (that will surely infest the spindle bearings), and padded wheel are not what I see as a requirement for a tractor I need to get out and work hard. I drag limbs, an 8 ft trailer, mow brush and small trees and even the grass. JD has proven itself to me, so another brand just wouldn't cut the mustard. But I would imagine some would even decide to buy a tractor just because it has perhaps a more comfy seat - some folks are just getting too soft.

Steve Lots of good points and debates here. I have a CC Z Force 44 that so far does a great job, though there were a couple minor things that had to be corrected (starter solenoid and gas tank). otherwise runs and mows quite good. The main argument I have for buying a Cub is comparing zero turn mowers, JD doesn't offer anything under $6k range.
That's a chunk of money to justify for most home owners. There's some debate on riding mowers & tractors as far as which is the better value/better machine, but on the zero turn mowers, its hard to beat the Cub Z Force for value. For example, mine is a 20hp Kohler Command V Twin, fully welded box frame, timken bearings, decent deck, heavy duty blades, plenty of grease fittings, residental/commercial warranty, 5 gal fuel tank, etc for $3599. Maybe not the very best on the market, but its not a bad value.
Hope it lasts 1/2 as long as my 40+ yr old 7hp Simplicity rider that still runs and mows, and has had so little maintenance its unbelievable.

PE RE: NO JD zero turn under 6k.

Keep your eyes peeled ;-)

NIck well i`m gonna put my two cents in i work at a Cub dealership and for the most part before i worked here i was a john deere fanatic and still am but as for JD`s smaller stuff its getting to be junk i`m sorry its the truth now that 6400 i got at home is top notch wouldn`t have anything else but the cub line of garden and lawn tractors are better then the green ones plus the warranty is better and as for the home depoe and lowes is concerned i hate then places what happens is a dealer knows how to prep a tractor off the truck they do`nt thats why cubs are gettin a bad name cub ships tractors with the decks un leveled or grease so the accessories the customer gets can be adjusted to the deck mowing hight thats why the box stores do`nt know shit and as for them having a relationship with the dealer thats false in my store we personaly are tired of there screw ups thank you
Greg I was mowing my lawn with my Cub Cadet LT1018 yesterday and as I was turning a corner, I felt a click in the steering column. I immediately lost most steering control as the mower decided to yield to the forces from the bumps in the lawn. I was able to return the mower to the barn where I examined the steering gear. I found the lower portion of the shaft, where the pinion gear comes through the frame and engages the steering gear, loose and wabbly (a technical term) with no method or ability to tightening the connection and stop the wabble. When I turn the steering wheel, the lower gear of the shaft slips when it encounters the pressure and backs away from the steering gear teeth, slips a notch and grabs the next tooth only to repeat the process.

Looks like junk design! My dad was on his way to buy a slightly bigger Cub as mine has been very good--until now. I was lucky enough to stop him as he got in his truck to go to Home Depot. He had an Murray mower that was pure junk, we never were able to stablize the deck and have it hold any specific height--we welded the parts together.

I examined the fische parts details on the cubcadet web site and cannot find anything on the tractor or in the fische that would allow me to stop the play in the lower gears.

Any suggestions (besides insure it and burn it :-} )? Taking it to a dealer is out of the question, it's out of warranty (with only 72 hours use) and I don't have the funds to pay someone else to repair it. Thanks in advance.

Billy I just bought a CC1042 and I have 3 words to says about it "I LOVE IT". Sorry to the JD fans but dollar for dollar I could not justify buying a JD. Friends have the JD and say they are good. I looked at the JD 3 times and could not make a decision. I looked at the Cub once and had it delivered 3 hours later. It was a no brainer.
Beach_Girl_Is_21y Hi Guys! This is a nice forum.
I don't have much time now, so I just wanted to say hi.

Mark I purchased my 1st 2186 CC in 1995. It was a very good machine untill I replaced the electic clutch(2x's) at 600.00 per repair. I traded it off in 2003 for a 2518 and also replaced the electric pto in 2005 still under warranty. It started to go along with the 20 hp Kohler engine. Front lights fell off and moved over them at a cost to replace of 150.00 I have had enough of MTD. Traded last week for new JD X 700 with a hydralic clutch.
Kevin Sorry guys for 10 years I said I would buy JD. Then I did research and CC is better. JD until recently had Kohler in a lot of there mowers and switched to B&B. I went to a 3 different dealers that sold both and CC is top dog period. I then checked sales local/national, again CC top dog. As a matter of fact in talking to the dealer JD has be trying to catch CC in sales for years as well as all others. No one has and now that JD switched some of it line to B&B this dealers sales for JD have gone down. You can find happy and uphappy owners of both, that's just volume as cars, trucks or anything else. Bottom line when all facts in CC is better period.
mark Kevin, BEWARE!! Remember when your electric clutch goes that you were warned. I too liked alot if things about the cub but it is truely a heavier duty and nicer painted MTD made for 1-2 acres or less.
tom Just bought a Cub 1550 to replace my John Deere (Sabre) 1846. I was told at the time I purchased the Sabre from the local John Deere Dealer that the Sabre was the same quality as the entire JD line. I paid a premium for it over a comparable Sears, Troy, or other low end. I have had numerous problems with it and I am disillusioned with JD and my local dealer. I bought the Cub Cadet from a local dealer after comparing it with the JD offerings at my local HD. I thought the Cub was better built than the low end JDs and had more features and bang for the buck. So far I am satisfied, but I will revisit this forum when I have some more hours on it and give an update.
ab Thanks, I was looking to replace my JD LX 176 with the X304 and my mind is made up. I will be purchasing the X304 Today! Nothing Runs Like A Deere!
Ex John Deere Fan As a long time Deere owner, I would say that things have drastically gone down hill for them. As for the previous post about the John Deere L series having a G4 crank...I bought an L111 from a dealer and it has a plain B&S 20 V-Twin Intek engine that doesn't have John Deere on it anywhere. The hood is held on by push nuts attaching to plastic tabs that break easy and require the entire hood to be replaced. My advice is to go with what fits you best and you get the best deal on because all of the lower end mowers with reputable names on them are nothing more than fancied up Murray's (MTD's). My feeling is that if John Deere mowers were in big demand because of their quality as in the past, they wouldn't have resorted to selling them at Home Depot and Lowe's and pulling their products from local dealers that sold them for years. Any of the hardware store mowers, (Troy Bilt, Cadet, Husquvarna, Deere, etc... ) will produce the same results for you and all basically have the same warranty.
Ed Munster I have a 2005 Cub Cadet 2186. It does have a fully welded frame, and a 11 gauge steel deck. It also has a 20 HP Kohler Command, and HydroGear tranny with filter. It is a real Cub. And the 1000 series cubs do have a fully welded frame, just go to Cub's website and look. Also, the Home Depot and Lowes John Deere's are really not a John Deere at all. I don't care what Patrick says. The cheap JD's at your local big box store has nothing in common with a 100 series from a JD dealer. Look at the transmissions. The big box store's have a Tuff Torq tranny. Patrick works for Deere, and just is trying to keep their little secret quite. Also, Kohler Commands Rule!!
Tom You guys can discuss this til your blue. All I care about is the bottom line which is the best value for my money. Cub Cadet offers a 3 year warranty (5 year on the frame)and John Deere only 2. This to me speaks for itself. If John Deere lawn tractors are so durable why don't they top Cub's warranty? My Cub Cadet 2005 SLT 1554 has a cheaper price than its John Deere equivalent and it has more options including a superior warranty.
Steve Hey I am looking at the cub GT2544 and the deere X320 I am completely torn which way to go and why.Can anyone help me with this.

Steve Im having trouble choosing between the jd x320 or the cc gt2544. can anyone help my decision
Steve M PICKED UP X320 APRIL 10 AFTER OWNING CUB, CRAFTSMAN GT, 20 YR OLD HYDRO 185 JD. TURNS GRASS INTO SAWDUST. BY THE WAY I HAVE MY OWN LANDSCAPING SERVICE.22 HORSE KAWASAKI TWIN BEST U CAN GET BAR NONE,QUIETER THAN MY NEW HONDA PUSH MOWER.
Brandon You get what you pay for.If you buy low line you get.... well....lowline.We tossed around cc jd and kub and after goin to each dealership we chose a jd x500.the cc has a lot of nice features but as far as quality in similar price range the jd and kub came out over cc.I loved the kub diesel but was out of the price range for us.
Mark Steve, There is no ? that the JD X320 is by far the easy choice over the cc2544. The 500.00 List price difference for the Deere is money well spent. 48 in deck, Kaw eng. smaller turn radius and better agronomics. Down the road less problems over all. Don't get sucked in by cc warranty.
Randall Buy The Deere---The Powerflow Bagger is the BEST in the Business. The thing will suck up Dog Poop. I bought the X324 for the 4-wheel steering. Sure you pay more, but try to sell a Used Craftsman or Cub on ebay ...nobody wants them. Goodluck.
sam I've been agonizing over what to buy for my 1 acre yard that has a 21 degree angle in the front yard. I tried to get the scoop, from the JD dealer, on the transmission upgrade from the x300(k47) to the x304 and x320 (k56). It's critical for me to have a solid transmission without moving up to the 500 series (too much $ for me). I nearly purchased a 1983 JD216 for $800 with three attachements. Going that old scared me though. Can anyone give me the actual specification differences between the JD tranny's? I need to buy something this weekend. Thanks to all!!
rod note:
I was looking at cub vs. deere myself
dealer claims the cub is sturdy, has 4 lug nots on back wheels vs. a single pin, front end is heavier, deck is high gauge steel, plus the hose conector built in to clean the deck. Additionally you can get 24 month, no finance option from MTD (owner of cub cadet) - im looking at the 1042 which comes to 2193 with tax or ~92 per month...

john cooper
hey! go steady on the Murry. Bought one 7 years ago and frankly for $750.00 it was brilliant. it mowed my lawn, neighbours lawns, pulled logs and crap all day long. I had rakers and pluggers ,plus it towed the kids in the snow...sadly the engine went but not through cutting 20 yards of lawn a weekend.

I agree with most of what is written but being English I have to tell you that most of what i buy seems to be poorly QA'd. the USA retail system is all about write up. not set up. I bought a craftman top of the range SP walk behind, drive shaft did not engage after 2 hours use ?? personally if i could find a rolls royce with a cup holder ( jesus can you not walk to the kitchen) and 42 inch deck I might be tempted.

Matt Hi, we bought a Cub Cadet lt 1050 tractor for the lawn. We paid $2000 for it. It is the biggest pile of junk I have ever owned. It has been nothing but trouble. At the moment it has no steering and the engine is running on one cylinder. It has 51 hours on it mowing my lawn. Prior to that we had a Craftsman that ran for 12 years and was near trouble free apart from belts etc. I bought the Cub Cadet because we live in a small town and got it at the Tractor Store because it was convenient to do so. Never again.
Melissa I, too, have been researching Cub Cadet vs John Deere. First, you have to compare apples to apples. You can't compare the 1000 series in the CC line to the x300 + series in a JD.

I am comparing a 2544CC to the X304 JD. Both are 3199.00 but I would have to buy the heavier bumper and the deck wash attachment that JD offers at additional cost. Both of which are included in the 2544 Cub Cadet. The shaft driven CC is not truly shaft driven the mower is belt driven. It shifts the power from the engine to the transmission with the shaft driven.

I have no experience with either model or make for that matter.
Please! any advice would be greatly appreciated.

LeoOshkosh I heard that Murray Lawn Mowers actually make the decks used on JD garden tractors. Is this true?

I would never buy a low end Deere. These are basically Murray lawn mowers. The X300 is nice, but I think the Cub Cadet 2542 is a better mower. Cub's shaft drive is smooth. Also, the 2542 has a twin cylinder Kohler. I like how JD supposedly has Briggs and Stratton make "better" engines for the JD's. Yeah right. Briggs is getting cheap. I recently took apart a Briggs small engine and you'll never guess what I found.....A cam shaft made of plastic with steel lifters. Yes, it was made out of plastic. I seriously could not believe it. I will never by a Briggs again even if the JD Sales guy from the midwest says it's good.

This does sound like JD fan club site.

cubfannomore OK, I can't bite my tongue any longer. I bought a property just under 3 acres and it was time to buy a Mower to take care of the property. I chose the SLT 1554 (2005 model) Approx 100 hours total time. If you asked me a week ago, I would have sung praises on my Cub. My cub has been well maintained in a climate controlled building since new. So what is the problem you ask? FIRE !!!! My cub has burnt completely up. Yep, after approx one hour operation flawlessly, it died like it ran out of gas. then within a minute was engulfed in flames. Total loss. Called Cub and their response was sorry, but you need to file claim on your insurance policy, and we will take care of your deductable.
what kind of crap is that? I have found that Cubs warrenty is worthless. I am not sure about Deere because I have not owned one, but I have come to a few conclusions.
1 Beware of buying a Cub.
2 Next purchase will be from an independent Dealer not a chain. (LOWES personel laughed at the pictures of my burnt Cub)
3 "Nothing burns like a Cub"

jake DO NOT! I REPEAT DO NOT! BUY JD. I purchesed a JD X300 Last month and already a repair man has been out to level the deck twice and been in the shop once. The grass flow sucks. The only thing I like about the JD is that it turns easy. I mow a mans lawn down the road and he has a Cub 1500s and the bigger one and it RUNS. If JD would return my mower I would go buy me a cub.
Drew Our town only has (had) a Cub dealer and John Deere.

The Cub dealer shut down recently, leaving some made people who bought them there.

Everyone has to realize that you can get a LEMON from ANY BRAND.

That being said, in all honesty, I hear more horror stories with Cubs breaking down than I do about Deere's. It's not even close, storywise around here, imo. In fact, I know a couple people who have new cubs they're very annoyed with and are going to trade in. (but out of town and not for a Deere or a Cub.)

It boils down to what dealer is going to do better by you. And what you prefer, and what you can afford.

I know one person with a Lawnboy...or whatever...all i know is that things sounds VERY TINNY when it runs...LOL...i can pick that one out by its sounds whenever i just hear it! LOL

Drew * the above post should say..."it left some people MAD"....(not "made"...lol....)..int eh second line.
Blanston I went with the Cub GT 1554. It has bigger wheels and rides higher which will let you get the deck up if mowing around uneven terrain. Has a bigger more powerful motor. I have a hilly lot to mow and the old rider is getting tired. We'll have to see how the belts hold up on the new Cub Cadet. I compared the Cub with the JD it was $200 more but looked better built. More substantial. Metal pulley covers you could step not plastic or tin. The deck looks heavier with more character lines that gives greater stiffness. That should relate to more toughness and durability. Take a look!
KUDSun i have had a John Deere LT 155 for over a year now and it has been a great mower. However, my .5 acre yrd is not the mightiest of tests. However I have been mowing grass for over 15 yrs and this mower does seem to make it look good. The tie rod ends feel worn every now and then the starter has a tendency to get 'stuck', one battery has had to be replaced, and the deck has had a few problems i am not even going to get into. However as a 'gift' this mower has been pretty good and it doesn't bunch up the blades like my grandfathers CC!
willie I just bought a new JD X300 with the kawaski. It runs quiet the lawn look great when I am done.
Owen a Mtd for 9 years got tired of tighting bolts and filling it up with oil be for I could mow MTD owns Cub I did not want to buy any more of there JUNK!!!!!

Cadet Man Cub Cadets are far more superior than John Deere. Well, the older internationals anyway. The tractors today will break more and last maybe 5 years. The older tractors last over 40 years. I have 4 international cub cadets and not one of them has had a problem. Today's tractors are so tinny, one wrong move and you can break everything!
eric I need to choose between a cc2544 or a jdx320 for a future purchase. any comments on either would be most appreciated.
drew I'd go with this JD, if it were me, without hesitation...but asking that question is just gonna get you a ton of very different answers, if you read these other posts here...you'd know that everyone is either a big fan of John Deere or of Cub...kinda like Coke vs. Pepsi. Which is fine, everyone has their opinion.

Which one do YOU like better??

What are you going to use it for?

What's the size of your lawn??

Which dealer is more helpful for repairs or to work with, or been around longest in your area??
(both brands DO break)

These are questions you need to ask yourself.

Around my parts, i jsut know more people unhappy with their cubs than Deere...but that's just around here. Lemons can come in any flavor tho.

Deerdragger Hi all, still own dads 1974 JD214. Cuts and performs like a dream, just to small for our new property. Starting shopping for a new one, tractor that is, stay faithful to your colors.(green& yellow). GT1554 is what I bought, BIGGIEST mistake of my life!! Not only did my freinds JD140 have more power, it gave a better cut. 2.6 hours of run time on my "new" CC GT1554 and I was headed back to the boxstore(HD) I bought it from. Oh, did I forget to mention it was because the steering let go?!! New JD320 on the way!! Proud Americans stay true to their colors, so too should, JOHN DEERE owners and those that dream of them!!!!
buckwheat ..... and if we were color blind -- the answer between JD and CC would be....

now seriously -- lets talk HP, ability -- real stuff....

Jeffro I`ve been a deere owner all of my life 110, 112, f510 and recently ordered a 2007 cub cadet 2544 i chose the 2000 series because i liked the shaft drive feature and the kohler cast iron command v twin. all the deere`s these days seem to be running the briggs engines besides the higher end models with the kawasaki which my 20+ year old f510 has it`s been one heck of a tractor for me. i was just ready to try something different and there aren`t too many shaft drive residential lawn tractors out there. deere or cub cadet really isn`t a big deal to me as long as it`s reliable and mows the acreage well.
cubfannomore Some have asked to see a picture of my Cub. Cub has made no effort to even look at this to determine cause. They do not care. Their warrenty is no good. I have created a website (it is in it's infancy to share and collect information on people who have simular experiences. The website is http://nothingburnslikeacub.com

Matt Had my 320 delivered on Friday, We had a lot of rain and unable to mow the back 2 acres. So it was about 18" high. The JD x320 took care of it with no problem. The guy across the street has 1.5 acres and hired a mowing service to do his. Mower service used a zero-turn JD, cause his new Cub couldn't get it done.thxs.
wt I bought a Cub Cadet LT 1042 for the 2005 mowing year from Lowe's. PTO clutch has gone out at the start of the 2007 season. Also, all sorts of front end wheel and steering issues. Fuel line leak. Unreliable, and an example of how our domestic manufacturers are turning out shoddy merchandise. This is the first and last Cub Cadet I'll ever own. Reputation does not match reliability. Junk
Doug I'm thinking about buying a year-old JD X300 with the 42" dedicated mulch deck... but I'm afraid I may regret not having the flexibility to convert to bagging or side-discharge when cutting somewhat taller grass. Honestly, I think I'll want to mulch almost all the time... but mulching push mowers I've used don't seem to do as well in taller grass. I'm picturing myself mowing at 1 mph because I let the grass get a bit too long... can anyone tell me if this fear is warranted or not? Thanks!
Barry I purchased a Cub cadet 2186 a 2004. It now has 90 hours on it. I split the use between cutting grass on 1 and towing a vinyard spray rig. So far the only problem has been a broken $7.25 brake spring. When I purchased, both the reviews and the test drives indicated that the CC was a better machine. I still agree.
Other advice: It is suggested that purchasers read the maintenance manual carefully and do maintenance perschedule. My previous Coleman had an expensive mower deck repair becuase it was not lubericated per schedule. 07/23/2007

Dave Matthews I'm doing a lot of research, and am considering the JD X304 model. I would like to hear positive or negative comments from anyone who already has one, as well as the price you paid for it.
Randy I bought a John Deere x320 in late June, moving up from a 10 year old Craftsman 12 horsepower mower. My dealer knocked off about $300 for a "factory sale." So far, I am a happy camper. What a great machine! It is smooth, quiet, powerful, comfortable, and easy to use. The cut is very even, and my lawn looks great. It cut my mowing time in half.

The Kawasaki two cylinder engine is great. My Deere cuts tall grass without noticing. I can’t imagine what it would take to slow it down.

Deere added some little touches to please the customer. My mower was delivered with a full tank of gas, and all adjustments were made. They included a DVD with a 10 minute movie on safety. Also, I got a coupon form a free “Owners Edition John Deere hat.” What more could you want? Chalk up one for the green and gold – 100% satisified!

Randy Oops - make that green and YELLOW!
Ray I have an acre (less house and shop) to mow. I'm totally torn on which riding mower to buy. I an looking at the JDLA130 or the Cub Cadet LT1050. I need pro and cons from experienced owners/users. Thanks
Joel I'm in the same boat as the rest of you -- I'm looking to find a replacement for my JD 1992 LX-172. This has been the best machine I've opereated in my life. It has a 14 hp Kawasaki and has had ZERO problems. I love the machine, but it's not big enough. It takes me over 3 hours to mow 1.5 acres. I'm in a toss up right now between the Cub LT-1046 that has the 23 hp v-twin Kohler engine and any JD that is close to that in HP output for a decent price. I can get the Cub for a TON less than any JD..... I'd love to get a Deere, but can't afford it. Oh yea, did I mention that my Dad is a salesman for the local J.D. dealer?? So from what I've heard, what it really comes down to (in comparison between Deere and Cub) is not the mower itselft, but between the manufacturer of the engine -- Kohler or Kaw. I'll have to say that I like the Kaw, just can't afford it....
thanks.

Eaten Crabs This information has been very interesting to read. I just agreed to buy a slightly used 2002 Cub Cadet model 2166. It has a 16HP horizontal OHV Onan engine with 55 total hours and a 42 inch deck. The engine was sensitive to start and constantly needed to be choked when re-starting. It dieseled and back-fired when shutting down at idle. The gas was old and probably stale. Apparently, that was not the cause. The mower looks like new for a 2002. The mower was traded in for a larger unit. I have a 1 acre bumpy lot to move evey other week. After reading these posts, I decided to cancel the sale and look for a slightly used 300 series Deere. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks!!!
Joel I think you're probably making a good decision -- although you're looking to spend more $$ by doing this (I suppose you figured that). Are you looking at the slightly older 300 series (335, 345, etc...) or the new ones (x304, x320.... etc)? My dad has a 2004 335 with a 20 hp Kawasaki v-twin and it's an awesome machine, but It runs around $4-5k new. (the new 500 series is what used to be the 335, 345 series, and the new 300 series used to be the 200 series. It's confusing).
thanks....
(If you get that Deere, let me know how much you paid for it - I'm curious what a good one of that size runs).

mike alford Thanks to everyone! I have been in limbo on Cub vs Deere. My X320 will be here Wednesday. I have 2 acres to mow. I will provide feedback as I log hours on her. This is a great forum. Cheers...M
Joel Mike --
Let me know how that 320 mows. I'm curious to see how the new Deeres runs. I'm looking into an LX279 right now (17 hp V-twin with the 48C deck)
....thanks!

Glenn I can't afford a top line anything but found a 1992 cub (1200 I think - 12HP 38") that is unbelieveably cared for. No rust anywhere, finish is like new (honestly). This thing was garage kept and never wet, always meticulously cleaned...had to be. I don't know these Cub mowers (coming from a Murray) but wanted to know if the year (1992) makes this one a better manufactured models in the Cub line. btw, the price on this was $500...no apples to apples JD was available for anything close.
Joel Glenn,
Funny you should ask.... I just sold my J.D. LX172 mower this morning. I was only asking $575 for it. It is a 1992 model, and has a 38" deck with a 14hp Kawasaki engine. If you're wanting to look into other options, I know that you can find these at dealers or online for anywhere from $500 to $1000 depending on the condition. I owned mine since it was new and had ZERO problems with it. I think J.D.'s LX line from the 90's is one of the most reliable series of mowers built in that time. If you want a good mower around that size, I'd check them out.
Thanks -- Joel

Glenn P. Prejean I've been a consumer of Deere Products all my life. I've had the GT 116, LX188, GT245, JD 4310 with 5 ft. Shreder, 32 HorsePower and today I bought the X 740 Model with the 48 inch cut. All my equipment still runs in perfect condition. You get what you pay for. You must take care of your equipment like it is the last piece you will ever own . Like I said, all equipment I have is Deere Vintage and Brand New. All sleep in a 40X50 foot covered , insulated Metal building by S and S Steel erectors. Today , myself and two sons keep our homesteads up on a weekly basis, which consist of about 20 acres of manacured lawns. I'm retired from the US Army but the estate is in the family for about 75 years. We depend on John Deere to help keep up busy. We appreciate our Dealers who help keep us happy and repaired on time. Don Hollier and Son in Opelousas Louisiana are truly our Dealer and close Friends. I salute John Deere for their Superior Products.

Sincerely Glenn Prejean, USA M/S Retired

Glenn I have a stupid question. I bought a Cub 1220 Hydro, never had a hydrostatic transmission. What is a PTO? "Front PTO"? Hydro dump valve (engage-disengage)? Getting to use it for the first time.

mike alford One month in on my Deere and I could not be happier. I am establishing a new yard and am dealing with a lot of crabgrass.Got a mulch kit installed. First 2 cuts I waited until grass was 8-10 inches high (in spots cause its all spots right now!). Was disappointed in the leave behind and had to cut 2-3 times. Called dealer and they picked it up next am, checked it out and called me up to come over and work with them on understanding how mower would cut with/without mulch kit. They cut some established grass and it cut great. They explained that with mulching I need to be cutting every 4-5 days (approx 2 inches or so of cut grass). I get it now. They spent time with me and did not charge me a dime. My decision between Cup and Deere was more weighted toward support that most I have read here. Looking forward to posting more once the Fall fills my spots in!
Carlton Patrick I would like to hear what you have to say about my situation... I just bought a LA130 and for cut, ride, comfort and all the features, I just could not be happier. However I have a fairly steep hill and this thing just does not seem to want to pull it. If it were not for this hill this mower would seem perfect in every way. I have never had this problem with anything before (1982 Craftsman 10 HP rear engine 30" mower pulls it without hesitation). I am debating about asking my dealer to check it out, trade it or if maybe I made a bad decision for my particular yard. The LA130 is nice as all get out, it just seems a mower of that apparent quality and power should be able to pull my hill. I have no idea how to tell what "grade" the hill is either if anyone can help me communicate that tidbit of information. I can mow pretty much all of the hill by traversing it, but it really is not all that wide. Down by the road is a short drop that is a little uncomfortable to cut across. I would much rather ride down the hill and then ride back up it. I am thinking of taking the John Deere Promise route out and going for something different in the same price category. Sorry for the bad grammar, my keyboard is acting up. Thanks for any advice or help.
Steve Carlton. I had the same issue when I moved to my new house with VERY steep hills. I had to replace the belt twice in 6 months because it keept slipping and burning. So, I got rid of my JD and bought a Cub Cadet 2542 with the shaft drive and this thing runs up my steep hills without pause. I am amazed at the difference between belt driven tractors and shaft driven. There IS NO comparison. I will never own a belt driven tractor again.
Carlton Steve, I hear ya. The LA130 is a LOT less expensive than the CC 2542 though. My dad has a CC Zero Turn mower that he loves. I just don't have the monkey to make up the difference there.

BTW, my JD dealer in Scottsboro, AL is absolutely awesome. I am 95% sure I will be sticking with my JD purchase and will not return the unit. I may still make another trip with it out to Scottsboro to have them double check everything, but I almost think it is unnecessary.

Steve I got mine as a 6 month old unit with 20 hours on it for $2199. Tell you local CC dealer to call you if they get a trade in and you can get a steal...
Joe I have a X520 and have had nothing but problems! I will never own another JD tractor. The carb is junk, the front wheel fell off at 8 hours. It has been in the shop 2 times for Carb issues... Just stops running.
Carlton I've gone through my 2 acres a few times now and I am completely happy with the LA130. It took some getting used to though and once I figured out how to drive it up the hill, things started looking a lot better. It's the best mower I have ever had. No wheels fell off and it keeps running.
Fred Tedescucci Carlton: "Grade" is a way of expressing the "stepness" of a hill in "percent" rather than "degrees".... An example: If a hill slopes downward (or upward) at about a 45 degree angle, then the "grade" of that hill is said to be 50%. If it slopes downward (or upward) at a 30 degree angle, then the "grade" can be expressed as 33 1/3%. If - for whatever reason - you need to be able to express the grade of a particular hill accurately, then you will certainly find yourself using bubble protractors, levels, long boards, and the like. Hope this helps... Fred
mower doc cub cadet wins hands down,we all know that cubs are mtd yard machines now,and some john deeres are made at a ex murray plant,but if you want a good one of either,buy one that is 10 or 15 years old they are stouter,and just built better,not really mass produced,its just my opinion,but ill take my cub 1330,any day.
john i have read all the comments about the electric pto on the cub mowers,we have fixed 3 of them at our mower shop by using a test light on the clutch then,seperate the hot and ground,cut the ground from the clutch and bolt the negative to the frame[from the clutch],it worked all three times no problems from any of the three in 2 years,maybe this will help someone
- john -

hvsnaxezg begwurn wybndc birey fims zhruv lcno chxfopl bkcmla
BIG BECK I have a cc 1046 2007, there is no comparison to
this mower. JD is over price and folks are paying to much money for the jd traditon.

shawn Well, after reading this thread, I will say, I own 2 Cub Cadets now and am looking at buying a new mower. I have a 1978 model 1650 and a 1989 model 1810. I have looked at HD and Lowes and at my local JD and Cub dealers. The mowers at HD and Lowes are not really comparible to what the dealer has on their floor. Of couse, 20 years ago, when the ones I have were built, CC and JD were not trying to compete price wise with what they are now. I can tell you that 20 years ago, you could not go to any JD or CC dealer and buy a 16-20HP, 44"+ mower for under $3000. I can also tell you that nothing at HD nor Lowes campares to either of my older mowers. I have been thinking that HD has the CC 1050 for $1999. That's 23 HP 50" deck. I thougt, even if it is lighter and not made as heavy as my older ones, a new mower for under $2000, sounds like a pretty good deal. After reading this thread, sounds like the CC 10xx series has had some issues. I have really thought highly of CC for the quality from the 2 I own. I think I will save my pennies and make due 1 more year and see what my budget can get me into then, from a dealer...
Bill This is my first stab at garden tractor posts. I was just trying to find a set of heavy duty rear wheels for my cub GT2521. While both the 2500 and 3000 seris tractors use the same four bolt pattern wheels, CC has recently deleted the welded reinforcement plates between the mounting holes resulting in premature wheel failure in tractors used to mow on slopes.

As for who makes a better tractor? After reading 50+ postings, I can only say YEP! you need to spend at least$4000 dollars these days to get a unit that is really as rugged as it looks, otherwise the color to the paint doesn't matter

I'm on my second GT2521. It's not the finest piece of mowing equipment. However, I couldn't beat the deal, and despite a number of "nuisance failures" I've been able to keep total cost of ownership reasonable doing all my maintenance and minor repairs.

I have a 48inch deck coupled to a "Cyclone Rake" leaf mulcher/vacuum to mow and clean three hilly acres. I would have had to spend thousands of dollars more to buy a JD with the power and low a CG to handle the side slope mowing I do.

JS Know anything about these tractors, I found a used 2002 GB 360 I am interested in buying.
ROBIN JUST SOLD MY 1978 JOHN DEERE 210 AND WILL BE REPLACING IT WITH A JOHN DEERE X300. SEEMS LIKE A NO BRAINER TO ME!
mike how much weight including the trailor itself, can the cub 1042 haul? just need to know if it can haul a little dirt up and down hills
Hillman I have a 3/4 acre lot that is a ravine setting. The majority of the cut will be done on 15-20 degree slope. What qualities should I look for in a Cub or Deere?
John in Chicago This is more of a John Deer fan site than an objective look at Cub Cadet vs. Deere. As a Cub Cadet owner, I’ve got to add my two cents for the sake of balance.
I have owned two garden tractors in my life, a 1966 Cub Cadet 123 that I bought in 1991, and a 2008 CC 2542 that I bought a few weeks ago. The ’66 CC 123 was in continuous use for 42 years (17 years by me), it was never restored, only maintained and fixed when it needed it. It ran like a new one when I traded it in this spring. Everything they say about old Cub Cadets lasting forever is true.
I traded in the old 123 because they’ve made a few design improvements in the last 42 years. The new tractor is much nicer to drive, smoother, safer and quieter. Changing implements is also a lot easier.
My new 2542 is the same basic design as the old 123. If you take all the plastic and safety crap off the 2542, there’s just not a lot of difference between the two tractors. The new one has a better engine and hydro unit, the old one may have a more robust differential (but it was overkill from the get go, borrowed from a International Harvester Farmall tractor). I have never heard of a differential failure problem with new Cub Cadets, so I assume that the new cast iron cased unit is adequate.
I would bet that a few of the contemporary shaft drive Cub Cadets will still be running 42 years from now (2050!!), and I am sure that the survivors will have had a lot of their plastic and electric components removed or replaced over the years.
Cub Cadets are the brick shithouse of garden tractors, nothing else comes close.

Dave John Deere X360 has the K58H Tuff Torq with 217
Ft Lbs of torque,The X540 has the K72A Tuff Torq with 405 Ft Lbs of torque just for the record.
Snowblowing and snow plowing fine for the K58H,
Ground engaging equipment the K72A would be much better suited for the task !!!

Jimmy I got the X300 a year ago and my neighbor a new cub...not sure what model.

Well, mine not been in the shop even once a year later, his HAS, and worse yet, his local Cub dealer closed during this past winter for good, so now he is stuck driving it 45 minutes to the next nearest one. (the local one would pick it up) Sad to say, he is not too happy about going with that cub let me tell you!

Tim Porter just bought the cc LT 1042 after reading this site I hope its honestly a john deere site promo.If not I just got took.By the way it was bought at a very rep. dealer whos been in business for over 20+ yrs. he recommended this mower to me.
kid well since John Deere is closing all the mom and pop dealers cause they only want companies that sell 10 million or more Deers to be in business they only place to0 get a jd fixed near me will be 4 hours away and that's highway drving

Bill Our small local mom and pop John Deere dealer is still open. So, let's not start rumors.

Truth is, I prefer JD and always have. But you can get good tractors with any brand i suppose. Truth is you can get lemons with either brand. Would I buy a Cub? No. Do they make some good tractors? I suppose.

Baggins Lots of PTO, clutch problems with the Cubs that I've seen in this area and talked with neighbors and friends. Lots of people trying out Cubs tho, so they are getting bought a lot. I like Deere a lot better, but many of them are more expensive. I like their ease of use, trannys, set ups, and am just used to using them.

RedNeckTod Funny I read thur most of this and NO ONE mentioned that the JD X300 series has a 4 YEAR WARRANTY, best I can find and I wanted a zero turn too but with just 1.5ac I cant justify the $4-5k
Tony I own a 1996 cub 1864 it has over 1000 hrs on it
and runs like a dream wether I blow snow with
the cc front mount blower or cut grass.
the only repair I have done is replacing the
pto clutch this year. I would recommend a cc
any day super machine!

matt Picked up a new x 320 tuesday. Seems like a great mower. Way better than the craftsman I had. In laws have a JD about a 93 model stx38 still runs and mows pretty good. Deck is a little beat up but they mow with the thing on the ground as low as it will go. Thats why I bought a JD. Love the 320 turns sharp, quiet, smooth running, just a joy to drive.
jeff Are you kidding.

R I have a LX188 and its the greatest John Deere ever. I love it. I'M A JOHN DEERE DRIVER FOREVER.

R I have a LX188 and its the greatest John Deere ever. I love it. I'M A JOHN DEERE DRIVER FOREVER.

Ozzy Well guys thks for all the info .. I came on here searching for info and I found it ... I too am comparing CC and JD ... I think my mind is made up and Ill go with the JD x300 .. I might even take a look at the 304 and 320 as well ... Who knows !!!

Thks Again ... Ozzy

Dave I have a John Deere STX38 - black deck. I bought it new back in 1995, and it has been a piece of junk! I bought this based on a reputation, that has surely fallen short in my experience! I have cared for this tracker very well and received regualr maintenance - JUNK .. A Honda it is NOT!
For example:
1) The mower deck has always popped off of the level adjusmtne levers, scalping my lawn - and by the way it didn't even come with anti-scalp wheels. - VERY POOR DESIGN!
2) The spindle weld points failed on each spindle - 2 times!
3) The front axle bearing failed
4) The deck adjustment mechanism provides too low of settings.
5)the ground attachement bolt loosens easily - preventing the engine to start...

on and on - JUNK!

Simplicity or Gravely next time, for sure!
5)

Larry from Kansas I have a Cub Cadet 2135 with a 38" deck that is around 14 years old. I bought it new, and it has never given me any real problems. It has about 900 hours on it at this time. I also have a 2166 with a 42" deck that I bought new about 8 years ago for most of my mowing so I could use the older 2135 for mowing some very rocky nature trails and ditches. The 2166 has given me a number of problems ranging from rough running to needing to replace deck pulleys three times. Also, the 2166 deck has been hard to keep level for some reason. Both have Kohler engines. Except for the rough running and sometimes hard to start 2166 the engines have not given me any problems at all. The 2166 now has about 400 hours on it, and they have been rather easy hours compared to the 900 I have put on the 2135.

I have not had any problems with the PTO on either machine.

I am considering getting a new GT 2542 since I like the shaft drive and prefer only a 42" deck and a heavier mower. I have read the comments so far about this mower. Anything new from anyone would be appreciated.

Al I just purchased an X300 to replace my 1980 JD 111. The rear differential just gave up. This tractor was used hard and all I ever did was change the oil, clean the air filter, and sharpen/replace the blades. The motor still runs great! I've done some comparison shopping between Cub & JD and the JD is a sturdier unit. If you look at the spec sheets of the 2, the JD is actually heavier which tells me heavier duty components. I'm expecting the X300 to perform well.

Bobby First time yard owner in Raleigh, NC (1.5 acres which slopes down gradually the equivalant of about 2 stories from one end of the yard to the other) and need to purchase a riding mower. Yard has about 10 trees, a kidney shaped flower bed to mow around and woods on 3 sides of property. I anticipate lots of leaves, tree debris as well as some major yard TLC (more weeds then grass). Everything I have read tells me to get at least a 21hp engine except for the JD website that says (in the x300 series) a 17-hp V-twin is what is needed for the job. Why does JD tell me I need significantly less in HP then everyone else?

The x304 seems to be the one I am most interested in but the 42" cutting area seems to be smaller then desired. Currently borrowing a 20 y/o 14.5hp 42" Craftsman and it takes forever. Any input?

With the additional new home BS purchases we need to make, the x300 series is priced way out of our tax bracket. However, purchasing one good mower to get me through the next decade seems to make more sense then buying two. Question here is...is this really a that good of a mower that will stand the test of time or is everyone just making assumptions off of pruducts built back in JD's glory days?

Any input you can provide is appreciated.

BTW The only consistant thing I have read about the CC mowers is that their engines are good but everything else is sub par. Considering their strongest asset is not actually built by them...the cencus seems to be, they're shooting blanks.

This whole process has been as frustrating a buying my wife's engagement ring.

Bobby First time yard owner in Raleigh, NC (1.5 acres which slopes down gradually the equivalant of about 2 stories from one end of the yard to the other) and need to purchase a riding mower. Yard has about 10 trees, a kidney shaped flower bed to mow around and woods on 3 sides of property. I anticipate lots of leaves, tree debris as well as some major yard TLC (more weeds then grass). Everything I have read tells me to get at least a 21hp engine except for the JD website that says (in the x300 series) a 17-hp V-twin is what is needed for the job. Why does JD tell me I need significantly less in HP then everyone else?

The x304 seems to be the one I am most interested in but the 42" cutting area seems to be smaller then desired. Currently borrowing a 20 y/o 14.5hp 42" Craftsman and it takes forever. Any input?

With the additional new home BS purchases we need to make, the x300 series is priced way out of our tax bracket. However, purchasing one good mower to get me through the next decade seems to make more sense then buying two. Question here is...is this really a that good of a mower that will stand the test of time or is everyone just making assumptions off of pruducts built back in JD's glory days?

Any input you can provide is appreciated.

BTW The only consistant thing I have read about the CC mowers is that their engines are good but everything else is sub par. Considering their strongest asset is not actually built by them...the cencus seems to be, they're shooting blanks.

This whole process has been as frustrating a buying my wife's engagement ring.

Gary Post 2008, I'm really looking for a good mower. I've been comparing the JD X320 and the CC SLT1554. Tit-for-Tat they would seem to be equivalant in most area's but price. CC is $1200 cheaper. My problem is that if I don't get some unbiased suggestions I'm afraid that I will wind up making a $1200 dollar mistake.

Does anyone have any good advise?

Kim D hi my mom is thinking about getting a john deere la125. her lawn isn't real big but she doesn't want to push a mower anymore and she is paying a lawn company $200 a month to cut her lawn. She figuered she might as well get a riding lawn mower and do it herself. she can get a JD LA125 for $800. Does anyone recommend this as a good buy or is there a compareable brand?
Thanks
Kim

G. M. How has everyone fixed their problem? Have they come out with a clutch to replace the bad ones? My father has a 2005 and the local dealer will not help him. They don't seem to know how to fix it and don't really seem to care (unless my father wants to keep shelling out cash). The mower deck will work for awhile after being repaired, then quite again. Do you believe this is all from a faulty clutch? The dealer called Cub Cadet and they were told to run a different ground wire. (This did not help).
Mac I have read the posts and agree that much depends on your needs and your dealer. I think that if you have good support/service, you can keep virtually anything running ( I had a 25 hp Husky for the better part of 7 years that worked fine... as long as it went to the shop on a quarterly basis).

As a current owner of an X520 JD, I can say that after 32 hours of snowblowing during our Iowa Winter and 13 hours of lawn mowing - i have never been on a better machine. The X520 is a BEAST with the snowblower and 54 in deck attachments.

I read an earlier post claiming the X520 was/is a failure... this just isn't the case - this is likely a dealer issue with respect to machine assembly.

I am lucky in that I live in Iowa and purchased from the largest dealer in the country... their service has been impeccable.

In any case, CC is a great tractor (neighbor runs one on 2+ acres) but it simply can't compare with the JD 300/500/700 series in terms of performance and reliability... that stats just don't support it.

Nothing runs like a Deere, baby!

timmy I have a 1988 wheelhorse 8hp B&S riding mower that i use to cut my 1 to 2 acres of lawn. The mower cuts the lawn very well, unfortunately the deck is rusting and i think the mower may be due for retirement.....

Well, I would like to get a reliable heavy duty tractor to replace it. The Cub Cadet GT 2542 and the John Deere X300 riding mower are my two choices.....

Does anyone know where each of these two mowers are manufactored?? Are they actually made in the USA??

I know the John Deere has a Kawasaki engine, but that doesn't really bother me too much. I just would like to know where these two riding mowers (CC and JD) are assembled.....

Thanks!!

Pa I got a JD X300 2 years ago when they first came out! It is a great tractor.

Only problem I've had is a broken belt, rather early, but they covered it and came out and replaced it and everything!

It is a really nice tractor for my couple acres. Love being on it! My Mrs enjoys hooking up the cart and driving it also. Easy to run and use, always starts, nice machine!

USN Retired rich
Re: Cub Cadet vs. John Deere

I have a jd stx38 that i use as a grunt machine on my 15 acers. Mostly woods except for the 3 acers that i mow. Since the mower deck is off the stx38 for going thru the woods i mounted a 4" dia front bumper using the front mower mounts and 4 bolts in angle iron welded to the round bumper bolted to the frame above the exhaust. With this setup i can run right over small trees 1 1/2" dia with out a problem. But as for cutting the grass my x324 is the machine i've used for over 56 hours of doing what i bought it for cutting grass. And since i drive aa big truck out for 10 to 14 days at a time the grass really needs cutting on my return. The x324 dose the job and if it last as long as the stx 38 i'll never have to buy another and i'm just 52.

USN Retirer Rich the hood on my stx 38 is from my neibors junk dynamark since the stx 38 hood was just junk but every thing else on the machine seems ok. i'm on the wrong cpu my x324 picture is on the other.
pat paytas I have a cub cadet LT1050, which I bought in 2006 from Lowes. I have had nothing but problems. The first couple weeks the PTO went out. Next problem I had was a oil leak, replaced a gasket. I will be picking up the cub tonight with another oil leak, this time an O ring. I think it has a terrible cut, stiff to turn, my left front tire is always going flat. The repair shop can't see anything wrong with the tire. I am now looking at the John Deere select series 300 to purchase. I am done with this Cub Cadet.
Matt B Im returing my cadet i1042 tomorrow and going w/my gut from day one w/a deere. Debating on if i gp w/the x304 over th 300...? It's not a zero turn so is it rly worth the extra dough over the 300? Any help here would be great Im going to the dealer in the morning lol
Doug I had a 1968 Jacobsen and a 1988 CC 17hp, both with Kohler and were great tractors. When they got old they still worked and I sold both at decent proces. I now have a 2008 CC LT1045. 46" deck to mow 2.5 acres and the dozer blade (with wheel weights and chains) for plowing snow in winter on my 1000' long driveway. This has been another great Lawn Tractor that has given me zero problems and really gets the job done. For another $300 I could have purchased a JD with a 42" deck with 2 gauge wheels (vs 4 on my CC, two with grease fittings) a manual PTO (vs electric on my CC) a B&S engine (vs the Kohler on my CC) free mulching package on CC, smaller fuel tank on JD, no cruise control on JD, and the list goes on. Switching from mower deck to snow blade couldn't be easier. Love my Cub Cadet LT1045. Would buy another in a heartbeat.
Brent We bought a 2007 Cub Cadet SLT 1550 model...got it at a discounted price cause they were bringing in the 2008 models...any way..when we first got it..no problems...now the belt keeps coming off..noticed the deck adjustment bar for the front of the deck was missing...when mowing in reverse...you don't have to push the reverse button any more...the just leave it on normal..just go backwards and the blades keep going...it use to shut the blades off..WTF? Like I said earlier...the belt keeps popping off...usually happens about 2 or 3 times a month..and its a brand new belt. You turn on the PTO and it squeals like a pig!! I'm not happy with it. A WASTE of $$$$!!!
Doug Brent, Likely a switch has failed. Most people prefer not having to pressthe magic button for reverse mowing. Re: Belts coming off. Common issue. Usually easy to fix yourself. Mower deck belt: make sure all pulleys align (are in same plane), are pulley bolts tight? Do idler pulley brackets move freely(greased brackets)? Adding more spring tension to idler pulley arms has cured problem for many. If problem is hydro drive belt coming off then advice is the same. Assure idler pulleys move freely and you may need to add spring tension. You can buy suitable springs at a good hdwr store. Loose belts = PTO squeal. A little work and you could be very happy with your tractor.
Doug I now have 50+ troouble free hours on my CC LT1045.

Item Cub Cadet LT1045 John Deere LA125
---- ---------------- ----------------

Cost(1) $1,650 $1,800
Engine Kohler 597 cc 1-cyl Briggs&Strat 540 cc 1-cyl
Charging 15 amp 9 amp
Volt Meter Yes No
Rear Wheels 10" 8"
PTO Engage electric switch(2) manual lever
Fuel Fill large fender mount small under seat(3)
Steering Tie-rods threaded adjustable ends non-adjustable
Mower Deck 46" 3-blade(4) 42" 2-blade
gauge wheels 4, 2 with grease nipples 2, no grease nipples
Steering Wheel large diam, soft rubber small diam, hard rubber
Warranty 3 years 2 years
frame + front-axle 5 years 2 years
Front Bumper Yes No

Notes:
- information compiled for 2008 models on Sept.18, 2008
(1) Cost based on advertised costs at CC and JD websites and at Home Depot.
(2) Problems with early CC electric PTO clutch have been resolved.
(3) Reports are that under-seat location is hard to reach and requires funnel
to avoid spillage.
(4) Early problems with deck belt have been resolved.
(5) Early problems with hydro drive belt have been resolved.

deb Hello there - I bought a LT1018 Cub with B&S motor in oct of 2004 from lowes with 4yr extended warrenty. It has less than 80hrs of run time to date and has been in for repairs to motor 8 times. Everything from rebuilt carb to valve adjustments to sticking valves to replace valves all ending with a blown motor twice. every problem I had started with backfiring. cub cadet teck support told me backfiring was normal. Go figure. I think because Im a girl they think Im stupid. Well this last blown motor a few weeks back I said thats it and got my purchase price refunded through the lemon clause in my extended warrenty and got to keep my mower. Im thinking about just dropping a new bigger like B&S I think it was command series and I think it was 26HP,the briggs commercial motor in it and pocket the x-tra $1000.00 from my refund. now after reading all yous had to say about pto and trany problems with the CC 1000 series Im wondering if that such a good idea. what do you think? It seemed like everything was strong on it just motor problems. Would be grateful for any thoughts. Thanks!!!
deb Im back I also wanted to add I totally understand that the mowers being sold at lowes and home depo and such are a scale down from the ones sold at the dealers and if I decide to buy a new mower Im not sure what Ill do because I know if I buy from the home stores the customer is pretty much always right. I may have to work my way up the ladder but I will get satifaction. On other disscusion sites Ive heard horror stories of mowers bought at dealers that had problems and dealer shops claimed the breakdowns were from the owner doing something wrong and they were stuck with a broked down mower. Me being a girl I have ran into mecanical shops that think because of that they can tell me what ever they want. Little do they know I know mecanics. I may not know how to spell but I do know that. Anyways any thoughts on this cause I just dont know what to do. new motor, new mower, dealer or box store? and please dont say if I buy from a dealer its better made and wont break down. Thats to far of a stretch plus Nothing made anymore is built to last. Brings me to another option buy a rebuilt old mower or buy an old one and have it rebuilt? Thanks for listening guys. Waiting for any thoughts you may have.
Doug Deb, Contact these guys:
http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/
800-321-6725
Tell them what you have and get their opinion. They have some great prices on new engines for repowering and know exactly what engine will fit in your tractor, is best for you, etc. Good Luck.

-Doug

deb Thanks Doug I will check out there prices and see what they have to say. I have also been talking to a couple of sellers on ebay who will do any modifications muffler wiring harness and such for any motor that will bolt up and im really leaning towards a briggs vanguard big block, think it was 26HP, don't have my notes in front of me at the moment but it was alot more power than the motor it came with. From what I can find the vanguard is one of the best motors briggs makes and it has a low oil shut off. althought I believe you should always ck the oil before every start I don't see why all motors dont have this feature whats better than to protect that motor from the one thing that destroys it. Any thoughts about the vanguard. Thanks.
Doug

Deb, I have no experience with B&S, just Kohler (all good). Your original B&S should have lasted a lot longer than 4 years. I believe you are right that the B&S Vanguard is a good engine. You original B&S died youg. I see that NorthernTool.com sells a 23 hp B&S VG for $1400 without muffler. I don't know what your Ebay contacts are charging but $1400 seems like a lot. I bought a whole new tractor CC LT1045 for $1650 from Tractor Supply. I love it. 20hp Kohler, 46" mower deck. Very nicely equipped. Perfect performance so far (50 hours). You could buy a cheap replacement B&S for your LT1018 and sell it. Whatever. Lot's of options. Your decision.

-Doug

Dom I think i'll stick to my Bolens G14 (1969) and G10 (1971). They have heavier transmissions than most trucks today, and they are smaller than most of the tractors you guys are talking about. NOTHING RUNS LIKE A BOLENS
JD I am looking at buying a CC LT1042. My back yard is all hill so I want to be sure the mower I buy can stand up to the terrain. Anyone have a LT1042 and how did it withstand hilly terrain?
Doug JD, I have a LT1045 which is a 20hp Kohler 1-cyl. My yard is flat so I have no problems, but one guy with the same tractor says it needs more power on hilly terrain. You might not like the LT1042 on hills. Consider the 23hp Kohler 2-cyl LT1046. A little extra money perhaps well spent. If you get the 1045 or 1046, the 46" mower deck needs a couple of small tweaks. See http://www.compacttractorreview.com/review/Cub-Cadet/LT1045.aspx
Givens I've always owned John Deere and have been happy to stick with them. My Uncles all tried out some Cubs in the past couple years and left Deere. Well, all of them except one has now gone back to Deere after having troubles with PTO and belts that were a lot more than they ever had with Deers.
Jaded I am jaded, and let me just say that I would never buy a Cub, period. Just wouldn't. I have seen and heard too many horror stories involving Cubs. Sure you can get some juicy lemons with any brand. But John Deere is the way to go. Yellow and green baby!! Just my opinion. It is what it is!
Doug Yo, Jaded. Keep reading and you will find lots of horror stories about JDs as well. Keep in mind that pricing competition for lawn tractors under $2000 is fierce. If you want bullet-proof reliability you need to spend twice that. Some people report minor problems that are easily fixed such as throwing a deck belt as a "horror" when it is just a minor problem easily fixed. JDs throw belts too if you read everything. Not knocking JDs. They are just fine. So are Cubs. My Cubs have performed flawlessly. Not an opinion. A fact. The new Cubs $2K all have Kohler engines. The JDs have B&S. I prefer the Kohler.
Glenn Prejean This as close to a generator forum as I can find!!
Does any one know the pros or cons of the 8000 watt John Deere generator with the Subaru engine
vs the John Deere generator with the Honda engine.

Any help from someone would be greatly appreciated !!

Doug Glenn, I have an 8hp 3500 w Honda generator. EM3500SX. Have used it a lot over the last 11 years. I have run it non-stop for weeks at a time. Literally. It has never skipped a beat. I just keep the oil changed. The auto-idle feature is nice, so if nothing is asking for electricity it returns to idle. Conserves gasoline and lessens wear on the unit.

I have no experience with Subaru small engines. But based on my experience with Honda small four-strokes, all things being equal I would favor the Honda. I believe that Honda possesses probably the best and most reliable small gasoline engine technology on the planet.

Glenn Prejean Thanks Doug for the input. I think the parent Company Fugi, in Japan owns both Subaru and Honda through an aquasition in 93. That being said I'am sure there is some differences in the two engines. But looking at them in the flesh there appears to be none. I'm sure some one has the data on hand and will appear shortly.

Again thanks for the input.
Sincerely, Glenn

mike I have a cub cadet with only 24 hours on it and I have never been able to keep a belt on it I would never purchase a cub agin . I woulden have a cub cadet if it was given to me at this poing good luck
john looking at a cc1046 but I heard a new 2009 cc1046 is coming out or is out does anyone have any information.looking to buy my first riding tractor, by now I'm totally confussed between the JD 304 and the CC 1046 plus the hard to get information on the newer version of the CC1046. Need help.Anyone with any good information out there.
John Just found out the model # that I needed information on, which is the new CC LTX1046 anybody with infor on new Tractor please give it up Thanks John
Harvey I would not recommend you buying a cub cadet as I purchased a new 1024, it only has 24 hours and it breaks down nearly everytime I use it. It was a massive waste of money. The mulcher broke the second time I used the mower, then the belt comes off. then the nuts that hold the blades fell off. Today I used it again and it just froze up and I can't get it to go. So I may look at buying another brand cause I want a mower that will cut the grass when I start it not one that is always broken. Might look at the John Deere they seem to be better. I would never, never even consider purchasing a piece of junk from cub cadet.
Mark replaced my 20 plus year old JD 111 with a New John Deere X304 all wheel steering and I have put 10 hours on it this past summer, cuts in half the time [faster speed and quicker turns due to 4 wheel steering] and i still smile as i mow, pull, and push gravel, and snow...I looked at the big box store units and there is no comparison... check the shipping weight..
Frank I just purchased a CC LT 1050 because it was advertised to have a 25 hp Koiler engine. I noticed the engine has 23 on it as confirmed by the manual. I'm wondering if this model comes with either a 23 or 25?
Rex Looking at HD web site the entry line JD and CC are the same price. Both 42" but the CC has hydro and the JD does'nt. Kolher vs briggs The weight of the CC is more( built better) both companies have long and lasting reps.It would appear the CC is the best value.Also look at the wheels close on the CC they have 4 lug nuts on the rear.
MIke Thanks to all for an informed discussion. looking for advice... I am turning in my 1981 JD garden tractor. It has been awesome and has done its time! Can't afford a 500 series. I have a challenging acre, much of it a significant slope. I also pull mulch around in a cart. Looking at the 300 vs 320. The latter has a 5 more hp, bigger tires, upgraded transmission, 6" bigger deck and is 1,000 more. Any advice on whether this is necessary? Also read that some folks have had issues with this model leaving uneven lines when cutting on slopes. Feedback appreciated.
Judith I know someone who has a Cub Cadel 2008 Super LT 1550 with a Kohler Courage motor with a 50" inch cut 24 H.P !! (86 hrs) Price 1,500. Can someone please give me some feedback, being I am a woman this is a tough decisions !! Is it worth it ?? Or am I wasting my $ ?? I realize there are some good and some bad to all tractors. However I want to make the best decision..... thanks !!
Maximus Well, the real issue is the source of where ANY of the above mentioned machines were purchased.

Are you guys serious? Look REAL close at a Yard Man, then the so-called JDs' at Home Depot next time yer their. Stunningly similar eh????

You absolutely have to go to a JD Dealer, to purchase a REAL JD.

My 2135 Cub has been great to me. Granted it was bought from an honest-to-god Cub dealer. It tips the scales around 900-1100 lbs. Full steel frame, cast HDS transmission, steel driveshaft, PTO probs?? not here. 1200hrs into it.

My Fathers JD X540 is a Jewel, but Christ- $6800..... He's happy though....

Chezhd Just bought a JT LA 105 at Home depot online. A John Deere dealer delivered it, set it up for Home Depot and said they carry the exact model at their shop.
Keith Look for a used Cub Cadet Diesel. I have a Cub Cadet 782d and a 1512 ~ both are diesels. Both mowers have a 50 inch deck and mowers could handle a larger deck without any problems. These are by far the bast tractors that I have ever mowed with. Used 1/3 the fuel that a gas tractor would use - tractors are not noise and have a smooth running Kubota 3 cylinder D-600B engine. My 782d has around 850 hours and the 1512 has around 1200 hours. The average life of these engines are 5000 hours before needing an overhaul. Both of these tractors were around $1500 each. Best investment that I have made and very dependable. My daughter is 12 and mows with the 782d and does an awesome job. Once you go with a diesel you will never go back to a gas motor. Lots of power and torque. Both tractors are garden tractors and both are shaft drive. The only issue that I have had is Kubota puts the ground wire on the air cleaner - which is rubber mounted and does not make good connection. I moved ground wire to the motor block and fixed that problem. Very happy with my Diesel's.
Keith Look for a used Cub Cadet Diesel. I have a Cub Cadet 782d and a 1512 ~ both are diesels. Both mowers have a 50 inch deck and mowers could handle a larger deck without any problems. These are by far the best tractors that I have ever mowed with. Used 1/3 the fuel that a gas tractor would use - tractors are not noise and have a smooth running Kubota 3 cylinder D-600B engine. My 782d has around 850 hours and the 1512 has around 1200 hours. The average life of these engines are 5000 hours before needing an overhaul. Both of these tractors were around $1500 each. Best investment that I have made and very dependable. My daughter is 12 and mows with the 782d and does an awesome job. Once you go with a diesel you will never go back to a gas motor. Lots of power and torque. Both tractors are garden tractors and both are shaft drive. The only issue that I have had is Kubota puts the ground wire on the air cleaner - which is rubber mounted and does not make good connection. I moved ground wire to the motor block and fixed that problem. Very happy with my Diesel's.
t i got a 320 good for mowing and snow blowing but not to good on hills tho depending on the slope

mike Doesn't anyone who owns a JD have trouble with their junky plastic hood. Mine started cracking about 4 years ago. I purchased the LTX38 in 1994 and patched it up many times. Now I run it without any hood on account of of all the fractures. I have less than an acres and relatively flat. The Kohler engine is excellent but the hood is junk.
Brad I have a Cub Cadet GT2552 with a 54" deck and a 42" snow blower. Its the best tractor we have ever owned, we originally bought a GT1554 reconditioned, and the engine quit after the first mowing, the Kohler Courages series V twins aren't built very heavy duty compared to the 23hp command in my new one. the new tractor sounds like a Harley at low idle:) I havent heard any complaints about the JD L100 series, but compared to mine, they probably wouldn't last 5 minutes before they broke an axle on my rough lawn. the X series is more expensive , but a way better option than getting a 100 series. if you need heavy duty, i would not reccommend buying anything smaller than a JD X300, or a Cub Cadet GT2542,because the LA's and the LT 1000's just aren't built very rugged. Happy Mowing:)
pb I may be repeating several comments already made at this sight as I have not read them all. But in general, things ain't made like they used to be. Even if you spend close to 10K dollars on a garden/lawn tractor from JD, Cub, Simplicity or anybody, they aren't made like yesteryear. At this price, however, they are by far higher quality than what you find at Home Depot or Lowes. But remember the JD Sabre line? Pure garbage!!!! It was stamped out at a huge assembly line at MTD, like so many others in that price range and even those at the 2000.00 mark. Troy Bilt is really the only one at this price point that has any significant distinction from a manufacturing point-of-view, namely, they aren't manufactured by MTD. That is not to say that you are getting a lot more for your money, because you find them to be of comparable quality with maybe a plus here and a minus there in reference to lawnmowers. If you want todays version of the equipment that made JD, Cub, and the like famous, you will pay deerely. If you want to cut a half acre of grass once a week, go get a John Doe at Lowes and save yourself thousands. But don't be to disappointed when you have to do it again in 5 years--10 if your lucky. When you compare apples to apples, JD will always be more money, because of the name. They are no better than other models of the same level. In fact, because of the cost differential, you lose a little. The bottom line is this: What's your budget? Go pick the best machine that you can afford in that range. You won't notice a huge difference in either direction with quality. If you like green, than your choice is obvious. But you will pay a few bucks more guaranteed. By the way, ever taken a close look at one of the old Gravely walk-behind tractors, or the full out riding mowers? If you are ever privileged to do so, you will be absolutely floored with the shear amount of metal in those beasts. You can get a quick look on Ebay by typing in Gravely. You will quickly see what are fathers and grandfathers were talking about when the said things ain't made like they used to be. And another thing, don't be fooled by the nice big Kohler name on the Courage series of engines. You guessed it. This is Kohler's way of selling out just a little to get you to by a particular piece of equipment at a particular price, which also makes me wonder how Simplicity can ask anywhere from 5k-7k dollars for a garden tractor and package it with anything less than Kohler Command. The Courage series ain't the same as the Command. Will the Courage hold up a few years for Tommy Homeowner? Most likely. In fact that motor is engineered for him. But don't go cutting any football fields on a regular basis. It is simply not engineered for that kind of action. I'm 36 years young and have sold commercial welding equipment for 12 years. We get people all the time who buy a Lincoln welder from Lowes. This is not the same grade of equipment in Lincoln's commercial line up. This explains the reason why it is sometimes hundreds cheaper than when you buy from a welding supply distributor. It makes a huge difference. We run slam into this issue on a continual basis. And anyone who thinks that it is significantly different with lawn care equipment needs their head examined. Don't get me wrong. I'm all for the guy who spends 1800.00 on a brand new JD or Cub, and gets twenty years out of it with no complaints, and cuts grass for a living. But truth be told, those situations are nothing less than miraculous. And sometimes the stories these people tell are to make themselves feel better, because the truth of the matter is, they should have saved their money and invested in a quality machine. Now they have a piece of junk they don't know what to do with. Believe me, I've been in those shoes myself. And that's how I have come to this conclusion.
Ron Great thread! I was looking at a used Cub LT 1550 for $1700. Low hours. But after reading all the great posts I am thinking I will be ahead (for my needs) by getting a used Deere X300 that will run me $2300. Posted 5/6/09
lewis I got a Scotts (by John Deere) in 2000 for mowing less than an acre. I got a Cub 3500 Heavy duty with 54" deck when I moved to 6 acres in 2006; this was a $6000 purchase. The cub has less than 200 hours and it has spent most of it's life in the shop or the barn because it runs 20 minutes then stops. Dealer can't find what's wrong. The cheap Scotts throw-away mower runs great and cuts better than the cub when it works. The cub is a money pit.
pb This is just another comment that I have in reference to the history of Cub Cadet. As one poster already mentioned, Cub Cadet was acquired by MTD in 1981. For sometime after that, MTD allowed Cub to exist as a separate entity. They were owned by MTD, but the the QC department was under the watchful eye of Cub Cadet. In other words the equipment was still very much designed and manufactured by Cub Cadet. It's only been in the past few years where we find MTD actually manufacturing some of the Cub models--namely those you find in Lowes, Home Depot, or Tractor Supply. You will also find MTD bread crumbs all over a John Deere at similar establishments. And except for the much desired Kawasaki power plant in the JD X300, you won't find a huge difference between that and the LA100's in the big box stores. Don't believe me? Take some pictures of the two and compare. You'll have to step all to the X500 series to see any noticeable differences. And if you are perhaps stuck on a shaft drive Hydro-tranny, like I am, you have to move up to the X700 series. My personal opinion is the Cub gt 2500 series has a lot to offer at thousands less than JD. But to return to the subject at hand, Cub Cadet is still it's own entity, and they are still in charge of manufacturing the 2500, and 3000 series tractors. It's quite obvious that MTD has done well with their acquisition of Cub almost 30 years ago. But it only stands to reason that they use their existing assembly lines to manufacturer cookie cutter equipment, and sell it at a price almost anyone can afford, and at the same time, allow Cub to manufacture products that they are known for, at greater cost to the end user. The point? It may seem to be a small detail, but understanding exactly how these large corporations are structured is quite important when deciding to purchase this type of equipment, or anything for that matter. Just because some big outfit owns a much smaller name, does not at all mean that every aspect of that equipment is designed by the mother ship. In fact, you would be quite surprised to see how seldom that that is the case. Just as an example--on a totally unrelated product--are you familiar with Chipotle Mexican Grill? Well many people are very surprised to find out that they are owned by McDonalds. But if you've ever eaten there, you won't find a trace of the golden arches anywhere. In fact, their food is a dump truck load better, if you like that kind of thing. And while the negotiations of acquisition were progressing, it was agreed upon that McDonald's would have absolutely no influence on the quality of the food that Chipotle would sell. Another thing, no matter how much money you spend, and no matter what the ratings say, we are all going to be victims of a lemon at some point. It's a reality. We just hope that if we bite the bullet and sink the money into a more expensive machine, that it will pay off. And for the most part it does. None of us can really have a full grasp on exactly what the best is, because it's not possible to have all the information. Therefore, we are forced to go with what we can get our hands on.
WalterK On the issue of new vs older tractors, there's a lot of discussion on a few of the other tractor forums about the perceived quality (or lack thereof) of the current JD X300 series. I ran a post asking for input on which X300 series tractor the forum readers felt was most appropriate for my needs, based on criteria such as quality of cut, bagging and mulching capability (including ability NOT to clog the chute), quality of transaxle, agility, etc.
What I ended up getting was a LOT more recommendations to look at used JDs - the original 300 and 400 series, as well as the GT series, instead of the X300 line.
What do the readers on this forum think?

David J. Flynn I have owned a 2006 100 series '115' and I currently own an X300. The 115 was a great mower; i had just over 200 hours on it when i replaced it with the X300 and I encountered almost zero problems. I mow about 4 acres and so decided to buy a heavier unit. My X300 is probably the best mower I have ever owned, and I have went through 5-8 tractors. The Kawasaki is by far the best engine on the market, I believe. I am a little biased towards the John Deere, though.
WalterK No dispute on the bias toward JD (although I'll still check out the CC line) - just passing along the general advice I've received from a number of people who seem to prefer slightly older JD models over the current X300 series, and who indicate that those used models, purchased today, will likely outlast a new X300 series tractor, although with what degree of service and out-of-pocket expense I can't say. You also have to factor in that, for roughly the same price (although sans the warranty!), you can get full hydraulics, etc on some used models.
Steve For what it's worth, buying cheap is expensive. Evaluate your needs. I have 4 hilly acres to mow once a week. Bought my first JD, a 180 with a 46 inch deck new in '87 for $1800. used it hard for 8 years replaced a drive belt, no other problems, great machine. In '95 I fell in love with the JD 345, cost was $6500 with a 54"deck, they took a grand off the price then I ask if they take trades they said yes and gave me $2K for my old JD. I have run the 345 hard for 14 years with the only repair of one drive belt! No issues or problems ever. I can't figure out my neighbors, they go through a Sears Craftsman every 5 years so my JD is "cheaper" than a Sears.
Tim I have a 107 model cub cadet that my neighbor bought 41 years ago and it is still going strong for most applications. However the motor is loosing power because the piston is badly worn from age. Other than that the machine is mechanically sound. I am purchasing the cub cadet GT 2544 to do the majority of my work requiring more power than the 107 can give me. It has a 22 HP dual piston Kohler motor. I use my tractor for moving fire wood and logs out of my 5 acres of mountains , mowing is the easiest work it does. Because of the rugged terrain I need a comercial duty machine. My dealer told me that if you go to any of the 1000 or 1500 models they WILL NOT last and do not have cub cadet quality, many are made overseas for cub cadet. It’s kind of like a junk version of cub cadet. You have to move into the 2500 and above models to get the old cub cadet quality. He said the JD is an awesome tractor but like everything else has gone cheap for HD and Lowes to sell it and in order to get a decent machine you have to go with its commercial or pro models to get quality. Plus Cub has the direct drive instead of belt drive. The Kohler engine has been an awesome engine and a work house for years. The JD uses a friggen Jap motor, why can’t we use AMERICAN motors???? The cub seemed to be the better choice when I did the research.
SAM I STILL HAVE THE 214 JD WITH 42" DECK AND TILLER BOUGHT NEW BY MY FATHER IN 1976. Father in law owned troybilt 16 HYDRO mower its had more repairs than the 214. recently bought x320 love it! ITS MOSTLY A PERSONAL PREFERANCE BETWEEN JD,CC, OR TROYBILT ETC. AND WHAT YOU CAN AFFORD IT COST ALITTLE BIT MORE BUT DONT REGRET THE X320 PURCHASE.
Ken Cub Cadet has a weak steering system. Bad news. Gears wear and strip as they are thin and light. Does not hold up under heavy use.
Keith H. Grew up with a Cub Cadet, which was passed on to my brother how loves it. The tractor is over 30 years+ old with very limited maintenance and alot of rugged fight (hauling alot of cords of wood, blowing snow, mowing 5 acres, etc)

I am bothered about leaving the yellow family and going green, since looking at both the JD X320/324 and the Cubby 2500 Series. If I could only get the engine shaft drive system (no-belts)and Cast Iron transmission (alumin.) on the JD it would be an easier decision. Lets all face it, Cubby messed up the external features, and ease and comfort, but still has the power and quality in design-in its guts.

After reading this long e-mail trail, I am going to take one long last look at both, but since I have not heard anything too negative about the transmission and belt system, I am leaning Green unless someone can convince me otherwise. Also any comments on the JD X500 or Cubby 3000 series, but $1,500 more, would be appreciated.

Yellow guy leaning green.

Gilroy I've got an JD X300 now....and i'm VERY happy with it. Much better than my last tractor (cub) which had PTO problems seemingly way too often for my opinion.

Good power for my couple acres...that is mostly flat. No problems. It hauls my old cart too without trouble.

Best of all, we've gotten good service, and the cub dealer closed in our town anyway. Would have to haul it a long way for all those fixings now if i had stayed with it.

scott I want a deere so bad ,like a used gt, but anyway a few years ago I got luckey and got the cub lt2180. vangaurd engine,shaft drive beefy.I still want a Deere but know I have a rugged tractor.
Bill Too many subjective answers in these blogs. I simply want to know how much weight you guys have tow-carted around with the x304. It would be useful to describe your terrain as well.

(I want to buy one to push Chicago snow, mow half an acre, and haul around 800lbs of large rocks from neighboring farmlands in 2 mile round trips)

Thanks for your help!!!

Mike S My Cub Cadet 2160, auto gear system, just blew up.ONLY 237 hrs.I bought a new JD X500.Being delivered 6/30/09.I hope it is a whole lot better.
Phil Fillmore McClain Hi There,

On the Cub Cadet vs John Deer debate...Go with the best build tractor, the one that has the most options that you need... at the lowest price.

You should get 10 to 20 years of service from both Cub Cadet and John Deer, provided that you maintain and service your tractor regularly.

I wood suggest that you purchase your tractor from a Cub Cadet or John Deer Dealership...you will get much better service than from Home Depot, Lowes or any of the other Discount Stores.

I have two Cub Cadets that have not missed a mowing season since they were purchased new. Both have original engines and transmissions.

These tractors were manufactured by - (IH) International Harvester...Not (MTD)as which most Garden/Lawn Tractors are today. Quality Control has been drastically been reduced by MTD to increase corporate profits and reduce consumer pricing...unfortunatly MTD's product line now includes Cub Cadet, JD, and many more.

Listed below is a discription of my tractors:

1. Cub Cadet-Model-86/ 1Cyl-8HP Kohler with 3Speed Transmission, purchased in 1974. (34 years old) (Cost-$1,125)

2. Cub Cadet-Model-147/ 1Cyl-14HP Kohler Engine, Electric PTO, with Hydrostatic Transmission, purchased in 1971. (38 years old) Cost-$1,495)

Hope I could provide some insight.

Phil McClain
fmcclain49xxx@yahoo.com

D. Vance Food for thought!! This is my experience of a Cub Cadet ZRT50; 3/30/2007 was the date of registration, 17AA5D7P756 MODEL. I have had the PTO clutch replaced four times by dealer under the three year warranty. (1)The first problem was a defect in the original Mfg. PTO clutch after using it a year and had a new retrofit PTO clutch installed. (2)CC did not inform CC dealer of a bushing in the retrofit and it went out the first time I used it. (3)The CC dealer replaced the PTO again. (4)The PTO was replaced again after the crankshaft bolt sheared off when using it after the third PTO replacement. (5)CC dealer had to replace crankshaft and installed another PTO clutch. Tried it again and the PTO clutch has stopped working again after first mowing again, this will be number six, waiting for CC dealer pickup. Thanks for the three year warranty.
Tony S. Recently bought a Cub Cadet LTX1046 vtwin Kohler 22 horse, 46 inch deck. I spent 4 and half hours push mowing and bagging my lawn the other week (less 1/2 an acre)and finished in 40 minutes on the cub. I grew up on a farm with Deere all over the place, but with regards to "needs" of a lawn mower and for what I will need this tractor suites perfectly and is running smooth and great with the v-twin Kohler. Personally, for my flat lot with 1/2 an acre of mowing 1-2 times a week tops, this mower is almost overkill for me, but I still would rather finish mowing sooner rather than later. For the value and needs that I have, I don't think it really makes a difference what you buy, I am completely content with the Cub Cadet and it'll work great. However, if I lived on a larger lot, with rougher terrain, more wear, etc... I would've went with a JD X series. But again, for residential/city living, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Craftsman, etc....just pick one.
Tony S. Recently bought a Cub Cadet LTX1046 vtwin Kohler 22 horse, 46 inch deck. I spent 4 and half hours push mowing and bagging my lawn the other week (less 1/2 an acre)and finished in 40 minutes on the cub. I grew up on a farm with Deere all over the place, but with regards to "needs" of a lawn mower and for what I will need this tractor suites perfectly and is running smooth and great with the v-twin Kohler. Personally, for my flat lot with 1/2 an acre of mowing 1-2 times a week tops, this mower is almost overkill for me, but I still would rather finish mowing sooner rather than later. For the value and needs that I have, I don't think it really makes a difference what you buy, I am completely content with the Cub Cadet and it'll work great. However, if I lived on a larger lot, with rougher terrain, more wear, etc... I would've went with a JD X series. But again, for residential/city living, Cub Cadet, John Deere, Craftsman, etc....just pick one.
Andy G I've recently purchased a property in Aiken, SC on 9 acres - 3 horse paddocks and a hillside lot with a few trees. Looking for a mower and undecided between the JD x729, x728 or the CC SC2400 TD (all with 60"/62" decks). Any recommendations?
Dan G Here's my 2 cents:

Had a 2007 John Deere LA120, 21hp, V-twin, 42" deck. Nice machine. Bought this when I needed a bigger rider and my Simplicity Cornet was outgrown for the new house/yard.

The JD was great mechanically. Ran like a top - no problems. Did not cut worth a darn. Although, I'm a bit biased after having the Simplicity. The JD does not pick-up well either. Scatters the clipings everywhere but in the bag. Bagger doesn't fill equally, pick-up tube wiggles loose and out of the bagger inlet.

JD was stolen forcing me to by a new rider within a two year period. Bought the Cub Cadet LTX1042, 19hp, 42 in deck - timed cut.

Machine is nice. Just a hair cheaper than the comperable JD LA135SE. But, cuts and picks-up much nicer than the John Deere. The single cylinder isn't that noticably differnent in noise or vibraion - which I'm surprised at. Don't know about longevity yet. Only time will tell.

All said and done - I think I'd pick the Cub Cadet again over the Deere. Haven't had any problems with the CC and never had problems with the JD.

Both were purchased from my local independent dealer. Much better service than the big box stores. Also, if you have work done on a mower purchaced from the dealer - you get preferenced with your repair and go ahead of those who purchased them from the big box.

Hope this helps.

wvcc09 I just purchased a Cub GT2544 two weeks ago. I was also looking at the J.D. X340 but it was also alot more. The Cub is replacing a Craftsman DX5000 which i had for about 8 yrs. and had a whole heap of problems with it. I didn't want to go with the 100 series at Lowes on the JD or the
Cub at because of how cheap they are made. I also didn't want the B.S. motor either. I have a back problem and right now i am sorry i have the agriculture tires on it and it rides rough. I am going to put the turf tires on with the chains and weights on see how it does then. The biggest gripe right now i have is there is no fuel gauge on the cub or the JD either. Like i said i hope i am satisfied because of the money spent. Thanks

ED GUILL HAVE USED CUBS FOR YEARS, HAD 107 FOR 8 YEARS,HAD A 1710 USED FOR 10 YEARS, HAD A 2142 USED FOR 6 YEARS, NOW USING A 3100 WHICH IS THE BEST ONE YET,,NEVER EVEN REPLACED ANY DECK BEARINGS, POINTS, OR ANY BIG ITEMS ON ANY OF THE ABOVE, JUST BELTS AND NORMAL WEAR ITEMS.. I LIKE THE WAY CUBS ARE DESIGNED..COMPARE THE WEIGHT OF COMPARABLE JD...THERE IS MORE OF SOMETHING SOMEWHERE ..HARD TO BEAT FOR PRICE IS MY THOUGHTS.
WNEW Looking for a riding mower and not sure what to get. I have about 3/4 of an acre with no hills and a few obsticles. I want something that is going to get the job done, but I am afraid to buy from HD or Lowes based on the comments.

Any help would be appreciated!!

BIGYARD I find it funny reading about all the problems that everyone has. Does anyone do regular maintenance on things anymore? No wonder your tractors only last 500hrs. Engines might be more modernized, but they STILL NEED OIL! Bearings still need GREASE. Both tractors are good, JUST TAKE CARE OF IT! After reading these stories, I'm confident that I could buy the cheapest yardman or craftsman mower out there and keep it longer than most. Majority is how you treat it, did you buy the right tractor for the job, and do some damn general maintenance on it.
BIG POND I have found soaking my spark plugs in lemonade actually helps them last longer in my mowers.

I lube my belts with vasoline, and actually mix 1/4 Virgin Olive Oil in with the gas, for better performance and gas milelage when i take my tractor down off the hill on those longer trips down to the semi-local blacksmith where I sell the metal springs from the recliners that I burn in my friday-nite bonfires. My backyard isn't too hilly or steepy.

anthony Aug.2009 (they really should display dates of these post) Anyway, Just want to say that JD makes JD and no-one else. Still, this belief is out there that MTD makes box store JD's. It just is not true. The JD's at Lowes/HD are exactly the same as at the dealer.
I bought the LA135 in April and will stand behind it against any 2k "Lawn" tractors.
While all brands in this price point are about the same, the JD edges out the competition IMHO.
Go to Consumer Affairs and research the "nature" of problems other brands have compared to the JD LA series.

Mike I own 2 Cubs, a 1990 1882 Super Garden Tractor and a 1990 1862 garden tractor. Both are superb machines and still running and plowing hard. The thing to remember is that they are SHAFT drive not BELT drive. I don't care for any tractor that is belt drive no matter who makes them. BTW, all the CC 1000 series lawn tractor are throw away tractors meaning that the tractor is designed to last between 7 to 10 years and that is it. None of the cubs below a 2500 series has a serviceable hydro-tranny. The tranny is a sealed unit that has a LIMITED life. The hytran CAN'T be changed. In closing, although I am a Cub guy and an IH guy, the only cubs that are worth their salt are the 2500 and 3000 series. I really feel that CC cheapened their lower end equipment over the last 15 or so years.

charlie My cub is two yrs old. The design is so bad. It has melted the from grill twice because of poor design for the exhaust pipe. It has also caught fire twice because of all these shrouds cub has put over the engine. They trap the dry grass, I have to stop half way thru an acre mow to bvloew out the engine. If I don't it will catch fire. What a stupid degisn for a machine that is suppose to cut grass...It will be my last cub.
Aussie I spent weeks looking at mowers, worse than buying a car! Came down to three in the end, Husqvarna 2042 (Kohler 20), Cub LT 1046 (Kohler 22) and the JD 135SE (B&S 22). Round and round but finally settled on the JD, but there wasn't much between them at all. Believe it or not the JD was the cheapest of the three at $A4800 (yes, the Cub has the 46 deck). The decision was finally about quality, reputation, resale and the salesman was a good bloke. I have only done a few hours on it but I am totally rapped. The grass (bush!) was very long and a bit damp but it performed beyond my expectations. If it continues like this, I will be a very happy new JD fan.
Thomas Ryan I've been looking for a lawn tractor for less than 1 acre of ground 3/4 of it looks like a double black diamond ski slope.That being said, I'm more concerned with the hydrostatic transmission burning up. All the box stores have low end K46 tranny's as well as the entry level John Deere from the dealer. TuffTorq.com makes 90+% of the hydrostatic transmissions. Went to a CubCadet dealer looked under the transaxle to see if I could find the tufftorq.com sticker no luck. Came home looked up cub cadet online. I started pricing higher models right up to the industrials, they come with a yanmar diesel engine the parent company of tufftorq.com. $1499 for a 42 inch rider with die-cast rear end or $3699 for same cub cadet 1 more hp and iron-heavy duty rear end. It took me a day to figure this out. Deck washing sytems/Arm rests/cub holders/every one in my family has owned a JD I really don't care for anything more than the facts EVEN JD's good tractors carry what a higher priced heavy duty tufftorq tranny just like some of the other players. We should all be asking where's the beef? it's not in the engine it's in the rear end!
STEVE ALL DEERE TRACTORS ARE MADE BY DEERE. I WORK FOR DEERE. I CANT BELIEVE SOME PEOPLE ARE STATING THINGS LIKE HOME DEPOT AND LOWES DEERES ARE NOT MADE BY DEERE.
Jim I bought a JD X340 what a pile of junk! The PTO went out within two months and I've had nothing but trouble with it ever since. They say nothing runs like a deer they are right nothing else could perform this poorly. Never again! and John Deere's attitude is if we make and paint it green people will buy it even if it's junk. I have to admit JD has a loyal following. I am no longer one of them. The farm tractor quality has evaporated as well. The powershift on our 86 series jerks backward when you shift up to the next gear but the dealer says there is nothing wrong with it. The days of making good tractorslike the 4020 are behind John Deere. I should have bought the Cub.
heff this is too fun... I had to say something. I'm a Simplicity owner and love to sit back and watch you guys go at it.
As long as everyone knows what they are buying, and what should be expected, then it's ok to buy a entry level unit, but don't expect to get Champagne on a Boone's Farm budget. Yea someone probably out there is still driving their Yugo. Or, still mowing with their 1968 Snapper Comet, but for the most of us, we are just not that lucky..life is just not that smooth. Plus, there is no cool factor in a Yugo. A Snapper, maybe..
So, buy the best you can afford. Be proud of it. love it regardless of what kind it is.. But, buy from a dealer...
Having said that, I have to give my input on the debate....if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose between only a Big Murray Green and Baby poop MTD yellow, (being a Simplicity guy) in purchasing a new entry level mower with only $1500.00 to spend, I would buy buy the CC due to the Kohler engine vs the b/s in John Deere. IF I was spending 3000.00 and had to buy a new one, I would buy the JD 300 series, or what I found today, a new left over LX280. Sometimes leftovers or slightly used ones are the way to go...

Bob Got to vote John Deere from a John Deere dealer. Bought a new GT-245 w/54" deck in 2004. It has the 20Hp Kawasaki V-Twin and still runs great after 5 years. I had a Cub Cadet 2140 with a Cummins/Onan engine and liked it until the transmission started slipping and the steering knuckles failing all the time. I bought the 48" snowblade with chains and weights instead of shoveling, what a backsaver. I mow 2 acres with some hills and wanted a heavy duty transmission and just heavy duty all around. When I had the Cub, I thought people were paying for the green paint and the name. Couldn't have been more wrong. Nothing runs or holds up like a Deere.
Bob Almost forgot to mention something I thought was funny. The bearing on one of the deck pulleys on my 2140 Cub froze up one time and started smoking. When I took it off to get a replacement it had "Made in U.S.S.R." on it. I don't know if anybody considers this good or bad since the Ruskies supposedly make good tractors but, I had an American flagged made in U.S.A. sticker that came on it when I bought it new and wondered what else was foreign made on it. And yea, I kept it in case anybody ever asks to see it.
Bret I have a 155C JD. This is solely my experience and you can take it for what it's worth. This tractor has been a disappointment since I bought it. The 1st day home it missed and backfired. JD dealer said he couldn't come back to get it and they were to busy and would be about 3 or 4 days. Salesman brought spark plugs to put in and try. I should have taken it back then but I was excited I had my new JD and I was gonna tear up some grass and snow. It ran a little better but still seemed to miss. It backfired alot when shutting off and pushing the little yellow button to go in reverse. Went like that from May07 to Dec 07. In Dec07 blowing snow it got real bad missing and losing power. Called Deere and they said clear snow from the muffler underneath. It was in my garage and there was no snow and they finally came and got it. Shoveled snow that whole week. Finally tractor showed back up with no call or reason. Turned it on and it ran again but still backfiring when shutoff or turned idle down or backed up. Finsished rest of season and next mowing season like that. Next season blowing snow the plastic chute had a piece of ice go thru it and busted it from top to bottom. Still under warranty and Deere wouldn't replace it. Big flaw in this product since other blowers have steel chutes. I finally asked what was wrong with it last year when it came to them. They said head was warped so they put a new one on it. By the way it is a B&S motor. That winter finally so upset called JD to come get this piece of junk util it's fixed right. Belt busted on snowblower and battery dead. Well they replaced the belt and battery and again just showed up. Now I am getting ready for another winter season and have and have noticed bubbling on all steel parts of the tractor except the plastic hood. The mower, I had to wire wheel all the rust and bubbling and repaint it. this tractor will be lucky to go 5 years. I traded in a 2000 JD Sabre and had it 6 years and never went to JD dealer 1 time. I shoulda kept it and just bought a snowblower for it. I know this was the cheaper brand to the dealers but to me $3700 isn't cheap. Maybe I just got a bad tractor but thats my story. You can take it for what it's worth. And before you say to turn down the idle before you shut it off I did and it just made a little less noisy backfire.
RJ Bought a JD 115 from Home Depot. A piece of junk. I returned it after one use. The bagger would get clogged and I had to clear it over and over. I am now getting a CC LTX 1050.
vrocket Ok I have been reading almost all of the posts on this forum. I am a perfectionist about my stuff. I recently purchased a house on 1 1/2 acre, flat. I was offered a JD/HD 120 which I turned down after calling a JD dealer to find out they are FAKE JD. After reading the forum it seems that price dictates the best quality. The JDx300 is the starting point for a really good mower. It appears the CC are ok, but they are a step below the JD. Everything read seems to say the Kawasaiki is the the best motor. The frame and the assembly seem to be better quality on the JD. All in all it seems you get what you pay for. Thank you to all for their input. I will be visiting my local dealer to see what the best price on a X300 is.
joanne Thanks everyone! Plan on buying my husband a 2010
JD X500. All these posts convinced me that you get what you pay for and nothing less.

Brad Before anybody considers buying the junk that is put out today, they should price out having their old unit rebuilt. I would sink $2500 into an old Cub, JD or Wheel Horse before I would buy anything new. My 73' horse still mows fine and doesn't burn oil because it has been taken care of. The days of the "garden tractors" are gone. The new units are riding lawn mowers, that's it. Cast iron has given way to pot metal alluminum. Formed steal frames have been rolled into sheets and then stamped out like cookies. You might as well wait till Toyota makes one.
Rocket This is just a general question. I am considering buying either a JD or a Cub. I have notied that the JD's seem to be more husky and reliable but the Cub's seem to be a little wobblier but with more convienience options avalable. I have about a 1 acre piece of land with some hills and rough grass. I am considering either (from Cub Cadet) an LTX 1045 or an LTX 1042. And from John Deere I am considering either the LA105 or the LA110. If anyone can give me some insight on which one(s) will last longer and are more reliable that would be great. I also would like to know something about which ones cut nicer and which one's have more convient options. Thanks
rocky I'm considering buying a john deere LA 155 or a Cub
Cadet SLT 1550 which was manufactured 4 years ago ,but is brand new.Or a Cub Cadet 2010 SLTX 1050.Is
the 2006 Cub Cadet a better machine than the 2010?

squirejohn My trouble free shaft driven 30 year old JD 316 is starting to show its age and I'm thinking of replacing it with either a CC 2550 or JD X320. After reading the above posts it appears the JD has had fewer problems, cuts better and has a Kawasaki engine which is prefered over the Kohler which the CC has. The CC however is beefier (word ?),has a preferred xmission, and is shaft driven which may be an important consideration on my sloping lawn and weed field.
Both cost the same -about $4000 and evben after reading all of the above posts I'm still undecided. Maybe I'll just flip a coin.

C

grasser 1987 mdl craftsman gt18 and a 1981 simplicity 7116 both still going and both still mowing

Helen I bought a Cub Cadet 2 years ago It is a LT1042. I really, really like it. I have a big yard and driveway and ditch to mow. I haven't had any trouble with it at all. It mows great and runs good. No trouble with it at all. I would definetily buy another one. Is smooth riding and also looks great. Have never had a JD lawn mower.
Ken I bought my first JD in 1984, it was a 318 and an excellent tractor. In 2004 I traded it in on a JD LX280 because I didn't need as big a unit with all the attachments because we had built a new house with a little smaller yard. In my opinion, you can't buy a better piece of equipment! Just make sure you buy one big enough to do what you need/want to do. Too many people buy a unit that is too small for their purpose and then they complain that the unit is no good. In the end you get what you pay for and John Deere is hard to beat.
Shannon Redford

I bought my cub Cadet 2186-44 August 2004, it has cut the grass well. The Kohler engine is what sold it for me. Over all I'd say the quality is crap! No sealed beam headlights, just a plastic thing that gets charged with static electricity and attracts the dust. The lens is held in place by several plastic clips, that have all but one broke from the frequent removal for cleaning. Cheap cheap cheap. My first oil change was an experience that I'll only repeat here because it was so frustrating. They have a convenient valve that you slide a tube on and turn the (cheap plastic) valve to drain the oil, well the tube diameter and wall and location of the valve (did I mention cheap plastic) although a nice idea it worked for crap - the valve fall apart the tube fell off and the end result was a lot of swearing and oil everywhere. I ended up ripping it out and plumbing in a bent piece of stainless tubing and a few fittings...much better. It did require unbolting the engine to lift the motor to get the old piece of crap plastic valve out. I'm a maintenance freak, so I keep my fluids and filters changed and fittings greased. I actually started off being impressed by the number of grease fittings on the 2186 but that also turned into disappointment when I realized they were all knock-in rather than tapped fittings. Knock in equals cheep. Knock in equals pull out and fall out, which was the case. So rather than cutting my grass I replaced all of those knock in pieces of crap with high quality threaded grease fittings. Not an easy task I'll add after the fact, tapping the holes is doubly difficult to avoid any metal chips. This could have been done at the factory. Today while doing my spring maintenance I found that the left front wheel bearing is gone, pretty sad for a tractor with 142 hours - that has always been well maintained. I'm not giving any advice to what to buy, more than likely they are all cheap junk.

Dr. Jeremiah Behrens I have owned both John Deere, and Cub Cadet. They both have there good sides, and they both have their down sides. Remember John Deere is a major tactor supplier to farming equipment, and Cub Cadet who is owned by the the largest lawn tractor supplier (MTD). What people fail to relize is either company makes their own enige for their mowers. So you can not say that one has a better engine than the other. Seeing they use the same engines (briggs, kohler, and so on). Second of all John Deere does not make their own decks (sorry John Deere Guys) they are made by another company. I will not say the name. I'm sure you noticed when you are in a store then you see the same lawn tractor next to it but it has a differnt name tag. Same thing with Cub Cadet. All it comes down to is companies like MTD,and Briggs are tring to get die hard John Deere, IH, and so on to buy lawn tractors. So they go to John Deere and ask if they can use their name on their mowers. In exchange John Deere gets money for letting them use their name. People out there say the dumdest things without looking into the matter. Come on people use your heads.
What it comes down to is what makes you feel better as a buyer. After all its your hard earned money. Its not like a ford or chevy. Mowers have the same engines offered, the trsanmissions are made by the same companies over seas, and the options are the same(also made by the same company).
If they all use the same engines how is one better than the other? Is the green paint make it better? Is the Yellow paint make the other one better? The red paint make the other one better? Is one tranmission better than the other one? Seeing their are only 2 companies that make the tranmission for lawn tractors, and all lawn tractors use those 2 companies. Having a Jury's Doc, and a PH D trust me when unlike most fools who say they did the research I did the research. I did not just go but what another person wrote in a blog. I looked up the info from the manufactures.

I hope this helps people to choice there next lawn tractor. After all its your money, and dont let someone esle tell ypu how to spend it

pete They're all garbage.
Nothings built with pride anymore.
It's all about the almighty dollar.

john foster When you guys ever save up and buy one of the JD X500 garden tractors.....well, that will be the last one you ever need to buy.
James I bought an LT1045 four years ago. We babied it with servicing and it is garage kept. After 60 hrs. the engine cracked. Looks great, but the Kohler engine is shot. Now it is worthless.

Manning I purchased a Cub LT1554 4-5 years ago. It is not as heavy built as the "old cubs". I will say it has been a very reliable mower. I mow approximately 7 acres with hills/trees/some rough areas and it has stood up to the test. I do all my own preventative maint. work myself. If you choose to rely on a dealership to do your pm work, select your mower by the service reputation of your local dealership. Most Deere's have a good dealer due to their high profit margin on initial sales. If money is not an issue, just reliability, buy a Kubota.
jacob I purchased the x304 2.5 years ago and listen to the problems that I have had.

When purchased it came with a two year warranty not even a month later the warranty was changed for new buyers to 4 years or 300 hours which ever came first. Being that this was a practically new purchase I requested the same for my $3500 purchase. My request was denied. 4 months later the seat cushion cracked and I park it in a shed. It was replaced. 6 months later the deck warped and was cutting my grass uneven it was replaced. Explanation was a defect in the production of the deck. Had to bring to the dealer a view times because of a load rattling noise while mowing. Explanation spring loaded pins to drop deck was the cause of this annoying noise. I had the put a dab of silicon to cushion the metal to metal contact. then a month ago I had a transmission wheel seal started leaking. NO Warranty. I Purchased a new one cost $22 plus $4 for jd20 oil. All those problems on a new John Deere mower in the first 75 hours of use. Then just recently it started making wining noises while traveling and started showing signs of power loss while climbing slopes in my yard. I had my mechanic try to diagnose the problem. It came down to removing the transmission and what we found was silicon shavings and pieces that had stopped up the internal screen. This was a obvious manufacture defect. I contacted my dealer and they said for sure this should be a out of warranty covered item. I took my x304 to my local dealer and sent them a email with all the pictures I took of the trash in the transmission. Then it was a waiting game on John Deere to find out what they would do. Two weeks at my dealer and John Deere FINALLY responded. But it wasn't what I wanted to hear. They said it was out of warranty and they were not going to help. I was shocked. I emailed Torq Tuff the manufacturer of the transmission and explained the problems I was having and sent them the pictures I had sent John Deere. I told them that John Deere did not want to stand behind their products. Would they stand behind theirs? Four days later a new transmission was at my office. NO Help from John Deere. Highly recommend Torq Tuff transmissions. They stand behind there products and admit defects of workmanship. STAY AWAY FROM JOHN DEERE.

Woodsmower I've read several articles about some cub owners encountering PTO problems like here:
http://www.lawnmowerforum.com/threads/167-Cub-Cadet-2186-PTO-Problem

Shannon I'm considering purchasing a subcompact tractor: two I've looked at are a John Deere 3005 and a Cub Cadet 2400. Does anyone have experience with either of these? or know of other sites that might be good for reviews?
captchas i have a 2008 cadet lt1050 and have had nothing but greef with it. costs a arm and leg to fix since the warrenty ran out. the kohler engine has had many problems starting and is a gas pig. all i can say is never again, trading up to a husky with a kawaskai engine and with a locking diff. hydro trans
mrjason3 My dad has a JD LX280 that he purchased just about 6 years ago from a dealer in Kokomo, Indiana. This thing is crap, total, complete crap. His old Craftsman/MTD worked just as well and lasted longer. The sad part is that dad has his JD serviced by the dealer every year (at a cost of $200 each time plus $30 to pick it up and drop it back off), he mows just at 3 acres, it's flat ground, not bumpy, occasionally pulls a light roller, a lawn sweeper, or a little dump cart behind it, and it's had nothing but problems. Dad is die hard JD and when I bought my Cub he about had a stroke over it. Now he's borrowing my Cub whenever his JD is in the shop. LOL. So, what's gone wrong with it? Latest thing was the PTO. He started it up one morning to go out and mow and it COMPLETELY BLEW UP. The entire PTO unit came flying off the bottom of the motor in about 5 different pieces. It had gotten so hot that the metal was fused together and had turned purple. When he called the dealer the service manager told him, "This is completely normal. It's a common problem due to a design flaw by John Deere. It's caused by moisture". Aren't ALL mowers exposed to moisture? It cost him over $400 bucks to get it fixed. Then, come to find out, the guy at the dealership who fixed it just threw it together in a couple of hours, got in a huge hurry and crashed it into the back of a truck bending the bumper brackets and cracking the bumper. They did replace the bumper but the bracket was still bent and they wouldn't replace that so it was slightly off and when the guy shut the hood he just kept on pushing and cracked the hood on both sides by the hinges. This was because the right side of the hood was going behind the bumper and getting caught. They say that's not their fault. He gets it back (with a cracked hood and offset bumper), makes 3 strips in his yard and the entire tie rod assembly falls off, the wheel jerks to the right (because there is nothing holding it straight), and bends the spindle. I called the dealership, talked to the service manager again and guess what? "This is entirely normal. It's a very common problem with these types of John Deere's due to a design flaw on their part. Your dad should have bought the all wheel steer model, they are better built." Almost exactly what he said about the PTO exploding. I called John Deere to file a complaint against the dealer. They told me that all John Deere dealers are independently owned and operated and JD does not tell them how to run their business, nor do they enforce or take responsibility for the product after it leaves the factory other than for agricultural/farm products. Basically, unless it's high dollar like a half a million dollar combine, you're out of luck. This is also after they replaced the hydrostat in it twice under warranty, a new battery after 6 months, a new starter, and a new blade engage button. Half the mower has been replaced already and it's not even 6 years old, John Deere won't stand behind it, and the dealer just gives excuses to milk you out of money. I have NEVER had a problem with my Cub nor will I ever even consider buying a JD. Also as a note with the moisture/PTO thing...they leave all their stock out in the rain and snow year round at the dealer.
Greg The part in the steering column that allows the steering gear to slip and click click click is a crush washer. Check the parts page, the part that breaks is item 20 on the steering portion, Bearing, Hex Flange, 5/8 (still called a crush washer).

It's s simple fix, remove the bottom bolt of the steering pinion at the end of the shaft, lift the column slightly until it clears the upper plate and remove the parts (if any) then replace the hex flange in it's seat, reinstall the column and both the end on.

Tom About 4-5 years ago, I purchased a Cub Cadet LT-1042 with the Kohler engine. Engine has been great and never missed a beat.

HOWEVER, the rest of the mower has fallen a part. Cub now sits at my local dealer with a $903 repair estimate. THIS IS IMPORTANT: TOTAL HOURS ON MOWER = 83.7 !!!

I'VE NOW CHECKED AROUND AND FIND A COMPANY CALLED "MTD" (?) MAY MAKE MOST OF THE LOWER END RIDING MOWERS INCLUDING JOHN DEERE AND CUB CADET.

Bet you guys can guess I'll never buy anything with the name "CUB CADET" on the product.

JOE PORTER have hesitation when going from forward to reverse. machine tends to pulsate. engine runs fine
jon My 3 yr old cub cadet lt 1550 has been nothing but trouble... Kolher courage not a good engine. I have had a transmission and steering column replaced. The first 2 years. I mow 2 acres was told by cubs customer service my 25 hp was not made for that much yard.. wow the sticker on the mowers said it mows 3 acres.. stay away for cub sorry i understand having issues but to pass the buck onto the customer...next purchase will be a jd
Dorothy F. Taylor I need info on comparing 2 cub cadet models, both MTD I currently have a 2130 13HP 38". Have had it 10+ yr"s. I has mowed on average 3 acers, approx. every 5 days. Been a very good mower. As of late it seems to be loosing power, so am looking to replace it prior to need. Have spotted 2 used cubs. #1- is a model LT1018, 42", 18 1/2HP New mulch blades&battery. 2Keys and manual. 48Hr's. $900.00 #2 Model 2544 44" 20HP 194 Hr's $1,200.00. Which would more closley compare to the one I have, And which would be the best for the money and for the mowing I have to do. Appreciate all opinions Thanks Dot
Glen Well I wished I had not read this forum. I'm scared to by a CC or a JD. My 15 year old Craftsman 42" cut with Kohler Command 14.5 HP still does the job. But it will need to be replaced soon. After reading this fourm, I will probably just buy another Craftsman.
JohnAllen Went to the John Deere dealership to compare what John Deere had to offer. Nice paint and very comfortable to set on, little pricey though. While I was there several customers came in to get service on their mowers. A young man said the transmission was splitting into two pieces and had oil leaking on his garage floor, another man had 2 Kawasaki engines replaced within one year and it had again quit running with only 9 hours on it. I decided to tell the salesman that I would call him if I needed him. I continued to walk around the show room and listen. One lady had two hoods replaced in two years on her lawn tractor because the plastic was breaking on the hinge part at the bottom. Another customer (who was unmistakably very angry) said he wanted his old 582 international back (I have no idea what a 582 international actually is). He was tired of the cheep steering falling apart and the hood breaking. Another gentleman who was standing beside him said he had purchased a new J.D. mower at Lowes and the left front wheel had fallen off as they were unloading it from his truck. I left the dealership wondering what has happened to what I was told one of the "old" premium mower brands. I drove to the local Big Box store to compare the prices on the J.D. mowers they carried and as I was walking in the direction of the store there was a manager trying to calm down an irate customer standing outside where the mowers were displayed. The customer said, and I quote " this is the fifth time that green and yellow ***** has broke down, I want something done." The manager was doing his best to try to calm the customer down. The customer finally turned around and walked off yelling he would never by anything from them again. I just decided to go home at this point. I have mowed 3 1/2 acres a week since 1991 with a 36 year old 60 inch cut Yazoo that has a Wisconsin motor on it. Other than a spark plug each year,3 sets of belts, oil changes, replacing the ignition points and condenser 4 times and having the drive clutch adjusted two times no problems. The engine has now developed a knocking sound that the local service guy said sounds bad. Parts are non existent now. I wanted a J.D. but now I think that I should look at the Cub Cadets.I do hope that the Cub Cadets at Tractor Supply are better than what the J.D. mowers seem to be. Sorry for the long story...What has happened to quality produced in the United States?
Larry Bought a 1554 in 2005. Had problems pretty much from the get go. Few weeks after purchase it would only run on one cylinder. Called Lowes they put me onto a warranty repair shop 40 miles away. I had already diagnosed the problem. Bad ignition module and would not send it to me. They took a over a week to pick it up and had it for another 3 weeks, returned and it still was not hitting on both cylinders. Called the shop that "fixed" it and asked why they send it back with the same problem? No problem I was told, hate that term we'll pick it up. No problem for them but a big problem for me and I told them as much. No mower for over a month with over 6 acres to cut once a week. Needless to say my farm was looking pretty embarrassing. I told them to take their attitude and stick it where the sun don't shine. Ordered the part from my local hardware and farm supply (who are a Cub dealer and repair but Lowes said I was not allowed to bring it to them for warranty work) had the part ($35) in a couple of days, 15 minutes and I was back in business! I had many issues with the machine long before the warranty expired many long after. Having a shop and being a descent mechanic, one better be when they own a farm, all of the repairs have been done in house. If I were not able to repair it my self I would have spent a ton of money on repairs not to mention months of down time. This mower is poorly designed and built. To change the main drive belt you have to lift off the engine for example! It is basically a toy with a big engine. If you are not mechanically inclined DO NOT BUY A CUB CADET FROM A BIG BOX STORE! As I found out later they are made cheaply to suite the stores price model. ONLY BUY FROM A DEALER THAT HAS A SHOP IN THE BACK AND DOES THE WARRANTY WORK THEMSELVES. Like I should have done. Saved a few hundred $$ but thousands of $$ worth of hassle. Now the transmission has gone bad! Cub Cadet shot themselves in the foot catering to the Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply's of the world. I will never buy another Cub Cadet product. I go out of my way via the internet or personally to advise people the same. Yes, I did contact Cub direct and they gave me a bunch of lip service.
Steve Thompson I'm considering buying a new lawn mower, but have a little over an acre with a large garden. It seems that the JD x500 is a little too much machine for me, price and size wise. Does anyone have an opinionion on the 2500 series cub cadet? I believe it's available with a 42 inch deck and supports a hydraulic tiller. The 2500's are a lot less money.
jrm I have a cub cadet lt 1050 with around 25 hours on it. This has to be the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. I run a cattle ranch and the house compound is around 2.5 acres of various types of grasses, Bermuda,Buffel, etc... The previous mower was a John Deere and I have to admit it did perform a little better, but not much. This newer Cub Cadet has to have some work done to it EVERY time it is needed. Spindle replacement 3 times has to be the most troubling. This mower is mowing level ground with no unseen obstuctions to hit but it still mows uneven and notoriously gaps. The spindles are greased before each use but still lock up. The John Deere constantly had electrical issues but were more easily repaired versus spindle issues. We have several very large agricultural tractors (150 hp and up) and the John Deere out performs the Case and Ford/New Holland on every level with the excetion of arguments caused by who gets to drive the Deere and not be stuck on the Case or Ford. Which leads me to by thoughts on a so called "Lawn Tractor". My larger Agricultural equipment are designed for very hard and rough use. All "lawn tractors" I have been associated with seem to be designed for half acre and under manicured lawns so somebody in the suburbs can say they own a "tractor". After skimming through most of the posts it seems a lot of folks are mowing large areas where they would benefit more by purchasing equipment designed for that use. Commercial grade equipments such as Scag or Exmark. The upfront price is more but when it winds up being the last mower you ever purchase it seems return on investment is higher. When this peice of junk Cadet broke down a few weeks back I borrowed my Fathers Scag Commercial Zero turn and was blown away by performance. It seems to actually be designed for mowing large areas quickly, neatly, and with little or no maintenance. He has had his Scag for 5 years and the only thing done to the mower is routine maintenance. I am now in the process of ordering a Scag and sinking the Cub Cadet in our Bass lake.
Aileen I have just under an acre with a hill in the back and am considering a Toro LX 427. I would also get the snow thrower attatchment for the driveway as it is fairly long. Anyone have any experience with Toro riding mowers?
Jeff I have worked on equipment for 15+ years. The truth of the matter is to find a dealer you can trust and not buy the bottom of the line just for price. Everyone's top end is decent, the low end is where the controvesy comes in. The "MTD" Cub Cadets are the same quality as the cheapest JDs. I am not sure what the best brand is, but buying cheap won't get you anywhere. Keep in mind if you forget about your tractor over the winter, 2-3 weeks is what you can expect for repair time since everyone else has also forgotten about them as well. This isn't your dealer's fault, it is yours.
Guy My cub cadet has broken about every third time I use it. The local authorized service told me that warranty work requires three weeks in the shop but if I wanted to pay for service it would be next day. The only thing that works well on this 1042 is the Kohler engine. When I wrote the factory they declined to answer.

I am curious how many people out there are having ongoing problems with their cub cadets.

SuperDave I have owned a John Deere 160 sence 1987......23 years old without anything more than oil,lube, and blade sharpening.... plus a battery. It still runs like new. I am purchasing an x300 for a club I belong to and expect to get the same service out of it. Stay away from the big box store mowers (JD and others). A good quality mower will give you 3 times the life if you take care of it. You get what you pay for.
herb i have a 4 year old CC 2186 with just under 500 hours. It has been meticulously maintained.
It recently started throwing oil from the engine. The repair center said that the Kohler engine (Command 22 hp) has had a lot of this problem and advised that rebuilding would not be worthwhile.

pat i have a cub with 536 hours on it (06 slt 1550 25hp kolher) replaced fuel line and key switch i keep it clean and serviced , its been great . cc or jd dont matter much if you dont take care of it
Mike I have a '05 LX279, liquid cooled, 4 wheel steer, bought new, and has 1296 hrs. on it, i cut 4 acres plus plow in the winter with it. The Kawasaki engine is unbeatable, I have always used Valvoline syn-tec 10w30 oil and fram x-tra gaurd filter in it. I change in the fall and once mid-summer..doesn't use a drop of oil..It has the Tuff-Torq K62A transaxle..never a problem, I have changed the trans-axle filters twice, and change the oil every 2 years..never a problem..I run valvoline syn-tec 5w30 in the transaxle. The transaxle is produced in Tennessee but is owned by the Japanese, That's where I buy my filters from., So bascially JD has went to Japan for their drivetrains on their top-end models for a reason..Reliability, and performance..smart move if you ask me!
Mike Things to look at on the JD's at the big box stores...check out the front axle, big box-stamped steel, JD's 300 series and up..cast iron check out the diameter of the axle shafts coming out of the transaxle 3/4" at the big box store, 1" plus at the JD store..300 series and up. the lower end JD's are made by MTD. JD 300 series and up are made here in Horicon, Wisconsin I should know, I have worked here for 17 years, maybe that is why I am partial to JD??plus a get a pretty descent discount too!
Ryan K I have appox. an 1.5 acrs. of land. Im looking at buying either 2011 Cub C. LTX 1040 or 1045 vs. the John D. D100 or D110. I guess everyone has an opinion, but does any one have some good pros and cons? Also, am I buying the same mower at Home Depot vs. the dealer? Thanks, Ryan
Jay Short answer...
The best lawn tractor for the money is the LTX1050 (kawasaki). I would also recommend the LTX1042 and SLTX1050

Long answer.....

I worked in the service department of a John Deere and a Cub Cadet dealer for about 15 years. I have always been partial to Deere. However, they took the company a different direction several years ago with the L Series and quality has taken a huge plunge along with dealer support and warranty support. Most recently they have also managed to ruin their zero turn mowers when they discontinued the 727 and 737.

Cub Cadet is not without it's problems but I would not buy a John deere L, LA, or D series under any circumstances. Nor would I purchase any of their residential Zero turn mowers.

Their problems are:
- Blade Spindles (bearing housing) - Our one store dealership sold about 300 of these per year. Deere generally considers these "wearable items" that are not covered under warranty.
- Decks - If you ever hit anything harder than a blade of grass your deck will probably bend where your spindles bolt on and cause it to cut unevenly.
- Engine - Despite what they say the "Deere" engine powered by briggs is just a briggs and the quality is no better. I saw more failures on these engines that I ever did the Kohlers.
- Steering - Their steering gears wear out all the time. This is also a problem with the Cub, but it cost about 1/3 the price to repair the cub as the Deere.

As for Cub Cadet I would advise going with the LTX series rather than the LT because they have a transmission that is easier to operate, easier to work on and has fewer failures.

I am far from being a fan of the Kohler Courage engine, but I rarely see catostrophic failures with them compared with the briggs Deere uses.

Compared to the Deere the cub cadet has a superior deck, engine, and spindle assembly. They are also easier for the dealer to work with meaning your dealer will be more likely to get your problem covered under warranty.

jay I forgot to mention the hood in my previous post. Purchase any John Deere mower and there is a very high probability that a hood purchase is also in your future. When that time comes be prepared to spend $300 or more.

John Deere advertises that they won't dent, rust or fade. What they don't tell you is that they will crack (to pieces) instead of dent, won't last long enough to fade, and you will be on your 2nd or 3rd hood by the time the Cub Cadet hood begins to rust.

jay may not still hold true..but at though they are the same machine, they are NOT assembled in the same factory.

when i was employed at a John Deere dealer we had problems with the Home Depot machines that we never did see with the dealer units. of course we had our certified mechanics check them over before they were delivered as opposed to a HS kid the dealer down the road hired to "setup" the Home Depot units.

btw...you will pay the same price for the unit at the dealer as Home Depot or Lowes.

jay Just know that the X300 is not near the mower your old 160 is. Thinner deck, cheaper spindles, cheaper transaxle, thinner blades.

In 15 years at a JD store I saw 2 or 3 old 160 style decks replaced and those were old and rusted thru.. In the last 2 years I saw 10 to 15 X300 decks replaced because they bent.

Billy Had a MTD that decided to go swiming! Yep was backing up near my pond and itwould not stop! Luckily I was not near the deep end where I might have been drowned had I became entangled with the mower.
I tore the tranaxel down and found bolts in the unit. The differential cage had came apart, thus loss of control! Result severe condimnation of MTD to say the least!
Replaced with JD L130 result after 326 hours the hydro trans has failed! The same trans was in my neighbors Husqavarna he had 280 hours on it. The units are unserviceable, your screwed.
Bottom line if you can not add fluid or change a filter in a hydro trans it is a unit with a death wish regardless of the manufacturer. The manufacture came blame the transmission all they want but they are the culprits that chose profit over quality.
I am looking at the IH Cadet 2000 model servicable trans but in a very quick look I see quality control lacking. Hood luvers ragged nice way for a cut. Paint in some areas not fully covered. Mower drive belt 5/8" nice but why drop to 1/2" for the mandrel belt? GRRR
Perhaps the Japanese orange machine should be the grade that America should strive for.

lawnman From Billy:
"The manufacture came blame the transmission all they want but they are the culprits that chose profit over quality"

The culprits are the consumers who value low cost over quality and purchase the L130 type units. You get what you pay for.

BTW...the Cub LTX and SLTX mowers have rebuildable transmissions....the Deere's do not.

Alan In consumer reports the top rated riding mowers are the CC & JD. I seem to find a lot more JD used in this area of the country. Since I am have become disabled I can't take care of our lawn with a push mower, so I can maintain with a riding mower. I didn't know there was a difference between the box store and dealer units. Is there a way by series such as jd 111, lt133, stx38, 214, 1045, lt155, etc. to know where they come from box or dealer? It may be just by serial numbers, can any one answer that please. I know most of the older machines are from a dealer, before there were any box stores.
jay Deere - Any LT, LX, STX, GX, or GT model would come from a dealer. L, LA, X, D or 100 series could come from either. At one time the units going to the box stores were assembled in a separate facility even though they were "identical" but I don't know s/n ranges to give you.

Cub - Any LTX models would have come from a dealer. LT models could be either. I don't know a way of finding out unless you have a dealer run a particular s/n thru cubs warranty system.

Chuck I have a 2003 L120 maintained to the max. It is junk. Trans is now the next thing to go with 220 hrs. I have read online that they go every 200-250 hr on flat terrain. There goes another 530.00 if i do it myself. More JD junk, looking at Cub and Kubota.
Rolfe This is a really great forum. Just what I was looking for. I have a 15 year old Husquarna YTD180 with a 46" deck, 18HP Kohler Engine. It's a good machine and runs well but I absolutely hate the deck as it clogs terribly on my rural 1.5 acres. I want a bigger and better machine and have been looking at the CC GT2544 and comparing it to the JD X320 with a 48" deck. Actually, after reading Consumer Reports (May of 2011) I would have considered a Craftsman but I can't get one serviced anywhere near my small town. I don't actually cut my grass. I have an elderly gentleman do it, but I need a machine that will cut the grass in all kinds of conditions, give me a minimum of problems, keep it's value over the years, haul a large cart of manure, and maybe blow some snow. I'm leaning towards the JD becuase although the CC is a lower price, it has been discontinued. It looks good, I like the deck and the solid transmission, but I also think the KW engine in the Deere is better than the Kohler. It's quieter and I like the fact that Deere has a reputation to uphold. It's actually a dealer. The other "dealer" in town is not really a dealer, it's more like a Farm & Fleet. So I think I will go with the X320 unless someone can tell me why I should spend a grand more for the X500 line. Thanks.
Les Going CC here because our first JD is over 23 years old and still running. Our newest JD GX 345 has been a repair nightmare. This last repair being the end of the line for JD. I was even recommended not to buy JD by a JD dealer. Ours this time broke the shaft out of the top of the hydrostat transmission. Oh yes price is around $2500.00 for the tranny and that is not installed. JD has slipped a lot as far as I am concerned, cheaper bearings, bad electronics and just not the quality they were in years past.
B D Shorter I've had a GT 245 20HP V-Twin 60 inch since April of 2004 and every year one of my belts are chewed up and spit out, not just broke, but stripped, chewed up and spit out and sometimes it happens twice a summer. When I turn on the blade, it squeals like a pig. We spent $445.00 in April getting it serviced and worked on and this was the biggest problem and it just spit out another belt into about 5 pieces. Can someone help me before we decide to go back to Craftsman? This is the worst lawnmower we have purchased in our 37 years of marriage and the 1st John Deere we ever had.
Ted Fuson Had great service from a Cub Cadet 2035. Loved it. Only had a 38 inch deck, so I bought a Cub Cadet 2550 with a 50 inch deck. Great machine. No power steering, but exercise is good for me at 67 years of age. Mow 2.65 acres. Had two fuses blow this year...don't know why. Had throttle assemble come loose as screws vibrated loose and fell out. Had outstanding service from Cub Cadet of Culpeper, VA. No John Deere at same price can match my CC2550. Am looking at the new 2154LE, It's a great machine. Friend has one and loves it.
Pat Retiring my JD LX178 after nearly 20 years of service. Mowing, snow plowing, towing loads of kids for rides, aeorating, you name it. The first, and only service issue I've ever had: replaced carb last year. Everything original, even tires. Doesn't have an hour meter, but if I had to guess, has to be north of 2000. My only complaint: the seat doesn't adjust back far enough for two grandkids to sit on my lap while mowing. 2011 X320 being delivered this week. Consider a Cub? Why?
reno ok folks, here we go!!!!! i researched this til i went almost blind. i bought the cub 1046 with the courage kohler 23 hp. it is a awesome machine. have had it 3 years now. not one problem. i had a craftsman rider with the 20 horse kohler command. both motors run outstanding. if you look at the jd in the same price range as the 1046 you will find that the deck and frame all spec out the same as for thickness and assembly. the drive parts give cub the advantage with more durable spindels and shaft power. cub gave extra things like the deck wash and a better steering and turn. now here is the kicker for you all.MAINTENANCE..... if you grease the deck spindles the manual says you won't have to replace them. just like the front wheels and front steering.
reno now, with that being said use premium quality oils and grease. not the cheap crap. i use synthetic oil and synthetic grease. if you maintain your machine regardless of jd or cc you will have great service for years to come. i put all my machines to the test all the time and have no problems. tune it and grease it. these are 2 of the best machines you can buy for lawn service.
reno oh, and one more thing. the cc was $460.00 cheaper in price. and a extra year in warranty.
Jon I'm considering the purchase of a new JD riding mower/lawn tractor. I have a few steep hills so this tractor must have a user serviceable automatic (hydro) transmission. (not factory sealed).
Which JD residential models have a user serviceable automatic (hydro) transmission? (I've been through the web site and if this info is available it is well hidden.)

Jon Is this forum still in use?
reno none of the starter models do. you have to start at the 300 series

jay Consider a cub LTX1050KW...why you ask - because it has a heavier deck, better spindles and better transmission at a cheaper price.

PopsBirt I have owned Cub Cadet for over 30 years and still use a 1970 Model to haul trailers around the farm. The JD's at lowes are just not what yours and my father drove, neither is the Cub, so with that said, be careful and do your research. If you really want to step up a notch look at the 4wd Kubota. It's more money, but you get what you pay for.
LJ From so many of the high rating JD's come from people that work for John Deere. I have a brother-in-law that has owned nothing but JD for over 20 years but his comment on his last two were that they are not as good as the older models. Making them cheaper and the BS engine is not nearly as good as the Kohler. I have 1.3 acres and have been comparing and at this time I'm sold on the Cub 1046 with twin cylinder Kohler. Kusgvarna also uses the Kohler engine. From past experience if you serve your vehicle (tractor, car, or truck) it will last for years with very little maintenance. My 1994 Dodge 1500 360 V8 has 196,000 miles and runs as good as the day I drove it home - example of servicing the product. The last three lawnmowers I have owned came with BS engines and they were just what the two initials can stat for.
donnie Amazing some of the stories I've read on here. Having worked for Lowes, I can tell you that the John Deere mowers sold there are the same ones sold at the JD dealer. Granted, Lowes sells the JD consumer line of mowers, not the commercial line. All JD's sold at the Lowes I worked at was assembled by a mechanic from the local JD dealer. My son has a LA110, with the 19.5hp Briggs, that he has owned for four years, with no problems. There seems to be some misconception about the quality of the Briggs engines. Having been a small engine mechanic for 15+ years, I would put a Briggs up against any other engine. I have a 14hp 42" cut Murray, that I bought new in March 1994, that I still use today with no problems other than normal maintenance. It cuts my grass weekly on my 1 acre lot. The Briggs engine on it uses no oil to this day, and whenever I have to buy another mower, I will buy one with the Briggs again. My Dad has a Cub with the Kawasaki engine on it, and I do feel it is a good mower. But my next one will be a JD. With a Briggs engine!!!
Tall in the Saddle I currently have a JD LT 166 (1999) which has been a good mower, but I'm looking at a Cub Cadet Z Force S 54 ZTR or John Deere ZTR or John Deere X324. I mow a little over 1.5 acres with quite a bit of landscaping to mow around. Any suggestions. I have read that the X324 in difficult to serivce the deck on your own.
kars I had a MTV lawn tractor which fried at 11 years
wanted a better quality so this doesnt happen again
purchased John Deere in 2005
started it up this spring 2012 and needed a new battery. ok got that and it ran a few times around the 7/8 acre yard and POP smoke etc blew out
fried
took it to a JD dealer and it has now taken 5 weeks (my lawn is a foot high now) to give me the problem
they found a rodent nest in the fin/sheilds which built up pressure and heated up exploding the oil out the filter. I look back at the lawn and there is the lines of oil leak on my path.

NOW what, do I replace motor for probably 1k or buy new.
either way I cant afford, both of us are unemployed.
sent a letter to JD and will see if they can help me out here.
MTC 11 years, JD 6 years?????

Stephen Hello, here is my 2 cents on this discussion, If your going to compare JD to CC you have to compare apples to apples. The 1000 series CC is comparable to the "D" series JD where as the 2000 series CC is comparable to the X series JDs.
I have done some extensive research on both brands and all models, the GTX2100 CC is an incredible machine, it is capable of tilling a garden, hauling rocks and logs as well as cut grass. it has an electric deck hoist as well as power steering. These features surpass the comparison to the X300 series because the JD dealer stated that if your going to till a garden your looking at a X530 series not the X300. To get the same features in the GTX2100 (power steering, electric deck hoist, tilling capabilities heavy hauling, the price tag for the X530/X540 is $6800-7200, where as the price tag for the GTX2100 Cub is only $4200. I personally cannot afford a garden tractor that I really want currently and did more research between the Cub 1000 and JD D series. Between these models, your getting a better tractor for the money with the Cub. the 1000 series has a standard 9 gauge frame opposed to a 12 gauge JD D series. this coupled to better deck options, and Kolher engines with the cub over the Briggs with the D series I chose a LTX1045 cub (this was the most tractor I could afford in my budget range)currently to run until I can trade it in for a true Garden tractor for real yard work. As of right now I'm very happy with the performance of the Cub, I have 1.1 acres of flat land, but I also understand that this is only a lawn tractor for light to medium duty use. The GTX2100 is looking like the garden tractor I will be shooting for, since the 7K price tag of the X500 series is a little to steep for my budget.

Bruce Ethridge Can't say much other than I can't wear out my JD 112L. It is now 27 years old and I mow a little over 1/2 acre. I have abused the heck out of this mower by mowing a lot of other properties that had grass (weeds) way to tall for my little mower. It came with a 1 cylinder Kawasaki engine and has a hydrostatic transmission (which I have never touched). I had to replace a pully because of bad bearings and a pto switch and belts one time. That's it. I think this thing will outlive me. I keep it in a storage shed but have had it so long and used it so much that I'm going to have to replace the seat. The John Deere dealership will still take trade-ins and they can still get parts for this old thing. In fact they had the pully and pto in stock. Where will you get parts for any other mower when it is 27 years old?
Gordon McGee I too have had problems with a new X304. First was a leak on the oil seal for the engine output shaft. Next the battery failed. Then a part came loose on the deck that destroyed the belt. Next, the rubber tie down straps on the grass catcher rotted and broke. Now the thin plastic material on the seat cushion is broken in several places. Also, the plastic hood has split down the middle. I am 71 years old and am known for taking good care of tools and equipment. I still use a pistol type soldering iron that I bought 48 years ago. I still use a circular saw that I bought 43 years ago. Many years ago, I bought a John Deere mower that lasted 22 years. This new X304 started falling apart after a few months of use at my own residence. It has not been used commercially. The John Deere quality is completely gone. Don't buy one.
larry magnus I have a jd z830a it has 128 hrs, the 1st time it broke it had 32 hrs its been in the shop 5 times and it needs to go again. I went and bought a kubota. I wouldn't haul off another jd if you gave it to me
PopsBirt I purchased a CUB SLT1550 in 2006 from the local CUB dealer and it has been am excellent machine. Have 130 hours on it and still on the original belt. Cut one acre weekly and bag it...
I change the Oil each season and use Mobil One Synthetic and replace the Oil and Air filter, make sure the filltings are greased, etc. I looked at many brands and would have purchased the Kobota if money was not the issue. Nothing compares to that machine, however it is for lottery winners. Overall, I believe it's all in how you maintain your product as they are both built to last several years with proper maintenance.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Compact Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: