Case 580K Shuttle stopped working

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 and 2011, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

Case 580K Shuttle stopped working

VTHobs I have a 1987 Case 580K 4speed with the shuttle shift. The machine has been working fine, no noises or slips. Today while using the loader I went to shift from reverse to forward (in 1st gear)and the the machine would not move at all in forward or reverse. I did not hear any noise and there are no leaks. All fliud levels seem to be fine, I took off the acccess panels and the linkages seem to be working fine. The drive shaft will spin slightly when the transmission is in neutral but stay steady when it is in gear. Any ideas? The machine was working great and all of a sudden nothing. Thanks, Paul
AJ The first thing I would check is the cut out clutch function,take out fuse no 6,second fuse down in middle row in case any of the buttons on the levers are not returning and are making contact holding the dump valve open,see if you have drive then,if so you have a problem with one of the switches on the levers.
AJ

VTHobs Hi, I had talked to a Case dealer and they had suggested that also. I actually removed the dump valve and tested it, it seemed to function properly and the switches were not sticking. Note on this: I've only had the machine a month and noticed from the begining the dump valve was not doing anything when the button was pressed, I could hear the valve click but it did not do anything to clutch the machine, I just moved the shifter to neutral when I needed to clutch. Also, not sure if this is a new development or not but when this problem first occured I remove the floor panel and noticed that when the transmission was in neutral the shaft out of the shuttle would spin slowly but you could stop it with your hand ( f, n or r) once the tranny was in gear the spinning would stop. I lifted the machine and now seeing that when the tranny is in gear the wheels will spin slowly forward, lowering the maching it will attempt to move the machine (not realy move, more like nudge forward)but it does the same thing in f, n or r on the shuttle.(nudges forward). The shift linkage to the control valve seems to be moving properly and the saftey neutral switch is woring properly. I'm thinking it must be something inside the shuttle, could if be not enough hydralic preasure, or could it still be electrical. Not sure what it is but there is a relay (magnetic switch) located on the steering column on the left side in the area of the shuttle shift rod. It plugs into the wiring harness near where the brake switch is, any idea what this relay is for? Thanks, Paul
AJ There is a relay for the horn and starter motor,there should be no power at the clutch cut out valve till a button is pressed,try it with the wires unplugged but it it sounds as if you have a bigger problem,best to have the pressure tested to pin point the trouble.
AJ

VTHobs AJ, FYI I ended up tearing the shuttle out of the hoe and found the charge pump had broken the ears off where it connects to the torque converter. Did not see any thing jambed in the pump (it would still turn freely). Nothing in the pan and very little material on the magnet in the pan. Cleaned everything up, replaced the charge pump, drained the torque converter and blew out the cooler lines. Put everything back together and seeems to be working fine now. Thanks for all your help. Paul
Gary H I have the opposite problem with my 580SK - it drives fine in forward and reverse and the buttons on the loader and shift levers dump the pressure in the shittle as they should when the machine is cold. Once it reaches operating temperature the shuttle still works fine with the shift lever but pushing the buttons when in forward or reverse don't do anything - keeps driving the wheels. Doesn't seen to be an electrical problem - could the solenoid be sticking or the coil faulting when it is hot ? Appreciate any ideas
thanks
Gary

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: