NORTRAC TRACTOR

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Compact Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!
Search This Message Board:

NORTRAC TRACTOR

RON HARRIS GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON
Jim : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Ron,

Have you actually looked at and drove one of these tractors? I too am in the market for a compact tractor and took a look at a number of chinese tractors because they appeared to be a good value. That is until i saw them and drove them. There's a lot of refinement that needs to be done to the chinese tractors in my opinion before they are a good value. I have decided to go with a gray market Yanmar. A lot more quality, and bang for the buck. I'm looking at the YM2220D which has the power shift system. The ones i've driven i was very impressed with. Just food for thought.
Jim

Peter Solum If you are interested in seeing a video on the tractor or talking with an owner or two, please send me an e-mail or give me a call (952-808-6607). Sincerely, Peter Solum
: GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Jim Ron, Did you end up buying a Nortrac? I have been looking at them, but have never tried one. What do you think?

: GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

D. R. Bellew : : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

: Ron,

: Have you actually looked at and drove one of these tractors? I too am in the market for a compact tractor and took a look at a number of chinese tractors because they appeared to be a good value. That is until i saw them and drove them. There's a lot of refinement that needs to be done to the chinese tractors in my opinion before they are a good value. I have decided to go with a gray market Yanmar. A lot more quality, and bang for the buck. I'm looking at the YM2220D which has the power shift system. The ones i've driven i was very impressed with. Just food for thought.
: Jim

I've read quite a bit about the Chinese tractors, and it appears that the DongFeng and TaskMasters are the only ones worth looking at. I agree with Jim, the Japanese "gray market" machines offer a lot of quality for the money. I took that route with a Hinomoto E18D.

Ray Dean Auction Co. of Dothan, AL has a beautiful YM2610 (30HP 4x4) for around $7,500.00. The POC for that tractor is Jerry Dean at (334)692-3164. He can set you up with a variety of attachments at a really good price.

DRB

Louise Have you seen the Siromer Chinese tractor? If so what did you think?
Greg Richardson I purchased a tractor, 20 hp with loader on or about 3/31/03. the first day I used it, it started blowing coolant out of the radiator.
I stopped and called technical service and he said he would contact the local service company, they cam out and said that
The head gasket was blown and that the cylinder was badly damaged.
I talked with the store manager and he said he would replace tractor or upgrade to crawler type tractor.
I chose to upgrade and pay the difference.
I picked up the crawler on 4/24 and took it to the farm. Within the first hour I had to dismantle and free up a stuck valve.
Within the 3 hours I had to replace battery, the paint started bubbling off of the muffler and was having a hard time getting it into gear and
Sometime when putting it into first gear would cause engine to bog down, taking it out of gear and putting it back in seemed to alleviate this problem.
Put about 4 hours on it 4/28/03, still having problems getting it into gear. Noticed on routine prestart check radiator was bubbling paint into the coolant.
Ran it for about 1 hour and it quit running, like it was out of diesel , got some diesel and when I went to put it in I noticed that the
Rubber cap inside the diesel cap had malted and disintegrated and was now in the gas tank and through out the engine.
On 4/29 I called brian schlup, by this time I am very dissatisfied and just want to return it for a full refund. He told me that that was not going to happen.
Told me that his boss would call me. Perry called about Ĺ hour later and we discussed the issues. I told him I was very dissatisfied with my purchase and would like
a refund and he started quoting that he would have it serviced and get it back to me. I explained that I would like a refund and that is the only thing that would make me happy, and he told me
that was definitely not going to happen. I told him he had a problem then , and he said it was not his problem, I hung up on him at that point.

zaga mohammed DEAR SIR.
WE ARE THE STE-GROUPE SPA SARL.BENIN AND WE RECIEVE A CONTRACT FROM THE MINISTARY OF INTERNATIONAL FUND FOR AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT BENIN TO SUPPLY THE TRACTORS IN QUANTITY PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY WITH YOUR PRICE LIST MODELS LIST TO ANEBLE US FORWARD SAME TO THEM FOR THEIR CONFIRMATION AND ORDER.
THANKS AND REGARDS.
MR.ZAGA.

zaga mohammed DEAR SIR.
WE ARE THE STE-GROUPE SPA SARL.BENIN AND WE RECIEVE A CONTRACT FROM THE MINISTARY OF INTERNATIONAL FUND FOR AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT BENIN TO SUPPLY THE TRACTORS IN QUANTITY PLEASE CONTACT US IMMEDIATELY WITH YOUR PRICE LIST MODELS LIST TO ANEBLE US FORWARD SAME TO THEM FOR THEIR CONFIRMATION AND ORDER.
THANKS AND REGARDS.
MR.ZAGA.

Greg : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I bought a 25 hp with front end loader, I love it. I have 10 acres of land and 3 miles of dirt raod. I also have a 4ft box blade and it keeps my pasture mowed and road smooth. I feel it is by far the best buy on the market!!
Greg
N. Ft. Myers Fl.

zane Why get a nortrac,jimna,or any other tractor made in China? There Junk! When you need a part
(& Trust me your going to)Where are you going to get it? Your sunk! I'M the vice Precident of a
Grain Elevator. And if your going to get a tractor get a nice John deere or a Case. Trust me there worth the Money!!

Tom Pike : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I own a Nortrac 204C and have had very good luck so far I farm 7 ac and really work it hard it cost me about 1/3 what a john deer would have i'm not knocking john deer but the saveing has been great and when i need another tractor well i will surely look at Nortrac or even Jinma again it's a great tractor for the money....tom pike

,mario : : : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

: : Ron,

: : Have you actually looked at and drove one of these tractors? I too am in the market for a compact tractor and took a look at a number of chinese tractors because they appeared to be a good value. That is until i saw them and drove them. There's a lot of refinement that needs to be done to the chinese tractors in my opinion before they are a good value. I have decided to go with a gray market Yanmar. A lot more quality, and bang for the buck. I'm looking at the YM2220D which has the power shift system. The ones i've driven i was very impressed with. Just food for thought.
: : Jim

: I've read quite a bit about the Chinese tractors, and it appears that the DongFeng and TaskMasters are the only ones worth looking at. I agree with Jim, the Japanese "gray market" machines offer a lot of quality for the money. I took that route with a Hinomoto E18D.

: Ray Dean Auction Co. of Dothan, AL has a beautiful YM2610 (30HP 4x4) for around $7,500.00. The POC for that tractor is Jerry Dean at (334)692-3164. He can set you up with a variety of attachments at a really good price.

: DRB

mario looked at the one similar to the nortrac was impressed how heavy the drivetrain is i would buy one over jd or kubota the price is good if you remember 15 years we were all leary of kubota the chinese tractor are cast iron transmission german desighn engine the germans invented the diesel rudolf diesel nor trac clains to have plenty of parts plus free shippin- i used to work for troybilt rototiller and we used to import parts from china and use japanese bearings HELLO
mark the nortrac tractors are very well built if john deere are so good why do they have the japanese make there tractors new holland too then they charge and arm and leg for parts 16 dollars for oil filter for my kubota can get same filter at walmart for 2.50 STP if john deere could get the chinese to build a tractor they would and charge you triple too nortrac claims to have all sorts of parts for there tractors the chinese tractors are built like 8n manual transmissions look how long they been around
Dennis : If you are interested in seeing a video on the tractor or talking with an owner or two, please send me an e-mail or give me a call (952-808-6607). Sincerely, Peter Solum
: : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

brian I just ordered 204c with loader and box blade from northern. I looked at them all and found by buying nortrac I saved $5000.00.They also offer 6 month parts and labor free and 5 year parts and labor for $1000.00. Thats still $4000.00 savings. Don't get me wrong the others are nice tractors just could not justify the money for what I need. To be used just around my home not to make a living with. I let everyone how I make out.

b

NCtim Has anyone here ever been to elementary school? I get the feeling that all these responses are from some Chinese guy selling junk tractors. If someone could actually spell correctly the responses might have some weight.

Anyone here actually speak English as a first language?

Danny I like the comment about the education, I have also noticed the lack of. I recently purchased the 20 hp 4wd, I have used it twice to mow my 10 acre lot. I have no complaints yet, besides the fuel indicator pieces being in the bottom of the tank when it arrived. I called them and they sent a replacement within two days, I guess you can not ask for more than that. I guess the only thing I have not liked is the lack of springs or shocks in the seat, it is very bumpy if you are not on a flat surface. I did notice that the adjustment screw for lowering/raising the top leg of the three point attachment fell off and was destroyed my my mower, probably my fault for not checking every bolt before using. I hope the following information helps, good luck. Danny
tony :My friend got the 20 hp, it's been in the shop with 4 wheel drive problems 3 times in 6 months.
It just broke again for the same thing and now ,even though he got the extended warranty they refuse to fix it saying he is missusing it. It is a piece of garbage. a 10,000 dollar lawnmower.

Gar I've had my NT 204 NorTrac for over a year and have worked the hell out of it. No problems other than a leaking hydraulic connection on the front loader. Best buy for the money IMHO.

Tom : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Tom : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I boutht a 30HP 4X4 last fall. I have used it with a mower and a box scraper and haven't had any problems with it. So far I think it was a goode buy.

nospelling Now we must worry about proper speling to post because the spelling polease will not believe you if you can't spell. Please get a life no one but you is worried about the spelling of a post. Most people are more interested in the content and not worried about proper spelling. Please note the previous misspellings are on purpose. LOL :)

nospelling Ron I used to work in retail sales and whenever anyone would ask me a generic question like how does this model work? OR Is this model any good? i would usually turn it around with several questions for them. Your answer depends on what you want to do with it.
if you are going to plow 2000 acres I would say the nortrac 20hp is not up to par.
if you are going to push over trees with it then i would also say no its not up to par
if you have a small 40 acre farm and need to scrape your gravel or dirt road and till for your garden and move hay for your horses and dig post holes for fence then fine its a good all around small farm tractor that if kept up with routine maintenance and not negelcted or used beyond its limitations (i.e not abused) then it should last you a life time my neighbor has had one for about 5 years now and the only thing he has had to do was change oil, filter, and replace a hose that got punctured because of his own fault.
I have used it many times and am well pleased with it and suprised at how strong it was considering its a small farm tractor. My neighbor reccomends them and so would I. I am thinking of purchasing my own as well so I dont have to borrow my neighbors all the time.
Hope that helps you with your decision. I also hope I didn't misspell anything as then my post would have no wieght to it LOL :) MISSPELLED ON PURPOSE
Thanks

Kaye : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Dave : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I do not recommend the Nortrac. I bought a 20hp with front end loader and box scaper in April 2006. The hydrolic control joystick for the loader failed after 2 hours of operation. Took a month to get a replacement from Northern Tool. Now, after 13 hours of operation a loud, almost screaming noise, comes from the transmission every time I depress the clutch. All fluid level have been maintained properly from the day the tractor arrived. Have not been able to get hold of Northern to discuss the problem yet. It's still under the 6 months warrenty, so maybe it will be fixed before next spring. I'm assuming it will need to be shipped back to Northern for repair at my cost.

Charlie I purchased a NT-304 and the first thing that happened was bolts started to loosen and fall off the tractor. The steering cylinder worked loose and fell off and screwed up the bolts and they sent me another. The 3 point stopped working and it cost me $500 to get it hauled to a repair shop as no one near me would work on a foreign tractor. Bolts had worked loose in the 3 point causing the hydraulic to bypass. Part of the time the fuel gage works and some times it donít. The toe control on the front end loosened and had to be reset. I have to check all the bolts and use a thread lock to keep them tight. It is a tough little tractor and if it had not been a 4X4 Iíd have stuck it a dozen times as I have my other tractors in the past. It was cheep enough even though I had to pay to get it shipped to my ranch in California. Would I recommend a Nor Track? Thatís hard to say, lots of luck.

Phil Haffcke also looking looking at nortrac, and it is because of price plus northern tool is only 30 miles from home, the previous comments are helpful seem to be about half and half and that's about normal, I still haven't made up me mind yet, there's an outfit out in TX. offering a hell of a deal on a total package 24hp tractor with front end loader, box blade, bush hog, post hole digger, rake, plus 16ft trailer to haul it all on, for around 12,500 for all, but there about 1000mi from me and what if I need service. anyways I'm still looking. PS I don't look at the horrible spelling as much as the shitty grammar, and yes people living it this great country of ours needs to speak good English...
John I would argue that anyone who CAN spell is obliviously not a product of the American Public School system!

Blake : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Maybe your school system is shitty, but i would have to argue different, sorry. OMFG, lol, JK! if u old farts dont understand that stuff then u obviously dont kno instant messenger lingo..... u dont hav to spell correctly to understand wat peeple are saying to u, just like im doing u kno wat im saying u just for some reason do not believe im smart or sumthin. oh well, as for the tractor, i just came across this site lookin for info on em, and i dont wanna take a 50/50 chance on spending hard earned money for a potential piece of ass. so i would rather get a massyfergusson or a newholland, spend a little more, but get a better tractor, when it comes to gettin a tractor i believe in getting a tractor, not an oversized push mower...chinese products are a lil diff than japanese, instead of being junk there just absolute shit... and even if u get a john deere, there all imported now, up to a certain HP rating size, so were screwed. ne ways l8r guys, hope i dont sound like a total tard for typing this way, even though im a college grad and id prefer talking in and easier way, its not an iq test its a friggan tractor forum!!!!!!!! L8R

Ronald : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I have never seen such a piece of junck!!! It has been broken down several times in the field same problem with no support.. We have had the clutch fixed 2 times and now this will be three.. The mechanic there told us "there very busy and this is not a service center" "Come back next year...Well our lawn is up to our kness and the tractor is still in the garage taking up space!! This has been our worst investment in our lives and we have been married 33 years!!! Good luck!! A sucker is born every day!!

RonF Thanks to all of the folks that took the time to respond to Ron's question. I too am in the market for a small tractor w/loader. This forum has been very helpful to me.

Thanks again,
ron

Wm. : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON
BEWARE.
I am a owner of an NT-204 purchased new from dealer in 2002. Also purchased 5 year VAC extended warranty.
Tractor has less than 400 hours. more like 120 but this too broke shortly following purchase.
Thought I had blown head gasket this past winter when I went to prepare it for the spring. Upon disassembly found the block to have a crack. When I attempted to purchase a replacement as my warranty had just run out, I learned that they no longer make or stock parts for the two cylinder models. Parts supply is limited to what is in inventory, which is next to nothing.
Now I cannot even get them to call me back to instruct me in the procedure of replacement with a three cylinder or if that is even possible.
So I now own a $6000.00 piece of scrap metal.
Want to but it for parts as everything else is in excelent condition?
By the way I placed a similar message on the NorTrak web comments site, but they have probabily removed it. I also placed one on the Northern Tool site as well.
It was a great little tractor when it was operational.

John b : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

John C. Bossolt : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I just got my 204 Nortrac 20 hp 4 X 4 with loader, canopy, ag tires on 7/12/07. I'm thrilled! The little mill is plenty powerful, given the transmission gear-down. Be careful not to churn up lawn you might like while pushing something heavy! I just changed the oil yesterday: there is some confusion about capacities. The Nortrac manual is wrong: oil is 0.92 gal, not 1.6. Toss the book aside and stick with the forums. Just service the puppy and it'll be great; at least I hope so.

Maynard Krebs I just bought a new Jinma 22 hp 4x4. Paid $7000 with FEL. Jinma makes the Farmpro and Nortrack and some others, just different brands. I thought it was a good deal. Have been box blading 1/2 mile of gravel and it uses less than 1/2 gal/hr. Very good pulling power. Creeper shifter was stuck on delivery. Will take off the top cover to investigate. Probably positioned wrong. Read the manuals carefully. Initial set up, fluids, and adjustments only as good as the assembler. Check all bolts yourself as well as fluids, etc. Change fluids as Chinese OEM leave something to be desired. Very nice spring seat and canopy. FEL lifted green oak log 12' x 24" no problem. Drug green oak trunk 20' x 3 feet.
Chuck Hoffman I've also been checking out the NT-204. I'm a little confused on the engine, some people are talking 2 cyl. and some say 3. Did they make a change? Anybody know for sure?
Harley Grant Please, I need as much information as I can get on "Dongfeng" DFAM or Taskmaster tractors and implements Made by Dongfeng Agricultural Machinery
Group Co. Ltd.

Anyone, PLEASE Help

Craig : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I have owned a 25 HP 4X4 tractor for almost 2 years. I have replaced the clutch, four wheel drive, starter, steering mechanism, and had the front wheel fall off and had to replace all that. I think the tractor works well when its working. The problem is you never know when its going to work or not. In fact my tractor broke down recently and is sitting in the field broken down. My tractor is used on a 5 acres hobby farm. It is not overworked. All the maintence has been done when it was required. The problem with this tractor is there are no service center usually in the area that tractors are used. The parts are hard to come by and the tech persons at nortrac are not very helpful. True the tractor is cheap but you get what you pay for. Would I buy another one, I doubt it.

wgzloj nldq xfrdniklp argyewzp kewlfgdj ylakf daub ctrunfqb dkre
Steve : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

These units are a bargin until you need parts or service. If you buy with the idea of running it till it dies and then scrap it, you will not be dissapointed. If you want a unit that you can buy parts for and which can be repaired for many years, buy a Deere or New Holland.

Paul Rumberger Do you need some good spas? Find your information here.

www.spas.bz

Lev Reading the comments are revealing.
Be ware: you get what you paid for!

I purchased a Kubota 295 DT (29.5 HP 4WD)with a loader.
With regular maintenance it IS always ready to go.
The most reliable machine I ever owned. And, it barely consumes any fuel!
I thought all tractors were created just as dependable.

It scares me to read all the problems with NorTrac. I was thinking about one of their 30 HP crawler tractors because nobody else has a small size machine that could be operated in forest management.

By the way, I bought that Kubota in 1982.

Hitlery Clintler I bought a Mitsubihi 16HP with front end loader a year ago from a Chinese "remanufacturer" supposably rebuilt from the ground up. It breaks down every day, and not small but big things. Broken steering gears, siezed steering knuckles, cracking bell housing.... I Have a machine lathe made in China as well. Very poor manufacturing, no warrantee support....the same story.
I would not trust any big ticket item manufactured in Communist China. Parts are very hard to get, the warrantees are fraudulent, service a sham.

superheavyhaul : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

don't even think about buying from northern tool. Northern tool will not stand behind it. AS the other person purhased a NB3500 Craler so did I in 10 hours of using it it eat a starter, alt, and a reg. then took off the metal on the right front where the blade arm goes up and down. I found the blade to be out of by almost 2" like the other person I called and was just igged until the wart. had ran out and then they called wanting me to pay for all. now @ 99 hours the clutch is out and you have to go over the crawler over 5 hours and retighten all the bolts. This crawler and Northern are just plain junk go buy a real mach. You be happy you did

tom neese one word... junk. i am so unhappy with mine. huge waste of money, dont do it... i got mine on march 5th, major isses, went to shop, there for over a month, then back to me still broken. keep throwing parts at it and still not working...will not exchange, just make me repair, probobly until it is out of warranty then give me the boot.
be warned!!!

CTOA For those with a Chinese tractor or thinking about purchasing one, you should visit http://www.ctoa.net the Chinese Tractor Owners Association. It is a great support site with answers and help for all things related to the Chinese Tractor.

Gene I've got the NT254, 3 cylinder, 25 HP unit with front end loader. The Chinese metric threading of bolts is unbelieveably low tech. The quality of Chinese steel is sub-standard. I've had my Lincoln Arc Welder out to fix some issues. However, since I've not plowing 40 acres and use the tractor very little on my 12 acres, I consider it to have been a good deal for me. I would not recommend it to a "real" farmer. Tech support from the Burnsville, MN plant has been excellent. When I requested the old style fuel tank that would accept a sending unit, they mailed me one immediately...no charge. I told them about their shortcoming on the rear wheel lock-up and sent them pictures of the "fix" and they sent me a $100 gift certificate. As with all things, you do get what you pay for...sometimes. I need a tractor to maintain 700 feet of gravel road. This one fills the bill. I've gained access to my septic tank with the FEL, too! Sure beats hand diggin'! I felled a large, dead sycamore tree this year and the NT disposed of the carcass efficiently. With any equiptment, it's always good to be able to work on it. If you're not mechanically inclined, even a Deere will give you trouble! $10,000 spent for my use is far superior to $60,000!

chris Got a Siromer (rebatched Jinma)lots of trouble only after 400hrs, clutch, leaking seals , startermotors gone, shuttle shift warranty zero!. Bought secondhand Shibaura probably 15 years old but ten times better and more reliable as the Siromer.

windwalker I bought a NorTrac 25 hp that I use just to pull a 5' finish mower and use it with a snow plow for a 10 acre farm on the river so most of it is water or trees. From day one I have had a terrible time starting the tractor and have had to replace the injectors, drain the fuel tank and now I have a rod slapping in the engine. This tractor has 48 hours on it and I know another owner in a town close to me that has had many repairs on his with only 38 hours on it. Pay the extra money because the value only counts if you're getting a value for the difference. I wish I would have bought a more reliable New Holland or a Ford. I used to be worried about the Chinese but I am now convinced that we don't have anything to worry about as far as there technical abilities. And as far as service goes, they didn'y even have a service center in my area until I was out of warranty and then they will give you a run around to try and get any help. Steer Clear!!!
John P : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Ron, I too am looking into the purchase of a small tractor, As my 1977 Murray 36 inch cut riding lawnmower can't seem to pull, or push that much due to the light chassis.. It only weighs about 400 lbs but I mainly used it to mow, and plow my driveway, I pushed alot of gravels with it and it seemed to do fine... But in winter its horrible... its all it can do to propel itself forward.. Of course, this is due to the wimpy single wheel pull rearend and the turf-respecting tires.. Its only a 1977 model and we have a hard time finding good parts for it.. The deck keeps rotting off, and tires, and what not... It has over 24000 hours on it, and doesen't smoke, and doesen't use oil.. The only thing we ever did was change the air cleaner once, and change the oil every 25 hours on the engine.. Its only an 11 horsepower briggs and stratton, but who can complain with that kind of service? I would not reccomend a tractor in which you think you can't get parts for, or one in which you can't rely on. Get something strong, mass produced, and reliable.... We also bought a newer lawnmower, A yard man, This one does fine, but we already had to replace the muffler, the tranny is howling in high gears, and the battery went bad after 2 months of service... Of course, they only gavea 30 day warrenty.. I hope I helped :)

Fred : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

STOP AND LISTEN! I went for the price and financing and bought a Nortrac NT-304C. WOULD NOT DO IT AGAIN! I have about 90 hours on it and most of it was cutting grass. During the 90 hours and in order: Canopy caught wind and cracked during shipping, extra oil filter supplied with tractor was incorrect, Brakes hardly worked - had to adjust tighter, Hydraulic Filter Housing cracked and fell off, Glowplug Indicator Light blew, Can't see guages at night even with instrument lights on, Transmission pops out of low range and into neutral backing up a hill, Chain Hooks in back near PTO were too tall and hit accessory driveshaft universal assembly - had to grind hooks down, Fluid leak front left axle by wheel, Transmission pops out of 3rd gear driving forward uphill, bolts loosening near waterpump and leaking antifreeze, Dash Switches are positioned right near your knees and constantly getting bumped and pushed on even with seat all the way back, Throttle Lever keeps loosening, Back Utility Light housing loose and shaking - had to dissasemble and tap rivets tighter, 3 point Height Lever rides against your leg - I put an angle on it to position it further out, Fuel Tank Cap a bitch to get off - plastic seems to tighten, will try a little grease, ....

In all fairness Northern has responded but they don't have certified service centers so local dealers don't have the experience or the desire to work on these tractors. Springers is a local dealer and service center for New Holland with multiple locations. Their 1st attempt to repair the transmission failed. Northern is sending the entire back end assembly for replacement to help me get going again.

I will say that the tractor starts right up in warm and cold temperatures immediately. It's unbelievable. Other than that there isn't much good I can say.

Fred
TOP1PERFORMER@netscape.net

rdbrumfield : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I owned the dozer. Folks, do do not get one of these chinese machines because of the price. Like one person said, you get what you pay for, and in this case much less.

These machines are not much more than scrapiron reshaped to resemble a usable tool. The tracks have no bushings, easily come off, wear very fast as the pads and rails are one casting. I have to say the engines do run, most likely a design that has been proven in the 20's, but everything behind the flywheel is just not up to par.

I have had several tractors and three dozers. My favorite tractor was the 336D yanmar with the powershift tranny. Too bad JD made them quit shipping them to the US because the small JD's are made by yanmar and they totally outclassed the JD design. The worst was the chinese crawler, definetly the rust at the bottom of the barrel.

Paul J
Re: NORTRAC TRACTOR

There are a lot of pros and cons about Chinese tractors. Some good and some bad. I understand that a lot of the problems are with the smaller tractors. I own a 60hp Nortrac. Nortrac is just a name Northern Tool puts on a Foton tractor, evidently with the permission of the manufacture. The Fotons are gaining popularity due to the quality of the design. Here are some specs;

Powered by an EPA-II approved 4 cyl Perkins 1004 engine with balancer. German made LUK duel stage clutch with extream torque reserve ratio can be operated independently. Advanced and reliable DANA front drive axle. Equipped with a live PTO with a 3 point cat II hitch, 4 wheel drive, swing draw bar ans multi-way valve and 16+8 gearbox. 540/1000 PTO speeds, hydraulic steering, air conditioned cab with glass doors and windows.
My personal experience has showed me it's one hell of a machine with loads of power. I purchased a loader and backhoe for mine and, both of those are American made! Not all Chinese tractors are JUNK! If you strip all the sheet metal off this tractor, you'll swear your looking at a Massey. The sheet metal is thick, the paint is quality and the cab is as comfortable as you can get. I own 5 large tractors, JDs and Farmalls and this Foton tractor will not only keep up, but will surpass some of them.

Paul J

There are a lot of pros and cons about Chinese tractors. Some good and some bad. I understand that a lot of the problems are with the smaller tractors. I own a 60hp Nortrac. Nortrac is just a name Northern Tool puts on a Foton tractor, evidently with the permission of the manufacture. The Fotons are gaining popularity due to the quality of the design. Here are some specs;

Powered by an EPA-II approved 4 cyl Perkins 1004 engine with balancer. German made LUK duel stage clutch with extream torque reserve ratio can be operated independently. Advanced and reliable DANA front drive axle. Equipped with a live PTO with a 3 point cat II hitch, 4 wheel drive, swing draw bar ans multi-way valve and 16+8 gearbox. 540/1000 PTO speeds, hydraulic steering, air conditioned cab with glass doors and windows.
My personal experience has showed me it's one hell of a machine with loads of power. I purchased a loader and backhoe for mine and, both of those are American made! Not all Chinese tractors are JUNK! If you strip all the sheet metal off this tractor, you'll swear your looking at a Massey. The sheet metal is thick, the paint is quality and the cab is as comfortable as you can get. I own 5 large tractors, JDs and Farmalls and this Foton tractor will not only keep up, but will surpass some of them.

Peter Griffith I would suggest that you buy pass the NT 204c. To me it is underpowered and it is a parts nightmare. I keep replacing hydralic washers and after a year have had to over haul the raditor system due to over heating. Now I was raised on a farm with JD ford MF and so forth so I know my equipment. I bought this for the value. IT will run a 4 foot bush hog but will bind down easily. The bucket has no ass unless you go to 4wd. Go with a bigger motor and maybe you will do better

Slicktrix

I bought one and love it. We leveled dirt around a 2 acre pond and mowed several times. Loader works great. Great deal!!

John : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I bought a 25 hp front end loader and tractor and to tell you the honest truth it is and has always been a problem, it contantly is broken and I mean constantly. From the front axle to the alternator to knocks in the engine to starter problems and finally to the front driveshaft which they cannot repair because of a design flaw Do NOT BUY ONE NO MATTER HOW NICE IT LOOKS IT IS A PIECE OF JUNK

Randy C. : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Does anyone know who the manufacture of the TaskMaster? Also, does anyone know of where a Taskmaster can be purchased, or how to obtain parts for a Taskmaster 421E?

any infomation on the Taskmaster would be appericiated.

tom DONT DO IT, YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
seriosly. dont. service terrible, awful, the worst, wont honor warranty. they are just a jinma tractor, chinese junk. mine is a 25 hp with a loader and it is the biggest waste of 10 grand. i just finshed filing multiple complaints with gov. agencies if that tells you anything about this machine. looks great, thats where it ends. i dont want to see anyone else end up with my headaches. good luck!!

randy There is no reason to buy these tractors. when it comes to finding parts you will wish you would of went with a beter brand. I just got 2 newholland 95 hp with cab and air and payed the same price as the nortrac tractors. if you ask the dealer they will work with you on price. And there is a newholland dealer every where.

Wayne Pedersen Having a lot of trouble just trying to find a replacement oil filter and drag link ball joints for my NT304,30H.P.Oil filter on tractor now is Chinese,Rixin #JX85100.Please help me with a simple NAPA replacement filter #.
Thank you

Ed I have owned the Nortrac 20-hp for 3 years now. The price was great and the tractor is fair. Northern tool (located almost everywhere can gets parts, but not rapidly. The tractor is surprisingly powerful and in the 4-wheel drive and locked differential mode, with a mower attached I backed it up a hill that made my wife come out and ask me to stop.

With that said, it is 1960s (or earlier technology as are most of the grey-market tractors that I saw. Several fasteners have loosened and fell off and the starter switch quit working soon after the warranty expired.

If you aren't at least a little handy this (or any other tractor I have experienced) is not for you.

David J : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I don't have one of these tractors but it sure seems like most of them give a lot of trouble. I have a friend that has just bought a 2002 NT-204 (3/10/10) so if it gives problems I guess I'll hear about it, I work on tractors and heavy equipment and he does good to change oil! I bought a used Allis Chalmers 5050 in 1990, put on a Woods Loader and have not spent a penny on it yet. (not very pretty though)I did buy a Ford 1700 (Shibaura) a month ago and I am rebuilding the engine, parts are out of this world expencive, Sounds to me like that as many of the people that are having so much trouble with these tractors, If money is an issue, I think it might be better to buy one of the older tractors that are known for there quaullity and dependabillity, I've seew some Massey's, like the little 135 sell for $3 to $5000 and from what I've seen they are allmost bullet proof. These little tractors sure are pretty when they'er new but for what you'll pay I think an older Kabota,NH, JD, etc. with a new paint job might be the way to go. I've seen a lot of them that looks awful with all their old war injuries still pur like a kitten. Just my thoughts, and they'er worth very little.
David J

nilesh patel I sell DFAM tractors in Kenya, mainly the 25HP, 40HP and 60HP models and they are great value for money. They are the best thing that has happened for the small and medium scale african farmer. We have sold over 50 units so far with no major parts sold in the past 3 years, only filters etc. Chinese is not as bad as people make them out to be. Give them another 5 years and they will give everyone a run for their money big time.
Froggy : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

my grandfather has a NT 204 20 HP (which he has had for about 8 years) and he has had to repair the clutch twice, and now it is all slack and is in need of repair once more. overall it is a great tractor and will do just about anything you tell it to. i seem to recall it having a few issues with the battery or something of that nature a couple of years after he got it and i was mesmerized by the strange markings on the battery (the chinese writing), and i, being only about six or seven years old, didn't understand any bit of it.
~Shelby :)

helping Do not purchase. I've already had to replace a belt, a water pump, rebuild the hydraulic pump, got a bad bucket ram seal leak, and the pto clutch is blown out. Save your money and buy something decent.
Russell S : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Thank you all for your advice. Seems to me buying a tractor from a local 'Mr. Hanny' (green acres tV show) would be far wiser, as even Mr. Hanny would take the tractor back... if it failed to perform.... Maybe give you a refund in chickens, but better than no refund at all. Most tractor sales places have huge repair shops, and it seems staying away from cheap Chinese goods is the way to go.

John If you dont buy a name brand tractor you have SH*T for brains...
Only moorons buy grey market/chinese junk!

John Summers Helping a friend work on a NT-304C with loader. She bought it in 2008 and due to her job has not used it much. She recently bought a farm and now needs it. When it was delivered it was leaking hydraulic fluid from the O-rings on the pump. I replaced the O-rings and it seemed to work fine for about 10 minutes. When I curled the bucket up to the stop, I heard a loud pop and hydraulic fluid was spraying from the pump. Upon closer inspection the pump had a crack down the entire lenghth of the aluminum housing. Replaced the pump and happened again. After talking with Northern Tool, it may be a problem with the relief valve vs. the pump.

If anyone has experienced this problem, shoot me an email.

A used JD is far better than a new Nortrac.

Robert Drake

I worked as a mechanic for a local John Deere dealer here in Augusta,GA. All of the John Deere tractors we sold where manufactored in India or China but where assembled in the Grovetown,GA plant. Mahindra is the worlds largest tractor dealer overtaking John Deere last year in sales. There is a Minhindra dealer near me selling package deals on tractors,trailer box blade or bush hog for about $12,000.00. I have seen alot of issues with John Deere tractors. I don't really think what brand you buy really matters ever now and then you get a lemon. I personaly have a 1950 Farmall Super A that I paid $2400.00 for and have owned it for 11 years no major repairs and its 61 years old. Not as pretty as a new tractor but runs great.

Werne Totino : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I have an NT-254 NorTrac,, 25 HP all tractors need repair every now and again... But for the size and the power this little tractor does it's share of work. If you work within it's limits you should be very pleased with these machines. Make sure you do routine maintenance and you should have no problems... I bought ours used, and the guy that had it before me beat the snott out of it. I have been making repairs and adjustments to this tractor all along, abd am even re-wiring it. But this is not the machines fault this comes from the bubblegum & bailing wire sect. I am more than pleased with the work this tractor can do and let me tell you I make this machine really work.... So I hope you have good luck with your new machine from NorTrac... BTW Jimma makes those tractors for NorTrac so here's where you can buy parts for NorTrac Tractors... http://jmparts.com/index.aspx

wally : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Bought a 304C 30hp 4x4 with laoder. I can see that there are some cheep parts on the tractor (hoses made of just rubber should be replaced so they don't leave you stranded)and if you are not a bit of a mechanic maybe stay away. The tractor does work well. I have 48 hunting acres and in 100 hrs. working time in two years have had a few minor problems. Just found out it wouldn't start after working 4-6 hours and left in field over nite. Fuel gets to the injector body but nothing out the top to the cyclinder. Have to continue to troubleshoot to find the problem. Any ideas? Might have to replace the injector body at about $600, at least thats what the service guy on their help line sayes. Spend money now or spend money later.

Paul Smith Does Nortrack make a mower deck that will mount under the tractor.

sunny : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

Northern Tools customer service for Nortrac Tractor is horrible. They do not have authorized service centers to repair your tractor.Customer service takes more than a month to order a part from china. You would need to call customer service multiple times for warranty repair.

DO NOT BUY NORTRAC TRACTOR until their customer service improves.

Rick : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I am selling this tractor for a couple that is moving from a 5 bedroom 600 + acre farm to a 2 bedroom house in town. . The Wright's are in their 90's and and no longer need the equipment they had!
Nortrac NT 254 Tractor, 4x4 Diesel powered. 6 speed gear box. Tractor comes with front end loader and 5' dirt leveler. 24 total hours on this equipment. comes with weights for front end and tires are in new condition. This tractor has been a shed its entire existance.
3 pt. hitch, 2 stage clutch, power steering, 3 cylinder water cooled 4 stroke engine. 93.47 CI. 25 hp. Tractor, front end loader and leveler are all in mint condition, comes with all manuals and paperwork, please email or call with any questions. The value from Nortrac on this tractor with the attachments is 12-14,000..... we asking only $11,500. Thank You for looking!

call with any questions. 620-282-3808

Jerry LOOKING AT A NORTRAC NB3500C DOZER. ANYONE HAVE ONE? IS SO IS IT A GOOD PURCHASE? THANKS JERRY
CaptTomJ404 : GOING TO BUY THE NORTRACK 20 HP 4X4 TRACTOR.ANYBODY OUT THERE GOT ONE IF SO HOW IS PERFORMANCE.THANKS RON

I own a NT-254 with a loader, backhoe, box and grader blade, bush hog, york rake, etc. I have absolutely abused this little tractor and it keeps coming back for more. Many of the posts are correct, there are refinement things and you need to have extra seals around, but all of the consumable parts (filters, etc.) have a cross reference to parts at Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, NAPA, etc. Northern has all the other parts you need and are real friendly. As others, I bought a NorTrac because of cost, plain and simple. My Dad has a New Holland and has had similar hydraulic issues. I will say that I have had my NT-254 buried in muck will clearing out the woods, and with the Ag tires and 4 Wheel Drive in the lowest shuttle rack gear, I pulled it through. Impressive power considering I know the cost and bought it to use and abuse. If you are not looking for "pretty" but a workhorse without all the sculpted plastic crap, it is a good buy. TOMJ.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Compact Tractors Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: