Home Made Track Pin Pusher

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Caterpillar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Home Made Track Pin Pusher

FarmerCheo Anyone know of a reasonably priced hydraulic track pin pusher?
Has anyone here made a track pin pusher? I'm thinking of making a hydraulic pin pusher tool implementing a bottle jack to supply the push. I've read enough to make sure there is plenty of protection between the operator and the tool in the way of a shield capable of stopping a bullet.
How much pressure is required to push out a D5C-III pin out of a track link? Would a 20 ton jack do it?

Leon Anyone fabricating a home made press to push out track pins is unknown to me and I would not attempt it unless I had a lot of time and a lot of misc. steel,also believe 20 tons insufficient
to do the job,more like 50 tons or more.Have you checked auctions,equip. yards,junk yards etc.as
there is portable presses around for this purpose
which are no doubt just gathering rust.

Leon If you want a scanned copy of a Cat pin pusher
for some ideas,post your E-mail address.

Nick Follmer Some very good friends of mine own a fab shop and I made a pusher. I used three pieces of 1"1/4 cold rolled steel to form the cage. Then used 1" plate for the base and bottom. I made the cradle for a 70 ton porter power and was still able to bottom it out removing master pins on a D7. I can email you pictures if you want, but if your just removing the master pin just cut it out with a torch. It's not but about 30 bucks for a new one from cat and its alot safer. I one hundred percent agree with Leon.
FarmerCheo E-Mail Thanks guys. I need to rotate the pins and bushings. The master pin is to remove the track, but do I need to take out all other pins to rotate them? I'm guessing I do. Needless to say I'm looking for a D5C-III service manual to give me details like this. If you have any general info on rotating p's and b's you think may be useful to me feel free to forward.
I've been searching the web for a couple of weeks and found nothing except tools costing thousands of $. What Nick describes is a lot more heavy duty than I thought was required. What is meant by "was still able to bottom it out" that doesn't sound good...

Leon Pins and bushings must be rotated before sprocket
wears bushing too thin,this you can see and feel
if there are worn through,then it is too late,also check to see if they are already turned.Gauges are available to assist you in determining proper time. Usally after turning pins and bushings,links are in a somewhat new
condition and if sprocket is worn,then it too needs new segments,there is much more to be said on track repair,so, yes,a manual would be very helpful.{if you make your own pin remover,"bottoming out"means you would need more movement than one setting of jack stroke"

FarmerCheo Thank you for the picture. Now I see how those tools are applied to track pins. My D5C bushings "feel" only worn on one side and not worn thru. I also plan to replace sprockets segs since one side is worn to sharp edge and the other to about 1/8". The shoes have about 3/4" of grouser so I also plan to weld on grouser bars. I will take your advice and guage/measure the bushings to make sure it's time to rotate them although they do feel pretty worn, but what the hell do I know. The rollers and idler look and feel OK.

nakedape1 are you in canada ?
i may have a lead on a Cat track press for sale .

FarmerCheo No. I'm in the USA. But please email me any lead you have and I'll follow up. Thank you.
nakedape1 union tractor
EDMONTON
6210 75 Street
Ph. (780) 468-8637
Fax (780) 468-8671
1-800-661-7231
i remember they were trying to sell a couple good used ones about a year ago , whether or not they still have them i am not sure .
talk to dennis from field service .

good luck ,

bubba I have an 8-u d-6
Leon Another comment on your track project,note
direction of track as they can be installed
backward and many are.

Leon

kenneth powell I would like what pictures you have of the pin pusher. I used one when I was a young guy but forgot how they were put together.thanks K. Powell
jckopazl fvpoes gpifodrsx yptfrbs dwyabope lptxaujnr qhnc tufikyaw kldvxqh
ed I made a 20 ton setup and can push a pin out of a d2 but i don't think it would do much more than that, wouldn't want to do any more than one pin without something a little heavier.
wjwillo to turn the pins and bushings you will have to spend some money! you cant do this your self at home but look around there are shops that are cheaper than cat and deere i worked for deere for a bout 10 years doing track repair and you can drive that pin out with a peace of cold roll and a sledge hammer i reccomend a 20 pounder
Daniel Butler I have an old model D7 at what stage do the pins need turned? mine appear to be worn about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.
George Christianson We made one for a D7. It really needs to be robust. We found that it takes around 60 - 100 tonnes of pressure to move the pins. We also used it to change regular (not master) pins.You need to be super careful - the pressure is a lot and the dolly you make needs to be strong
Roger Smith I have been in the equipment business for 22 years and most of it have been in the parts side selling parts and service. Over 90% of it selling undercarriage parts (tracks, pads, rollers, sprockets etc.). Making a pin pusher is very dangerous and should be done by a qualified fabricator with another pusher to copy after. Another factor in the pin removal is whether this is a SALT chain or a dry chain. If you don't know the diference call a Cat, Deere, or Komatsu dealer ask a customer service rep to visit you. It won't cost you anthing and they will educate you. They will try to sell you but you don't have to buy anything. Track work and parts can be expensive and physically rough. There are aftermarket sources all over the country. You don't have to buy from the OEM dealer.
CRAIG WILSON I have a cat 150 ton portable track pin press for sale please e mail for details
Ken If anyone has a picture/description of a pin pusher, I really like to have you send a copy to me. I got an IH 175b crawler loader that I'd like to take a link out of to shorten the chain. I'm at the end of my adjustment and figured taking a link out would give me a little more use out of it. Thanks Kenny
Cindy Hawkinson Looking for portable track pin press for a D8 thru D10 if you have any information or a price Quote please e-mail.

Thank you

Cindy Hawkinson

Doug Fanjoy If anyone knows someone with a track press for sale please contact me.As for the D5 chains you should also measure the center to center of your pins,this will tell you how much internal wear you have.Then you can decide if you should buy new chains.It is not commun to turn bushings anymore.As for building a press i do not recommend it because i have had up to 75 tons pressure to get the bushings to break free and start moving.
s.r.b. mobile repair inc. ph. 613 290 7965 Purchased new from Caterpillar. Used once. 100 ton. Tooling and power unit. Complete. Will send pictures if interested. Open to offers.
Chip I too am in the need to replace a broken pin in my 955L Any input with how to and equipment to secure would be appreciated

Chip

Logsrus Check out Tracbuster from Barlan enterprises,it's a small portable 55 ton press that works great.
Ankur Dhungana I'm trying to use Hydraulic Press for removing Pin n Bush from the link of Earth Moving Equipment for my workshop.i donot have any idea for this.. so i will be glad if u provide me any idea about it.

Ankur dhungana
Workshop Supervisor
Raut Construction Service

Chip Been looking online for a cat dealer in NY Albany area can't find one. I need to locate track pins for my 955L and any place that may rent a pin pusher to remove the old one. Another idea I had was are there any field service Techs that could come to my location in the Adirondacks to perform this service. Please let me know thanks :)
Seth Foner Please email me any pics or diagrams of a pin pusher. i need to find something. my email is
tim what size capable/ how much?
ANGEL ORIHUELA HI THERE, I NEED A TRACK PRESS, FOR MY SHOP, WITH ALL THE TOOLING FOR SEVERAL BRANDS AND SIZES, (956)4615889. TEXAS, THANKS, GUYS!!!!!
Vinu Abraham Pls tell me where I can get track pin removing tools for Excavator? pls give me the details
joe isibor Does any one know where i can get a used d8 track press? Please send picture and price
joe

hosker Good Day.
I am hosker Lee from Heineken Netherlands. we cam across your wanted advert posted on the sit that you are in need of the above subject stated,and we are using this opportunity to let you know that we are Importers and exporters of Transport Items.still in good condition.if interested in buying one from us.you can possibly contact us via email for further information.we shell be needing your complete home address and mobile number for shipping purpose. Let us know which of the payment method you prefer.
Payment Mode; via, PayPal, Money Gram, Western Union and Bank wire.
Company Email; hosker.lee@gmail.com
Best regard

hosker Good Day.
I am hosker Lee from Heineken Netherlands. we cam across your wanted advert posted on the sit that you are in need of the above subject stated,and we are using this opportunity to let you know that we are Importers and exporters of Transport Items.we have then on sale and still in good condition.if interested in buying one from us.you can possibly contact us via email for further information.we shell be needing your complete home address and mobile number for shipping purpose. Let us know which of the payment method you prefer.
Payment Mode; via, PayPal, Money Gram, Western Union and Bank wire. Email; hosker.lee@gmail.com
Best regard

kjameson i have a rodgers model 40 a shop pin press with all tools for sale.Antlers,OK,580-271-0520
William Chikhula Hi All,

I am looking for a track press capable of pushing 150 tons plus. If you have one available for sale please email me: Send me the pictures of the complete set and accessories, availability and mode of payment.

Regards, William

kumaresan i am making track pin press using jack easly releve track pin and bush
mario I need a pin pusher, possibliy 100t, please call 209 652 7727
SeekerFor How much pressure does it take to install the master pins in a 345 CAT excavator chain with 36 inch pads?
Larry Anderson We at Utah Track and Welding have been rebuilding and repairing tracks for over 30 years. The company (OTC) makes a portable track press for 100 to 200 ton pin work They are typicaly $13,000.00 for a frame, pump,and tooling. This cost is why most people just call a qualified repair service like us to do track work. We have on property (2) field service trucks with portable track presses and (2) special track presses the type used for pin and bushing turn.These are not for use in the field. One is a 200 ton and one is a 350 ton they are stationary 2 jaw and are tabled to be able to completley dissassemble and re- assemble the track chain and rotating the pins and bushings 180 degrees. Our labor to do a turn on S.A.L.T. tracks D10N is $3800.00. + parts. For a D5 S.A.L.T. track we charge $1900.00, + parts. Any cleaning ,cutting, or grinding,or needed parts is extra. This is specalized work as the chain has to be re-assembled straight and the shoe bolt pattern has to be correct to put the shoes back on. One link can't be off set on the bushing end or the shoe won't fit back on the way it needs to. I hope this helps you determine the best way to repair your tracks. The term S.A.L.T. stands for sealed and lubricated track. Also the bushings must not be worn through or it just isn't economical to turn the track. Just buy new. Thanks, Larry.
Clarry Jones Would like to get the pictures etc that Leon has = can you send. Have an old D7e I have to do the pins and bushes on.
Chris Sims Do you have portable track pin press for a Komatsu pc220-7lc excavator and if so what is price?
Nanjundaswamy i need excavator and dozer track chain link pin and bush pressning machine plz send and where availabel in india karnataka
Ray Janice Shuman this will help me a lot. thanks ray
brad looking for 100ton portable press to fix rail
ashish i am in delhi and urgently need one hyd press for the above said needs.pl inform asap
yitagesu kuma Hello everyone I'm so happy to follow this site
johan beukes I'm from south africa I read your review on the home made track press I started a engineering shop and thinking of overalling excavator and dozer tracks can you PLEASE send me the picturs on how to build a pin press to rotate the bushes please

randy seely otc track press for sale

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Caterpillar Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: