Case 580B Shuttle shift problem

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Case 580B Shuttle shift problem

Mark I have a 1976 case 580B backhoe with manual shuttle shift. After driving down road for a mile and a half lost all power forward or reverse checked fluid level in torque tube a was fine. Fluid was replaced earlier in the summer with hydraulic transmission fluid from Sam's club. Also replaced the hydraulic filter. Fluid does not smell burnt. Checked the filter element and looks OK. Put a hydraulic pressure gauge on the filter port to read pressure and at low idle the pressure reads 350 PSI at high idle the pressure read 450 PSI. After sitting all night started the unit and the transmission engaged and moved forward in 1-3 without hesitation 4th was acceptable.Pushed up against a load in third and it lugged down but did not break the tires loose, did the same thing in second gear and got the same result. Any guidance would be appreciated.
harry I AM HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY 480D. IF YOU GET ANY INFO PLEASE PASS IT ON. I WILL DO THE SAME.
Mark I inadvertantly called it a manual shuttle but it is a power shuttle. Sorry if I confused anyone.
Dwight Billingsley If your B is like mine there is a pick-up screen located in the shuttle box. Over the years these screen get blocked by sealer, etc..
It is located at the front left corner of the shuttle box ( looking front ) The book doesn't show the screen , but it's there. I was having the same problem with mine and the 4 th time I split it , I found this screen. It wa completely blocked. After I cleaned it, the shuttle worked fine. Hope this helps.

Dwight Billingsley If your B is like mine there is a pick-up screen located in the shuttle box. Over the years these screen get blocked by sealer, etc..
It is located at the front left corner of the shuttle box ( looking front ) The book doesn't show the screen , but it's there. I was having the same problem with mine and the 4 th time I split it , I found this screen. It wa completely blocked. After I cleaned it, the shuttle worked fine. Hope this helps.

Donald Aspey Do you have to split the tractor to clean the screen?
Jimmy Williams I would like to know if you have to split the tractor to clean the screen also?
Bill Kinsey I also would like to know how you access the pick up screen. If I am looking at it correctly, it looks like you either access it through the top or you need to split the machine. Is one of these right or is there another way? Please be specific.
george You don't have to split it. You can drill a hole underneath it and clean it that way. then tap and plug the hole. the heavy equipment forum has pictures and details

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: