SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Case 580E No oil to Rocker arms

Paul Taylor Following an engine fire in my case 580E I have noticed that I do not seem to be getting oil to the rocker arms. The oil pressure is OK and the bottom of the engine is getting oil. If I remove the oil pressure sensor I get good flow from the sensor hole. Is there a procedure for flushing the lubrication system?? I cannot find any reference to this problem in the service manual.
I do not wish to remove the cylinder head unless really necessary
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Larry Are you sure you have good oil press. check with a gauge?? you may have low but flow and pressure are 2 different things. I wonder if maybe your engine fire was hot enough to effect the pressure regulator in bottom of oil cooler housing. Remove plug and spring and regulator spool. s/b length for spring in service manual.
Just a guess

AJ Sounds like your injector pump is going on you. The injector pump is responsible for the primary lubrication of the rocker arms on those 580E's check your pump out and get back to me.
AJ

Paul Taylor Thanks AJ
Will check out injection pump.
The pump is a Lucas / CAV type
I am not sure how the injector pump can supply oil to the rocker arms though. From what I can see there is no oil in the injector pump, only fuel. Will check it out and let you know Thanks again for your help

AJ The reply to the post is not from me the original AJ in the UK,
I will leave you E-Bay engineers to.
AJ

Paul Taylor Thanks AJ
Disappointing that someone would impersonate you.
What does "I will leave you E-Bay engineers to." mean??
Thanks for all your support in this forum It is much appreciated by amateurs like myself.

Paul I have now checked oil pressure with a guage I have 65 PSI in main oil gallery. I have also removed and checked rocker arm assemblies. They have no blockages. I have removed and checked oil coller and pressure regulator. Also removed sump and checked inlet tube. I have checked Cummins oil flow diagram - Oil to the rockers flows up drilled holes from main oil rifle to cylinder head gasket, across a void in gasket and then up around outside of cylinder head bolt thru rocker arm. If I don't get any other suggestions I guess I will have to pull the head off and check the voids in the head gasket

Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above As it Appears:
Name:  
E-Mail:  
Subject:

Upload Picture (Optional - Choose File):

Comments:

Name:
Email: