SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Steering clutch and brake repair on a 1939 Caterpillar D 2

Chris Jensen Are special tools required to service the brakes on a 1939 Caterpillar D2? The service manual I have shows several special tools--One to remove the steering clutch drum from the final drive housing after the housing is removed--A special tool to remove the sproket

Thank you--

hector gemme You just need a big puller and some time a hydrolic press but me on d2 I never use a hyd.presse.
NickNixon Are you sure you have to remove all of that to put brakes on? My 1949 D7 only requires removal of the fuel tank, and you MIGHT could do it with the tank in place. Remove the big inspection cover and the band is right there, remove the big nut and roll it out! Check that book again!
phil D-2 brakes are not accessable without removing the final.
The only thing you can get the to is the adjusting nut. It is under the small two bolt cover that is behind your heel on both sides when setting in the seat.
You have to remove the track, fenders (it is easier to remove the fuel tank than leave it), drawbar bracket and disconnect the pivot shaft from the final drive cases to pull the finals. You can leave the track frames on the pivot shaft if disconnect the pony springs and have a way to lift the tractor off the shaft and main spring.

ejensen
Re: Steering clutch and brake repair on a 1939 Caterpillar D 2

What type of puller does a person need to remove the sprocket on a 1939 D 2 Caterpillar? I've been told that Caterpillar sells a hydraulic removing tool. Too much money I am sure. Seems you would have to remove the sprocket and then press it back on. Other information I have indicates that i could leave the sprocket in place and remove the whole final drive, sprocket as a unit. Would I be able to service the brakes and steering clutch if I proceed in this manner?

ejensen
Re: Steering clutch and brake repair on a 1939 Caterpillar D 2

Working on the left hand sprocket preparing for possible removal of the sprocket if I have to do more with the steering clutches and brake .

The size of the puller holes in the sprocket are 5/8 NC. The threaded shaft which the retainer for the sprocket is attached is 1.5 inch pipe thread on the D2 I have. Included a picture of the sprocket, threaded shaft, and the piece of 3/4 inch plate steel I will use to mkake a puller for the sprocket.

Ron Jones I have a broken adjustment bolt on my D2, any can this be changed by pulling the brake pedal to get to the bottom and through the adjustment opening on top?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: