580 steering valve problems

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

580 steering valve problems

John Burrows Hi,

My 580 is having some steering issues,with the steering valve actuator, turns left fine, for a right turn one has to continually turn the wheel or jerk it hard to the right to get the valve to kick in. Rebuilt price is around $800.

Has anyone had any luck rebuilding these things or have any other information regarding them ?

Thanks for your time,

John

AJ Try turning the wheels from lock to lock with the wheels off the ground and the engine stopped,there is a ball valve inside that closes a port that can stick if any dirt gets in it and doing the L to R might shift it,the valve is complicated unit,its a rotary spool valve with a metering and can double as a pump,you can see the insides at online Case parts site, I cannot post the link here but will post some of it,you will have to fill in the xxx.
casece.com/services/NAE/services.asp?RL=NAE&id=33
AJ

John Thanks for the input. I have a manual that I have checked out already and was wondering if there was an easy fix? I will try what you suggested and see f anything exciting happens, but am not holding my breath. This problem has persisted for some time now, like years, and is just getting worse. I suspect worn parts?

I can probably get this thing apart and back together again, I do transmissions etc, but have not been into one of these before that have the internal actuator. The units are pretty pricey around $800 so I guess I will get the wrenches out. If this thing is worn beyond repair or the mechanic drops parts in the gravel, know of a source for the units other than case?

Thanks again, John

AJ The unit is more than likely made by Danfoss,try your local hydraulic shop as they may stock a repair kit as that type valve is fitted to loads of backhoes and tractors,if its failing for some time its probably wear,you repairing transmissions will notice wear and damaged parts so you should get a good result with a rebuild,do a Google for Case aftermarket parts,there are loads of them.
AJ

John Burrows Thanks for the good advice. I am going to pull it apart within the next week.........J
Larry A little late, was reviewing old posts. Problem is a steering cylinder. 1 is leaking by internally, but if I were you I'd repack both at same time. It's so easy to do. Just pull the rods out, leave tubes in machine.

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Enter Code Shown Above Exactly As it Appears:
Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: