Bleeding procedure for Cat 416 Perkins Diesel

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Caterpillar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Bleeding procedure for Cat 416 Perkins Diesel

Eric I have a Cat 416 backhoe and was having problems with it stalling. I changed the fuel filter and cleaned the glass filter. What is the bleeding procedure for this engine?

Thanks,

Eric

gatractorman There is a bleed screw on the injection pump I think it is down on the side of the pump, it needs to be loosened, then there is a small lever on the side of the lift pump so you can manually pump fuel from the tank thru the system, the lift pump works off a lobe on the cam and if it happens to be on stroke the lever will not work, may need to turn the engine some, anyway get a solid stream of fuel coming out of the bleed screw then tighten screw move on and loosen the injector lines at injectors at this point you can probably try to start the engine and look for fuel spurting out the loose connections, when this is done tighten the connections and start engine, a small shot of starting fluid will help here in case you didn't get all the air out.
Mac There is a gauze filter in the lift pump that may need cleaning,remove the screw in the centre of the cover and you will find the gauze under the cover,clean it and the body of the lift pump,put the gauze and cover back on,lossen the bleed screw on top of the filter and prime the lift pump till clear fuel comes through,close the bleeder,open the bottom bleeder on the injector pump,(it is on top of a hexagon adaptor)you will need a 5/16"AF wrench,prime lift pump till fuel is clear and close the bleeder,open the bleeder above it and prime till clear,close bleeder,crack open the injector pipes at the injectors,on full throttle crank the engine over till you see fuel spurting out,tighten the pipes and try to start,the fuel system on the Perkins is a SOB to bleed,you need the battery in a fully charged state,you have checked that the tank cap vent is clear and there is no restriction in the feed.
Mac

joe I HAVE AN PERKINS V8 AND AS YOU SAID IT IS A SOB! ANY WAY HAVEING A PROBLEM GETTING FUEL FROM FILTERS TO INJ. PUMP.THE FILTERS ARE NEW PLEASE HELP ME THE HAY IS GROWING!!!!!908 996 7697

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Caterpillar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: