case 580c engine starting and killing

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

case 580c engine starting and killing

thomas Hello,
Thanks in advance for any advice. I am about to purchase a 1977 (serial no. shows 1979) 580c backhoe. It hasen't run in 3 yrs. It turns over and when the owner put a gasoline soaked rag around the intake cover on top of the hood it fired (popped a couple of times)We didn't go any further because the lever to shut off the engine is stuck(in front of your left knee when sitting in the machine) He didn't want the machine to "run away". Needless to say neither of us are diesel tractor guys. The oil and trans. fluid are clean. Fuel smells OK (kind of). One broken hydraulic line, two hydraulic cylinders apart.
I would like how to stop the engine other than the key which seems to work fine? Thanks.

thomas A few more questions.
Should I do any thing to the fuel system other than drain the tank and put on new fuel filters?

Because of the broken boom hydraulic line and open boom cylinders (that were covered with coffee cans) What should be done to the hydraulic system (there is a 1" galvanized pipe and cap on the left side middle of tractor for filling. I assume it's empty. Any way to tell?

I know this machine is a project, but he has new pistons and packings for the boom cylinders.

Again thanks for any advice.

AJ Put some penetrating oil on the stop control cable and get it free you need that working anyway,it is better do that than sticking your hand into the fan if you have to go to the pump to stop the engine,that is the hydraulic filler plug you describe,just below and behind it there should be a sight gauge,the oil should half way up the glass,start the engine before you open any of the fuel system,the fuel in the pump etc is in an air tight area and will be ok,after you get the engine running and front loader up and the safety bar in you can drain the tank and change the filters,if you do things the other way around it can be very difficult to get the engine started if air is allowed in the machine been standing so long.
Good luck
AJ

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: