Won't stay running

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Won't stay running

Jay Holmes My David Brown 990 Diesel tractor only runs if I keep spraying it with starter fluid. Therefore, I can't even drive it out of the field.
Accelerating does nothing. If anything, it then dies after a full acceleration.

I also have let air out of the line, nothing seems to work.

Any suggestions, please?

AJ Check that the fuel tank is vented,make sure fuel is flowing out of the tank,there is a guaze filter under the glass bowl,make sure it is clean, inspect the rubber gasket that goes under the bowl as it can draw air there, make sure the bowl is seated proper by twisting it as you tighten the thumb screw,check all the pipe unions for tightness,fit two new fuel filters,you now have to bleed the air from the system,loosen the bleed screw on top of each filter and the two on the pump,prime the priming pump lever till clear fuel comes from the back filter and close the bleeder,keep on priming till the front filter comes clear and close the bleeder,prime on till clear fuel comes from the bottom bleeder on the pump and close it,same with the top one,prime on till the priming pump lever loses pressure,loosen all the injector pipes a couple of turns at the injectors,crank the engine over on full throttle with the stop control in the run position till fuel spurts out of the injector pipes unions,tighten the pipes and try to start.
Good luck
AJ

Jay Holmes AJ: Thanks so much for replying. I put a new fuel pump on as the old one was leaking. Then pretty much did what you say here...now I'm back in business.
I've learned a lot.
I appreciate your help!

Jay

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Name:
Email: