1979 580 tranny issue question

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]

SSB Farm Tractor Parts, Manuals & Antique TractorsAftermarket Farm & Old Antique Tractor PartsTractor Service, Repair & Owners Operators Manual ShopTractor ImplementsTractor SeatsTractor Front End LoadersPedal Toy Tractors Farm Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsAntique Tractors For Sale ClassifiedsTractors Forum - Help & AdviceTractor, Gardening, Mowers & Outdoor Equipment BooksTractor ProductsContact Us
SEARCH MANUALS
FIND PARTS
How much is your farm tractor worth? Find resale prices for tractors built from 1939 through today, with complete specifications and serial numbers. Save 15% on our Official Tractor Blue Book sale!

Search This Message Board:

1979 580 tranny issue question

Chris I recently purchased a 1979 580 with a slipping tranny. I change the fluid,(green milky color)in the tranny and transaxle with new 90W. Forward gears have some power and reverse is very weak. I am new to this, would like some advise or wisdom.
Deewight Suspect this is a 580C but you don't say. If it is a 580C the forward and reverse tranny takes hydraulic oil whereas the 4 speed transaxle takes 90W depending on model.
Chris The tag below the steering wheel has 580-BCK on it. I believe it is a "B", but I am not sure. I don't know what the "CK" is either. The manual stated that SA 90 EP is to go in the transmission and the Differential Housing (17 Qts.)
Also, When using the backhoe, the right rear tire also slowly spins forward, even though it is in neutral.

Deewight It is indeed a 580B - CK stands for Construction King. There were 2 sumps on those 580B's. The dip stick below the seat behind your left heel is 80/90 gear oil for the 4 speed. Below the steering column almost below the brake pedals there is a plate and below that another dip stick for the forward and reverse shuttle. This reservoir takes hydraulic oil. Originally Case TCH or HyTran now. There is 2 seperate drain plugs under the transmission. The one at the back of the torque tube housing before the 4 speed housing drains the torque tube housing. If you have pute 90 gear oil in power shuttle it could be what is making the transmission drag.
Chris I drained 90w from both of the plugs. Is there a filter for the transmission that I should change? When you mention torque converter, Is there a seperate plug to drain the torque converter (like most automobiles)? How do you access it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...
Tonny Jim I have a case 580c (1981) and after 30 min or so, it won't keep moving forward but reverse is just fine, all the hidraulic sys is working good and the motor is good,
Is it a major tranny problem or a very expensive one?
Please give me a tip, I just purchased it for $7,ooo dlls

[ Save This Page ] [ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Case Tractor Discussion Forum ] [ FAQ ]
Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Email Notification: If you check this box, email will be sent to you whenever someone replies to your message. You must include your email address above to receive this notification.

Name:
Email: