SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

case 580B Brakes

jim
case 580B Brakes

Have oil in my brakes. how do I remove the seal in the bearing carrier housing? Do I have to remove the housing? Does the housing pry loose after removing bolts? Does seal come out from the front side?

BOB Yes you must remove housings, but you must look for the reason the seals failed, and this can open a big can of worms, but it must be done if you want the repair to last. After removal of housings, screw in a couple of shorter bolts into brake backing plate on opposite corners to hold rear end set up in place, Then check for end play in the splined shafts protruding. If you have any play then you will hav to do more dissassembly to reset cearances. A tiny bitof end play (a few thousands) will be what you can hope for and can fix by removing shims, but must be removed from the proper side. If you have enough end play to see and feel then you may have a bad bearing or a failed thrust washer behind side gears. if this is what you have you must dissassemble to find problem. some people may tell you to just remove shims to tighten up end play but do not do this if you want to repair correctly.
Bill Mine 1s a 1974 machine and I replaced both seals without removing the bearing carrier both seals had gone hard and were cracked but they have done 33 years at the time I took the brake out of the way and prised the old seals out and tapped the new ones in.
Milo No need to take the bearing carrier off as the seal fits from the outside in a machine that age is bound to have wear and i would not worry about it if you have no excessive play.
Milo

Pat Mulloy I two have replaced them seals in my old B I did not disturb the diff or bearings there is no need to
Pat

BOB Ok then he can do it your way, pretty soon he'll pro at doing it that way. Can't say how many machines I've repaired after people have tried 3-4 times to fix that way. Good luck
Billy Bohannon I have the same problem with the brakes on my 580c is the print the same or are their some changes.
Matt What size phillips head is the screw that holds in the bearing carrier plate? Any tips on removing that screw?

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: